Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Building bikes up from Ebay/forum bargains – show us what you’ve got!
  • Epic
    Free Member

I’ve recently built this beast up from very cheap ebay purchases. Reckon the total cost has now been around £385-395 and it’s turned out to be a damn good ride too 🙂

Anyone like to share the dodgy creations they’ve managed to scrape together from classified adds/ebay parts, and what it’s cost? Dont be shy, I’m in no position to laugh …

Oxboy
    Free Member

Fair old beast for under 400 notes! Did everything come from ebay?

jonnyvegas
    Free Member

Got this for a penny under £200.00

N O T .LOL

£400 you got a good deal pal.
    You must have never been off THE BAY …

kimbers

had the back end of a stab kickin around for a while

front end 30 on ebay
    shock swinger 3way 80 ebay
    forks drop offs 70 ebay
    wheels hope mavic 150 ebay
    brakes mono m4 75 pnikbike
    post saddle chainring 80 off ebay
    bearing kit cranks 50 crc
    chain device off a mate free 🙂
    grips free with dirt subs
    gears tyres pedals bars stem i had kickin around

about 500 i reckon but lots of fun
    makes me extra proud havin bust my balls to swap them bearings and riding sooooo sweet at cwmcarn last weekend

in the jungle before i got the m4s and e13

Northwind

I’d not actually priced this yet, most of it’s off of ebay and bikeradar. Frame, £70 (On One Scandal)… Forks, £170 (Revelation 426 dual air) off Bikeradar. X9 shifters and rear mech were £40 on ebay. Easton EC70 bars were £30 on ebay (yeah I know, second hand carbon but I’m not dead yet). Seatpost, Raceface Next SL carbon, £50 off Bikeradar. Stem is a DMR Conrod, it seemed like a good idea at the time, £2 off ebay.

So I was doing pretty well til I got the wheels, XT brakes, SLX chainset and XT cassette and front mech new 😛

Epic
    Free Member

Kimbers, nice job on the Stab!

The handlebar was already knocking around in my garage, so i guess that’s cheating, but the rest came from ebay by just being patient.

I look through the newly listed ‘Buy it Now’s’ alot and often someone wants to sell something super fast to raise money in a hurry and I snap up a bargain. Frame was £100 and so was the fork. £4 worth of pivot bearings later the frame runs like new, the fork had just been serviced by the previous owner anyway! Got the pair of Sunn Mammoth DH rims from Rutland Cycling’s ebay store for about £26pr and mate built them on to cheap deore hubs. The rest came from lucky auctions with no bidders, or newly listed bargain Buy it Now items. 🙂

Now, the sun is shining and the Scott needs a thrashing up Bringewood. See you later…

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

It’s not a mountain bike…

But was built from ebay – Frame, forks and crank (seized) in a prtty nasty condition, and all other bits sloly accumulated.

psychle
    Free Member

Those hoodies on the background look interested in your sweet ride Jujuuk 😀

ianpinder
    Free Member

Apart from the pedals and the handle bars, best bike i’ve ever owned

aw
    Free Member

are you very short ianpinder? that seat is awfully low 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Cheap Ti frame from China.
    Forks, wheels (now replaced by Hope/Mavic), chainset, mechs, shifters, brakes (now replaced by XTR), handlebar all from STW classifieds.
    New stem, new seatpost (now a carbon Superstar one), new grips, new tyres.
    Saddle was already kicking around.

Bits I’ve replaced have been sold on.

Cost? Probably around £900 in total. I still think it’s a bargain

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Spent about 6 months collecting bits for this, they were all new, but saved money where I could:

Saved on list:

£300 forks from America
    £50 Chainring/Bracket from America
    £100 pedals ebay
    £40 stem – STW classified
    £130 XO mech & shifters ebay
    £40 seatpost – Merlin offer
    £180 brakes – Merlin offer
    £? saddle – ebay

clubber
    Free Member

Other than my Bianchi road bike which was bought new, all my bikes are heavily made up from forum bargains.

Some of the best bargains:

– Rocky Mountain Element full susser – frame for £60, wheels £100 (Hope Pro2, DT), seatpost, cranks, shifters, bars, stem, brakes all also from the classifieds

– Cross Bike – everything other than the frame and fork is from the classifieds

– Single speed (853 SS specific inbred) – all from classifieds other than saddle, brakes, bars and tyres

– Kona Kilauea – all from classifieds over the years other than frame, seatpost, saddle, stem and brakes

Saved me an absolute fortune – some stuff I always get new (chains, cassettes especially) but the rest is usually just as good if used and I’ve had very few instances of classifieds parts being overly tired even when the cosmetic condition hasn’t been great.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I built this up for my brother using parts bought off the classifieds on here. Cost £400 in total so not a huge bargain but pretty good for what it is.

Epic
    Free Member

Nice bikes folks. Just shows one person’s muck is another person’s brass.

Phatman
    Free Member

somewhere around the £350 mark.

jonnrs
    Free Member

Mine mostly second hand Ebay & stw classifieds

£650 ish as it stands.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Another STWebay bike. About £700 all in. The only new bits on it are the brake pads.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I built my handjob using sale & older parts all new though.

’08 Rev 426’s for £250
    ’07 Race Face Evolve XC Crankset £57 – CRC
    ’08 RF Evolve/Deus XC finishing kit for about £80
    ’08 LX groupset (without brakes) inc cables for £50

It can be done if you’re not a bike tart who must have spangly new things all the time

firestarter
    Free Member

most of my bikes are built from bits from forum buys or deals 😉

new bartape,tyres and mechs rest used

new frame (bought cheap on bike to work and also discounted mates rates) and bar tape, guards rest used

new tyres grips and stem rest used

new frame,stem,bars,post and bb (but its all pretty cheap)rest used

all in all quite a nice collection for not too much money and i like tinkering and building anyway 😉

MrOvershoot

This came in under £200 if you ignore the parts I already had & they were all well used + they were at least 3 years old. I’m going to call it “Thug Bike” as its brutally harsh and has 203mm 6pot brakes!!

eBay purchases
    Frame £29
    Brakes £49
    Bars & Stem £10
    Gears & shifters £25
    Seatpost £5
    Saddle £10

S/H bits I had lying around
    Forks
    Wheels
    Tyres
    Pedals (the only flat ones I have)
    Grips
    Spacers
    Chainset
    Chain

CRC Flood sale
    Cassette £15
    Headset £20
    Seat clamp £5
    BB £15

All cables/outers & ferrules were bits from other sets.

Vortexracing

Mr overshoot, are those Z1SL 2003 forks?

paule
    Free Member

Got most of the bits for this from ebay, southerndownhill and here. Probably cost me about £500….. Even ended up colour co-ordinated!

MrOvershoot

Vortexracing – Member

Mr overshoot, are those Z1SL 2003 forks?

No they are 2004 Z1 FR SL’s but you were close. Bought them S/H in 2004!

Vortexracing

best forks they did.

really miss mine

MrOvershoot

Vortexracing – Member

best forks they did.

really miss mine

I think I would agree with you there, had some 04 Marathon S Coils but they were a bit flexy and I have some 08 AM 1 SL’s which are fine in a sort of clunky way.

I have changed the oil twice but the seals & bushings are still fine, that and the coating is as tough as old boots.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Building bikes up from Ebay/forum bargains – show us what you’ve got!’ is closed to new replies.