Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Builders & DIY experts help please?
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I’m after some experts advice and rough estimates of how much I should expect to pay for the work that needs doing and which jobs are easily done myself.

Job 1: Property has textured ceilings that due to propertys age, may contain asbestos.

Job 2: Provide a new lintel above front door.

Job 3: Repointing of chimney due to vegetation growth.

Job 4: Increase of air flow & ventilation beneath suspended timber floor.

Also, reason I have posted it on here is this is the only forum I find people talk the most sense and don’t railroad every topic.

Thanks in advance

RustyMac

Job 4 is something most folk could do so long as you have air bricks or vents in place already.

All you need to do is make sure the air bricks/vents on the outside are all un-obstructed and then find a way under the floor and check them from the inside.
    It is a mucky awkward job that involves crawling around in tight spaces under the floor but it is not technically difficult.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

On the report it said I needed to replace the current bricks with modern PVC ones?

footflaps

On the report it said I needed to replace the current bricks with modern PVC ones?

No need to replace air bricks unless the current ones are blocked in some way.

footflaps

Job 1: Property has textured ceilings that due to propertys age, may contain asbestos.

Just leave it be unless you want to change the look.

Job 2: Provide a new lintel above front door.

Small job for a builder or even DIY. Might need to hire some props. A lintel is about £20 from a builder’s merchant.

Job 3: Repointing of chimney due to vegetation growth.

Get a small builder in, might need scaffolding. Not an easy DIY job (well the pointing is, the working at heights isn’t).

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Okay brilliant, so I just have to get grubby and clear the current ones and the condensation will get reduced over time?

bruneep

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Ironically I’m a rail worker!

Also there’s a Damp Proof course needs putting in downstairs.

Vern0n
    Free Member

Textured Ceiling – shouldn’t cost much to have skimmed, or sealed boarded & skimmed if you’re paranoid!
    Lintel – what’s wrong with the old one…? Is it faulty or not there!?
    Chimney – couple of hundred quid and a bit for scaffold
    Air bricks – as above just ensure they are clear of rubble / obstruction. Mucky but simple job. Assuming existing air bricks haven’t been covered / buried by patio slabs etc!

Vern0n
    Free Member

Condensation – do you mean the air bricks / vents on the upper wall then ??

footflaps

Also there’s a Damp Proof course needs putting in downstairs.

Hmm, they write that on all surveys. 99% chance it’s fine without one unless you live in a swamp.

My house had ‘extensive rising damp’ which turned out to be a leaking shower tray.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Ah, well the front room will be getting replastered anyway so I can get that ceiling skimmed while I’m at it. Belting.

All the report says is ‘provide suitable lintel above the front entrance door opening’

footflaps

All the report says is ‘provide suitable lintel above the front entrance door opening’

So there could easily be one there, just the surveyor couldn’t see it and couldn’t be arsed to have a probe. Unless it’s sagging, just ignore this.

House buyer reports are 99% scaremongering drivel.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

To be honest me and the mrs have taken it as read that all of this work HAS to be done and is absolutely critical.

Marin
    Free Member

Skim ceiling, clear airbricks, bricky for pointing, surveyors and surveys mostly rubbish. I work with them a lot.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

That’s brilliant. So I’ll pay for pointing and plastering and I can do the rest. Luckily I’ve got a brilliant bloke who plasters to make a few quid now he’s retired.

RustyMac

If you want to be on the safe side get a few builders round to quote for replacing the door lintel and sorting the chimney.

My interpretation of Job 1 is that that statement is an arse covering exercise, surveyor could not conclusively say there was no asbestos so is simply saying there may be, there is also a good chance there is not but something to think about before you go ripping the ceiling down.

Job 4 get after it your self. When under the floor clear away debris from around vents and by any joist.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

If the house is old enough to have asbestos ceiling, it’s old enough to have fallen down already because it doesn’t have a lintel over the down.

So the fact that it’s still standing means that door is just fine as it is

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

There’s a modern UPVC door on the front, builder wouldn’t have fitted that without a decent lintel would they?

br
    Free Member

There’s a modern UPVC door on the front, builder wouldn’t have fitted that without a decent lintel would they?

How do you know a builder was involved…

wicki
    Free Member

Put up a new plaster board ceiling and fill sand joints its easy,just find the joists and mark them on the wall hire a plaster board lifter.

putting a lintel in is not hard dig the old out and put new in its messy and probably noisy but take your time and have an acroprop ready if needed but normally not.

chimney hire a man I hate heights it will probably require scaffold.

floor may take time and be very inconvenient(no one wants the floor up for days) maybe hire for that to.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Builders & DIY experts help please?’ is closed to new replies.