Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Buckled tyre after puncture?!
  • cookci

I pinch flatted (tubless) on a long rocky descent so I put a tube in and carried on. Punctured again, looks like a hole from a thorn maybe in the tread area, I repaired using a puncture repair kit and then punctured again (looks like another thorn type hole) but I was really close to home I decided to just keep pumping tyre up, I never ran it completely flat however I was pretty low at times (it was road only from here on)

got home and fixed the tyre, added more sealant and pumped up. Noticed the tyre/wheel was buckled so I removed the tyre and balanced the wheel, put the tyre back on to see that the tyre is heavily buckled!

ive tried putting the tyre on the rim 180 degrees round (taking note of where the buckle was) and it followed

is it possible I’ve buckled the tyre!!? It’s a minion ss

Premier Icon NewRetroTom
    Subscriber

I think you just haven’t got the bead onto the rim properly. Check all the way round on both sides that the moulding marks on the edge of the tyre are even. Sometimes pumping up to a higher pressure helps the bead to ping into place.

cookci

Out of pure desperation I pumped I up to 55psi. It didn’t explode or help either. I put my fingers in my ears when I did it lol. Like I say I removed the tyre and put it back on 180 degrees different but exactly the same buckle appeared on the other side!

It does pop onto the rim

kiksy

The Maxxis “wib-wobs”.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>I’ve had it happen to a Shorty and DHF WT and friends have had it happen to DHRs too. </span>

It seems to happen to me if I land a jump a bit sideways, but Boxxer on here managed to do it just doing cutties.

Don’t think there’s a fix for it, but I did manage to improve my DHF a bit by pumping it up to 60psi and leaving it overnight.

cookci

Brilliant I didn’t know about that but I suspected it was damaged! Something which doesn’t happen to any other brand I guess?

This is such an expensive hobby!

bella

I’ve managed to do something similar riding out an enduro stage at inners with a flat.  Punctured about 50m into a top to bottom run so tyre did take some abuse.  Had to bin tyre in the end.

boxxer7

It’s a known issue, maxxis are pretty good at replacing them on warranty.

cookci

Is it still worth trying when there is damage to the tyre? I had to glue a small slit back together in another area

Premier Icon slackalice
    Subscriber

I’ve had a similar tyre issue to you with a 2.3ish Continental Mountain King Protection IIRC. Fitted to my front wheel and was never the same after an OTB’s incident. I bought a new tyre, I think I went for a Spesh GC grid.

oldtalent

I read the thread title & though ‘bet its a maxxis’ !

Bin it & move on.

I always thought it was because they were so thin, but ive had a brand new bontrager dh tyre that was buckled after fitting.

cookci

Thinking a Vitoria barzo as a replacement, any thoughts on that?

carlos

Punctured again, looks like a hole from a thorn maybe in the tread area, I repaired using a puncture repair kit and then punctured again (looks like another thorn type hole)

Is that through schoolboy error and not checking the tyre before fitting the tube?? I know a few people that have done that

Its not uncommon to have damaged the sidewall. Over the years I’ve had a Conti MK, Bonty XR4, Spesh Purg and an On One CM do this. Its as if the side wall threads have either broken or distorted enough to allow the tyre to deform, creating a twitch in the tread but the wheel runs true.

If you are running it on the rear its not so bad, but as above prob best to bin it and get something else/another one

Something which doesn’t happen to any other brand I guess?

I’ve done it to a Maxxis Shorty, and also to a spesh purgatory.

jonnym92

Yep, done this to a Minion SS too, I warrantied it with Maxxis and got a new one believe it or not.

Also done that to a Bonty SE5. Bit of a bugger.

milky1980

Had that happen on a few tyres from different manufacturers, not uncommon really as everyine above proves!  Had to bin a few Conti’s, Bontys and Maxxis tyres due to it. managed to warranty on e of the Conti’s after it did it on a landing and put me OTB and broke a few ribs.  The others all did it when they were pretty worn so just replaced them.

PJay

Tyres can buckle when some of the treads snap within the tyre. I don’t think that this should happen but some tyres do seem to suffer; I ended up returning a lot of Intense tyres years back (Intense did accept that this was a known issue).

scruff

Ive had it happen eith a DHR and a HR2, you can feel the bead inside bit isnt locked into the rubber.

cookci

I guess the thorns were already there you mean? 🙂

Johny, Did they want the old one back? I’d think they see the patch on the back of the other area of the tyre and reject it for me (it’s not related to this though)

Not just Maxxis. I’ve been running Rubber Queens, now Trail Kings on both mine and Katies bikes for some years now.  We had one batch of 3 tyres (bought at the same time) that all buckled like this.  Not had any go before or since.  Put the first two down to bad luck/riding but when the third went I got it replaced under warranty,

carlos

I guess the thorns were already there you mean?

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Yeah a mate did it twice in the space of 30 mins</span>

I used to think it was just Conti tyres that were prone to casing warping (due to ply-fibre tearing) , but I did it the other day to a 2.4 DHR II 3C EXO landing a bit sideways. Maxxis replaced it with a DD version which was good of them.

I did this to a Spesh grid casing.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Buckled tyre after puncture?!’ is closed to new replies.