Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Brooks saddle any good ?
  • sheepshifter
    Free Member

Always fancied a brooks leather saddle are they any good on a mtb and what model should i go for.Weight not a issue im not a weight weenie but durability and weatherproofness is my biggest issue.Saddle used at the mo on my 4 bikes Charge Spoons which are great but love the asthetics of some of the coloured B17s Cheers Chris

trail_rat
    Free Member

“but durability and weatherproofness “

forget it then ..

they require fairly special attention to keep em sweet.

Love my b17s …. not so hot for my swallow ti – in as much that its now decoratin my garage wall !

creamegg
    Free Member
    Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

there is enough things to go wrong and need fixing on a mtb without introducing technology from 200 years ago

jkomo

I had a Brooks on my old hardtail. I found it rubbed my legs when standing on the pedals.
    I wouldn’t recommend.
    Put it on my retro GT run around, lovely.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve got a prototype Swallow on a MTB – it’s been on there for years, still perfect. I don’t do much of anything to it, just very occasional Proofide.

It does seem that there are some problems with newer Brooks – I don’t know if Selle Royal are making them use inferior leather or something, that was certainly a worry when SR first took over the company.

ThePinkster

I’ve been running a black B17 on my ID5 since last Christmas (surprise pressie from the wife!) and love it. Used to find the WTB saddle it replaced comfy but the B17 is an improvement even on that.

As long as you proofhide it top & bottom before it gets wet and redo it every so often (not when it’s wet though) it should be fine.

They’re not light but the comfort is definitely worth it.

druidh
    Free Member

Great on my tourer but if you get it muddy and gritty and then rub it on with your arse then expect the finish to deteriorate rapidly.

philtricklebank

I’ve run a B17 special off road for a few years, very comfortable. Needs the proof hide regularly, more so underneath than on top. The shiny finish is lost on a gritty/wet ride, but it does come back with proof hide to some degree. I run mudguards, at the disgust of my fellow riders, but is does look after the saddle (and dropper post) a bit more. On very wet/gritty rides it is worth using the cover on it too.

Personally, unless you are into long XC or enduro type rides it may not be worth the hassle of looking after it. The more miles you do though, the more grateful you’ll be for that 200year old tech…

trail_rat
    Free Member

ive had next to no issues with my b17 – treated the swallow the same way with proofide and kept it covered on really wet rides , used a mudguard etc etc ….

mid strathpuffer (a dry one but with snow on the ground)

i found the leather had got wet and stretched so much i was basically sitting on the metal work 🙁

never had that issue with my b17s done many thousands of miles with them , brown ones still comfier than my black one – always has been 🙁

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Trail_rat, tou interested in selling your swallow ti?

E-mail in profile if you are

trail_rat
    Free Member

im not going that far … it still comes out for good weather days and most of the summer. i just fit an old shape flite for winter

chestrockwell

I’ve not had one but the lads I know that have swear by ’em.

igm

Ti Swift on my Gryphon.

Comfort-wise, for the first few hours I thought I’d made one of the worst purchasing decisions ever.

Now, well let’s just say it’s the only saddle I really don’t care whether I’ve got cycling shorts on or not. Comfy either way.

That said you look at it and you can see divots where my sit bones go.

ThePinkster

As a friend of mine once described his Brooks saddle – it fits like a Bum-Glove 😆

winston_dog
    Free Member

Spa cycles do cheaper Brooks Copys

They also have a Brooks sale

I have a Brooks B17 Imperial and a standard B17 on my road bikes. Very comfy. I got a new (to me) Spesh Roubaix with a Body Geometry saddle the other week. I gave the saddle a try and after the first outing swapped it for my Brooks, the difference was amazing. The 200 yr old tech proved itself again!

zilog6128

Use mine on the commuter in all weathers, pissing rain, etc. It gets wet, then it dries out. I have the Brooks cover but I’ve never used it! Proofide once a month now (was once a week for the first 500 miles or so) and it seems totally impervious to the weather now! As has been said (proper) mudguards are probably a good idea.

downshep

On my third Brooks just now.

The advantage and disadvantage of ye olde english leather saddle is that the leather moulds from factory shape to your arse shape. Nothing else comes close for comfort once it has broken in but it will require a little care if it is not to pass through the ‘perfect’ stage and become too soft and saggy. Water absorption or overwaxing can ruin them. I use nikwax on the underside to protect and soften when new and occasional shoe polish on top to provide a waterproof skin without further softening.

Biggest problem for me is the cost outlay and simply not knowing which one to choose. The frames are all subtly different between model numbers. It isn’t as simple as sit bone width as the reach and height difference between saddle and bars will alter the angle of the rider’s back, rotate the pelvis and change which part of the sit bones is being sat upon. Brooks, CTC and other web sources can give general advice regarding wide saddles for sit up and beg / narrow saddles for lower bars but specific advice from others on exact models is of limited use as your arse is unique.

FWIW, I’m quite slim with a narrow pelvis, here’s my experience;

1st was an old B17 on a road bike, dead comfy for years until the sides splayed too much and rubbed my thighs. Should have punched and laced it but sold it with the bike.

2nd was a 1980s B66 (a B17 with soft springs) used on a rigid MTB. Best saddle ever but the lovely give of the rear springs was offset by a rock solid bollock bursting nose. Off road riding ‘on the rivet’ was a big no no. Still regret selling it with the bike.

3rd is a Conquest (Team pro on firm springs) currently adorning a commuter. Took ages to break in but now a good shape for me but the springs are too firm and only give on very rough surfaces. To be fair it is an MTB saddle. Still dead comfy though.

Also using a Wrights Model 40 (B17 copy) on a borrowed bike. Comfy and supportive but already shaped to the owner’s bahookie, so slightly ‘off’.

Next one will be a Team Pro or B17 narrow for the Audax bike.

Your best bet is to borrow one or more and feel what general shape of frame is closest to your shape and posture. The leather and yer bum will do the rest.

giantjason
    Free Member

i have a brooks swallow on my commuter with full mudguards and it is the best saddle i have used.

i wouldnt use it on an mtb though unless you had full mudguards to protect it from the wet and grit.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Brooks saddle any good ?’ is closed to new replies.