Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 665 total)
  • British and Irish Lions
  • backhander
    Free Member

Lions in 2001 lost 2,1 to australia

So we did, still not good.
    Still, Powell? awwwww.

IdleJon

Have you lot stopped to watch Munster stuff the Scarlets then?

anagallis_arvensis

Have you lot stopped to watch Munster stuff the Scarlets then?

I’m not a sadist, christ that was poor team scarlets put out though. Looks like O’Leary may have a bust ankle poor sod. Who’s next in line Peel, Care, Blair?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – according to the Guardian Cusiter is the next in line. I hope so – he has been so unlucky with his international appearances – 3 times now he has claimed the starting berth for Scotland and each time he has got injured and someone else grabs the place and makes it their own.

Went on the last lions tour and got 1/2 a game – where he did really well

Taz

Spot on TJ.

That said I think Blair sold himself short in the 6N’s also. Would have liked to have seen him on the plane. Not sure he merits it though

TimP
    Free Member

Confirmed broken ankle for O’Leary. He will be back but tough draw after the announcement on Tuesday

anagallis_arvensis

Cussiter wouldnt be my choice, but I’m sure he’d do well, who ever it is for some reason with scrum half (a position we have real strength in depth) I wouldnt bet against whoever it is startig the tests.

IdleJon

For those of you who don’t get Scrum V, they mentioned that Nick Robinson (Blues) is officially on standby to go out to SA should anything happen to Jones or O’Gara.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Going by the last couple of Lions tours he will almost certainly get the call up and quite right too on form he can boss a game better than Jones or O’Gara but he is not as reliable. Shame he’s not much of a place kicker.

Probably be cheaper for the Lions committee to hire there own jet with all the toing and froing theres going to be with injuries going home and replacements on way out.

anagallis_arvensis

Nicky Robinson has shown some really good form this season, but it shows the lack of depth doesnt it, I mean he has to my knowledge never really played well for Wales and hasnt played for Wales in any meaningful matches. They’ll be calling up Dan Biggar next.

Taz

So Blair got the nod.

Before the 6 nations I had him as shoe in for the lions. Hopefully he will recapture some form whilst out there

anagallis_arvensis

Quinlan now joins Tomas and tom S in not going, but in Quinlans case its because he’s a dirty thug.

thug

IdleJon

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/8055640.stm

Details of the 1st team to face the Lions.

anagallis_arvensis

lions team v Royal XV:

Lee Byrne (Ospreys/Wales), Tommy Bowe (Ospreys/Ireland), Keith Earls (Munster/Ireland), Jamie Roberts (Cardiff Blues/Wales), Shane Williams (Ospreys/Wales); Ronan O’Gara (Munster/Ireland), Mike Blair (Edinburgh/Scotland); Andrew Sheridan (Sales Sharks/England), Matthew Rees (Scarlets/Wales), Adam Jones (Ospreys/Wales), Simon Shaw (London Wasps/England), Paul O’Connell (Munster/Ireland – captain), Joe Worsley (London Wasps/England), Martyn Williams (Cardiff Blues/Wales), Andy Powell (Cardiff Blues/Wales).
    Replacements: Lee Mears (Bath/England), Phil Vickery (London Wasps/England), Alun-Wyn Jones (Ospreys/Wales), Stephen Ferris (Ulster/Ireland), Mike Phillips (Ospreys/Wales), Stephen Jones (Scarlets/Wales), Riki Flutey (London Wasps/England).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Riki Flutey (London Wasps/England/New Zealand Maoris).

Really annoys me that he’s playing for the Lions having previously played against them as a NZ Maori.

Good looking team otherwise.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I don’t think too much can be read into that for the test team. Geech has said that everyone will get a start in the first couple of games and the guys who played in the finals at the weekend would be rested for this weekend.

If anything I think / hope thats the second 15

anagallis_arvensis

Potential test back three, other than that looks second teamish. Suprised that back three has been picked mind as the rest of the team is a real mix of new combinations, like 13-9, front row and second row. Earls and Roberts could be an exciting mix, just a shame there’s a speedbump defending the 10 channel. Expect Hook to be test bench cover for 10 rather than O’Turnstyle especially as he covers 10, 12, 13 and 15. I expect a 5 to 2 forwards to backs mix for the test bench.

anagallis_arvensis
    fwb2006
    Free Member

Thanks for the link dude, keep em coming

anagallis_arvensis

**** me, how shit?

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

unbelievable. crap hands at the back, one good rolling maul… not much to shout about. thanks for the link by the way.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Looking a bit better at half time but jeez some of our lads are blowing already

anagallis_arvensis

Blair, O’Kick a lot and and Earls to be shot at half time, Worsley proving me right and Wallace is no 8.

pantsonfire
    Free Member
    pantsonfire
    Free Member

2 missed Lions tries in 2 minutes

robbo1234biking

Well that was a pretty awful display on Saturday – hopefully Wednesday will be better. Not many people played half as well as they can – they all looked tired by half time too which doesn’t bode well. Hopefully there will be a stronger team out on Wednesday

Good points – lee Byrne, Flutey looked lively when he did play. Roberts may have broke a few tackles but not convinced by his display – didn’t provide much more in attack

Bad points – the rest! back row was slow and awful at the breakdown, Second row took two steps backward most of the time and seemed to take the ball standing still. Front row poor in the loose (difficult to tell in the scrums as not many went well!)

Pigface
    Free Member

Not great but first games are always a bit sketchy, a win is a win. Now onto better things.

As a Welshman I was very interested to see the Baba’s did so well 😉

whytetrash

Pigface can’t argue…

Lions win, Wales win…Babas win…good weekend! 😆

robbo1234biking
    hugorune

Looks like their saving Murray and Ford for the sat game. Can’t be much worse than the pack that played on Sat.

Pigface
    Free Member

Apart from the front row who looked very average thought the pack did ok, steady and workman like rather than stellar. The ref didnt ping there front row for popping up at all. Not sure if this is SH ref interpretation or just a cack ref

anagallis_arvensis

Adam Jones destroyed his opposite number in the scrums but did F all else as did Sheridan both looked like donkey’s with a poor workrate though and Rees is just plain shit. I suppose to be fair to Jones and Sheridan dragging that bulk around at altitude with no time to prepare is tough. Gethin and Murray would be my test props. Blair was beyond awful so I will forgive the shit display from O’Gara, almost felt sorry for him.

Robbo, I think Roberts was very good but never had any support, Earls was either always in the wrong place or dropped the ball and the backrow went AWOL. I think Roberts with O’Driscol outside could be tasty. Byrne, Roberts, Bowe and the desire to keep goinng and pull it all back were the plus points.

IdleJon

Yeah, the ref wasn’t exactly as sharp as he should have been considering he’s supposed to be one of the best in the world.

I’d give the Lions the benefit of the doubt because of altitude and heat – don’t forget it’s warmer there than here, and a lot of the players will not have played in any heat for a few years because of the crap weather we’ve had over here lately. Excuses, yes. Poor excuses, yes again.

The Lion’s back row was appalling. But then Worsley doesn’t exactly play the dynamic game that Williams plays, and the 8 was playing out of position. They didn’t combine well – understatement.

As for stand out players – 3 out of 4 tries from the Ospreys, can’t ask more.

The poor players were exactly the ones you would expect – Blair, Earls, Worsley. All borderline tourists, and when Blair was called up most people I know asked why a handful of other 9s hadn’t been selected in front of him. A token Scot. Shane Williams tried too hard and disappointed.

The Golden Lions next at altitude, with a proper partisan crowd, and a few questionable selections again. I’ll cross every thing I can possibly cross.

loddrik
    Free Member

Rugby is for toffs, as is cricket for that matter.

IdleJon

“loddrik – Member

Try standing on a terrace in south Wales and arguing that one.

robbo1234biking

I think Roberts with O’Driscol outside could be tasty. Byrne, Roberts, Bowe and the desire to keep goinng and pull it all back were the plus points.

Yeh I would agree with that as Roberts should be able to draw in a number of tacklers and hopefully pop it off to BOD who should be in the right place! We will see how it goes tomorrow evening. Im interested to see how Tom Croft will go as well and I think this backrow should go much better than on Sat.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

loddrik – Member

Ironic isnt it someone comes onto a forum thats about a middle class sport and is so middle class its probably powered by extra virgin olive oil and starts going on about toffs 🙄

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Jamie Roberts is 100% of teh awesomeness!

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

croft is also the don of running fast for a big fella. Roberts is having a bloody good game.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Agree with you there CFH – and BOD is god

This is much more like it. Forwards roughing ’em up in the tight and the loose and getting the platform for the fancy boys to do their stuff. A couple of folk really nailing down their test place. Roberts, Croft.

Bring on ford and Murray for the second half. Those boys will do the stuff

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 665 total)

The topic ‘British and Irish Lions’ is closed to new replies.