Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Brewdog Shares
  • zilog6128

I’m curious to watch how the Carbon Neutral thing goes

they actually (claim to be – not fact checked it yet!!) Carbon Negative now, first brewery to achieve that if true AFAIK!

johndoh
    Free Member

Although slightly different from the various Brewdog offerings I drink, I would argue that it isn’t “much nicer” for a lot less money.

Well it all depends on your taste, but at 99p a can for lots of their beers, that’s around 25% cheaper. How much cheaper do you want it to be?

Granted my current favourite is £1.25 but I would rather pay £1.25 for it than £1.25 for a tin of Punk IPA. But again, that’s my preference and yours may well be different.

bear-uk
    Free Member

I invested in brewdog, Northern monk, brew York and left handed giant mainly because its my money and I spend it how I want. BTW my free brewdog beer fridge only cost me 2k 😭
    So if the ops wife wants to buy a couple of shares then let her.
    If you get chance to go to the brewdog agm it’s a great day out.

dissonance

I’ll still buy some of their collaboration beers, as I can’t get things like Cloudwater locally.

Cloudwater have free shipping over 40 quid with a random selection of other companies beer in their store. Quick delivery as well.

For Brewdog.
    They arent my favourite beer but better than many and a fairly reliable fallback.
    Whilst I can see why people do get annoyed at their approach on the flipside they have avoided the fate of many of the similar age successful craft breweries and havent been brought out.
    I wouldnt invest, at this stage, hoping for any real returns though. I do have some older shares which give an ok discount.

onewheelgood

Although slightly different from the various Brewdog offerings I drink, I would argue that it isn’t “much nicer” for a lot less money.

Indeed. OK for the price maybe, but definitely not nicer. And actually, when I can get 48 cans of Punk or Hazy Jane for £45 delivered, not even cheaper either. So, not as nice, more expensive, and higher COVID risk – I’m out.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Cloudwater have free shipping over 40 quid

Now that IS overpriced beer.

A 6 pack of 5% pale ale for £25? No 5% pale ale is worth that!

wordnumb
    Free Member

The company that recently brewed hand wash for their local hospital only for it to not be alcoholic enough for clinical use?

willard

You can get beer for less than 1 UKP?? Shiiiit. Over here almost any decent beer is only sold in the State monopoly shop (with limited opening hours) and I have yet to see a decent been for less than 25-odd SEK. Most of the good, local, micro-brewery ones are 30SEK and up.

Keeps it as something to be enjoyed as a luxury instead of sunk in great number I guess.

zilog6128

@wordnumb Which then prompted them to make more that was strong enough, I believe they’ve donated 50k+ bottles to NHS/charities now. What was your point again? 🤔😂

gobuchul
    Free Member

The company that recently brewed hand wash for their local hospital only for it to not be alcoholic enough for clinical use?

That’s not actually true.

I am not a Punk fanboy or anything but they seem to be getting shit for stuff that isn’t really bad.

They have a distillery so they wouldn’t of brewed it. You can’t brew alcohol to 68%.

It was a free product to be available to anyone who needed it.

It was fine from a UK HSE point of view >60% alochol but fell short of the 70% required by the hospitals.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/apr/02/brewdog-hand-sanitiser-turned-down-local-hospitals-scotland

From their website, it seems that they have fixed the issue and have produced a lot of it since and it would of been a really easy fix.

johndoh
    Free Member

definitely not nicer.

I can’t agree with that. Taste of beer isn’t an absolute and there are many beers that are the same price or cheaper than Punk that I much prefer. You may not and that’s fine, but I never choose to buy Brewdog beers as I prefer others.

gobuchul
    Free Member

there are many beers that are the same price or cheaper than Punk that I much prefer

I agree there are.

However, it’s not just about Punk.

Hazy Jane and Elvis Juice are the same price or cheaper than Punk and they are way better.

£50 for 48 cans of Hazy Jane delivered or the 48 mixed case takes some beating.

https://www.brewdog.com/uk/shop/this-weeks-offers

YMMV.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

My local Aldi doesn’t seem to stock much IPA for some reason?

Mine stocks Proper Job which, in my opinion, is a far better tasting beer than anything Brewdog has to offer. And it’s bottle conditioned. £1.50 for 500ml which is reasonable today…

madhouse

I have shares. I drink BrewDog beer. I drink a lot of other peoples beer. I also brew my own.

As an investment, I may or may not make any money from the shares themselves, shares are tradeable to anyone with a computershare account but it’s a private deal. There are share trading days but they aren’t regular and don’t happen while there’s a funding round going on.
    But share ownership = discount and that often means that the online price is comparable to the supermarket – but as they will openly tell you, they’d rather you buy their supermarket beer from supermarkets.

It’s the low volume stuff they make that interests me the most, you can’t get that in supermarkets and it’s more expensive by it’s very nature, that’s where the discount is more useful. I’ve made my modest investment back in discount, so as far as I’m concerned it’s paid for itself.

As for the company, well it’s no worse than a lot of others out there and actually a load better than some where the likes of the Tomorrow Charter and B-corp plans are concerned. As a shareholder you have access to the forum and therefore access to James and Martin so actually you have more input into the company than you would being a shareholder pretty much anywhere else.

In summary, if you buy the beer or visit the bars anyway it’s worth it for access to the discounts. If you like the environmental credentials and want to support that then go for it. If you want them for a purely financial investment then that ship may have sailed, but you really don’t know what they are worth until an IPO or the like and don’t expect one of those any time soon.

johndoh
    Free Member

Hazy Jane and Elvis Juice are the same price or cheaper than Punk and they are way better.

I don’t think I have tried either of those, but I did buy a couple of cases of Brewdog Winter Mix (just after Christmas when they were selling it off cheap) and out of the tins in there, the Punk was the best and by far the worst was Zombie Cake – particularly unpleasant. I have two tins of it free to collect if anyone wants to collect from Harrogate 🙂

I think I am just one of those people that doesn’t get on with the Brewdog taste.

Edit, the case had Hazy Jane in it – clearly it didn’t appeal to me as I don’t recall it.

jimdubleyou

For those of you worried about trademarking punk, I think the company have a pretty clear conscience here

https://www.brewdog.com/blog/please-dont-steal-our-trademarks

Also –

I love how it costs as much (if not more) to buy directly than it does to buy from Tesco, Asda etc. They must be shitting themselves from laughing so much at the size of their rapidly expanding bank balance.

The online shop, until recently, wasn’t making money and was primarily used by shareholders. They have recently dropped the prices and reduced the shareholder discount. I hear it’s doing better now.

Why contribute financially to a conpany that produces good drinks but who’s owners are clearly the antithesis of good, friendly helpful brewers.

They literally produce a book with all their recipes in them…

As to the OP – It’s not really much of an investment these days. My two EFP1 shares have mushroomed into 1000 now. I sold 40 when they did a mini cash out to some venture capitalist bunch which covered my initial outlay.

I was too greedy last year on the trading day and missed out. I’m about to cash out half-ish of what I have left to fund a new bike purchase. This can only be done because some bloke on the forum is organising it to a private seller (for less than the trading day price last year).

The online shop has been a bit disappointing lately, but they do do some very palatable AF beers which seems to be what I spend on mostly.

footflaps

For those of you worried about trademarking punk, I think the company have a pretty clear conscience here

https://www.brewdog.com/blog/please-dont-steal-our-trademarks

Does seem pretty reasonable….

tpbiker
    Free Member

Does seem pretty reasonable

Regardless, the product tastes disgusting imo

Much better with something from a small independent like tempest (who are also involved with biking in borders area!), and brew beer that doesn’t taste like piss.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

I bought the minimum 2 shares a few years ago because I liked the company and the beer. with the discounts in the bars I must be getting close to covering the cost. The company has changed a lot in the last couple of years. Like others have noted Brewdog are now behaving like the companies they set out to challenge. The recent re-brand seemed to show that the young punk had grown up and got a job as an accountant but still tries to be a punk at the weekend.

Holding the membership card while you wait at a busy Brewdog bar does seem to get you served a little bit quicker. But apart from that and the discount it doesn’t get you much else. when I’m away a Brewdog bar is normally a safe bet for somewhere to find good beer from some of the local craft brewers.

Equity for Punks is a supporters club. Join it to get the discount and the odd freeby.

wordnumb
    Free Member

@zilog6128

What was your point again?

My point was that it’s funny a beer company made a product, initially, that wasn’t alcoholic enough. Having checked again, it still is funny.

Gobuchul sed> That’s not actually true… but fell short of the 70% required by the hospitals.

So it was true, intially?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Rubus is ok. I have a can chilling in the fridge but I still started my Friday with a punk. Much nicer.

Likewise when it comes to fruity citrus beer id have an Elvis juice over a rubus any day.

But rubus is cheap. That’s why I drink rubus it’s 70% of the Elvis juice for a similar % of the price.

Kuco

Went to Brewdog in Bristol a couple of years ago, thought it was a mediocre drink, and not bothered with it since. But that’s just my taste a couple in the group love the stuff.

Mikkel
    Free Member

how long can they cling on to the craft beer title?

ross16v
    Free Member

I bought some shares during the 2nd EFP scheme so now have a few shares. To be honest, I do like a lot of their beers, 5am saint and Elvis Juice in particular, but am growing to dislike Brewdog as a company. They’re basically just a big marketing machine, albeit a very good one. Punk my arse 😀

Oh, and I can buy many of the beers at Tesco for cheaper than the online price minus punk discount. The EFP forum is full of fanboi’s, defending the extra cost when folk complain.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Gobuchul sed> That’s not actually true… but fell short of the 70% required by the hospitals.

So it was true, intially?

Are you a daily fail journalist?

No. They didn’t “brew” any hand wash, not 1 drop was “brewed”.

They also didn’t produce it just for the local hospital.

What they produced in the initial batch was still useful to a lot of people.

They did it for free. Unlike a lot of people who have made huge amounts of money with some very dodgy dealings during the current pandemic.

They have since corrected their product and have produced loads which has been used “clinically”.

ratherbeintobago

I’d rather drink a pint of *insert name of ubiquitous pub draft lager* than Lost Lager

I bought some Lost Lager a while back. It just didn’t taste of anything; I’d also far rather have Estrella/Amstel/other commercial lager.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Gobuchul asked>Are you a daily fail journalist?

No, I don’t work for a newspaper.

The word “brew” was chosen to tie in with the company name, dawg, rather than to demonstrate an exacting knowledge of their production methods. It was reported that they manufactured the hand wash with the hospital in mind. I’m not trying to knock the company and I’m aware they fixed the formula. It’s just a bit funny, is all.

Futureboy77
    Free Member

I’m curious to watch how the Carbon Neutral thing goes

they actually (claim to be – not fact checked it yet!!) Carbon Negative now, first brewery to achieve that if true AFAIK!

This is what I’m curious about. They are boldly making a claim to now be carbon negative, yet every bit of detail behind the claim that I have read is about how they plan to achieve it.

If I was a cynic, I’d say it’s a bold marketing statement to get approval from the buying public who won’t look at the detail.
    That said, I’d happily be proved wrong.

zilog6128

@Futureboy77 yeah every article just seems to be the same regurgitated press release which is a bit sketchy on actual info. However I found their sustainability report which you can download on their website. Basically they’ve bought 2000 acres in the Highlands and plan to plant 1m trees in the next 2 years which will result in them removing twice as much carbon as they generate. Until that happens they say they are making up the difference by funding carbon removal projects in the UK, Aus & Canada, which is why they claim to be Carbon Negative already (as of last month). Also apparently all the UK breweries & bars use wind generated electricity and they are in the process of swapping all their delivery vehicles for EVs which is pretty cool.

prettygreenparrot

I can’t get things like Cloudwater locally

that is a real shame. I saw my local bar, a couple of minutes’ walk down the street, had 2 cloudwaters on tap among a bunch of other interesting brews. They also had some  Pomona Island in cans.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Brewdog Shares’ is closed to new replies.