• This topic has 15 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by ogden.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Brand X XL dropper, why not?
  • poe82
    Free Member

After the recent CRC PSA (thanks #wukfit) wondered if anyone has any reasons not to give it a punt. Looking for value for money and reliably over its life time. Ta

plus-one

Had one around 5 months. Goes up and down a treat no issue 🙂

mulv1976
    Free Member

As good as my reverb and cheaper than a service, had one on my hardtail over the winter months without any issues.

transporter13
    Free Member

No reason not to try it

I have 2 although 1 has gone back and been replaced due to loss of air. Would’nt put me off buying another in future though.

ogden
    Free Member

I’ve got the non-xl version and it has a fair amount of play side to side

geex
    Free Member

B-X droppers develop loads of fore and aft and rotational play after 5 weeks nevermind 5 months. s’pose it depends how much you actually use them in that time though.
    not that it matters. when it gets too bad contact CRC. They’re very understanding about it.
    All droppers do it. £90 or £400

escrs
    Free Member

Mines just gone back due to play back and forth, its only one month old

Not too fussed as i had one before for a year with no issues, plus for £100 with 2 years warranty you cant beat em

Poopscoop

I had the non XL then got the XL for £92 in a crc deal some time back.

Both have been great,I upgraded to the £17 Bonty lever though as the standard one is a little flimsy… Though entirely functional.

Basically, great droppers.👍

Gaz.dick
    Free Member

Agree, bought one as the frame i got was a different size to my reverb,  so far so good,  one month old,  but it’s a lovely action, smooth,  seems canny

submarined
    Free Member

Mine’s just about to be sent back due to excessive sag 🙁

superstu
    Free Member

Have a reverb, BX XL and something that was stock on my Whyte that is probably rebranded from something else.

I’d say the BX is the best of the lot. Would buy another when I need one.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

We have three of the non-XL external cabled ones.

The oldest is over a year old and has worked faultlessly, very slight side to side movement but no worse than any other post out there and I can’t notice it when pedalling.

The newer two are only a couple of months old and have the newer under bar 1xgear type lever which is far far superior to the original.

One of these two has gone back under warranty as it lost pressure/had no return etc. Assuming it is replaced without quibble (I’m looking at you Wiggle) then if happily buy them again.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Just got a Brand X a few weeks ago as an emergency purchase when my Reverb finally gave up the ghost and I needed an replacement which I had to install next to the car so Brand X was the one they stocked in the shop. Early days yet but it’s absolutely fine. Nice smooth action, works as well as a Reverb. Just make sure you lubricate the cable well when you install as it started to stick after a few rides, also if it is a stealth then make sure you have enough room down your seat tube before any of the rear suspension link pivot stuff that might go through the seat tube as the cable mechanism is a good inch or so long and for me was right up against my suspension seat tube pivot. I couldn’t quite manage a 150mm so had to do with a 100mm as I’m a short-arse but it’s a very tight fit on my bike.

So all good so far, the jury’s still out on longevity – I got 2 years out of a reverb before it needed any attention, so we’ll see.

teethgrinder

Sacked off a Reverb for an XL.  Mainly as a cheap way to a 150mm drop.  No issues, apart from the rubbish remote, but the Bontrager one fixes that.

1timmy1
    Free Member

My XL 150mm is almost 1 year old and has been a champ. Just keeps working, but I do clean the stanchion after every ride just to keep it sweet. I bought the wolf tooth remote to go with it, expensive for just the remote but it works so well. If I had to replace it, I’d be temted by the 160mm bike yoke revive but only if it was near the price of the XL.

ogden
    Free Member

Anyone had any luck with a warranty through UBYK? I’d go directly to brand x but I don’t think that’s possible?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Brand X XL dropper, why not?’ is closed to new replies.