Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Brake Pads – After Long Life, No Noise, Cheap
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

is it possible?

if i use superstar organic they are quiet (most of the time bar wet), but wear out incredibly quick on my forumla the ones

if i use superstar sintered they noisy when its realtively dry and dusty and dont like prolonged braking down hills (when the noise increases tenfold)

ive used the kevlar and its a mix of the above

are there any other brands out there that are the same price bracket, that will last a decent amount of time and not make a noise??

brakes are formula the ones (latest style) and hope floating rotors

CheesybeanZ

Disco brakes , been using them for 4 yrs with no problems .

Twin
    Free Member

I bought some kevlar pads from bikefridge on ebay. £22 for 4 pairs, were quiet and powerful and only used 2 sets in the Alps for a week (I weigh 18 stone so they took a hammering).

Kryton57

Another for sintered disco brakes – have been using them for 10 years or so now….

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers folks, how do the disco brakes sintered compare to the superstar? much of a muchness? any less quiet?

by the way, the noise isnt constant like some brakes i hear out and about, just really when you wouldnt expect them to squeal, when i actually use the brakes in anger they dont make a sound, anything with a gradual stop and the sintered are awful

the superstar organic are silent in the dry and only a bit noisy when wet (until you heat them up), but i wore a set out recently in just 1 month, and thats in mostly dry weather 🙁

bigbadbob
    Free Member

Try the Uberbike Race pads, the white ones. £9 per set. I quite like them.

tmb467
    Free Member

+1 for Uberbike race matrix

ThePinkster

You got a month out of Superstar Organics? I’m impressed (I think) – I’ve worn a set out on one wet ride on Cannock Chase!

I usually use their sintered pads though and don’t have any real problems with noise from them, except for the odd rare (usually wet) occasion.

honourablegeorge

Pretty happy with DiscoBrakes at the moment

Kryton57

I can’t compare them to superstar, but if its a really wet year I get through 2 pairs a year (1 this year only half worn as I’ve not done so much MTB’ing) but at £22 for 4 pairs I’m happy with that.

Just as powerful if not more than the stock XT they replace also. I also ran the on Hope M4’s years back with no issues and again they were better than the originals.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

are the race matrix quiet and long lasting? about to hit the buy button!

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I’ve had 20+ sets from Disco now (also had a few sets from Superstar over the years)

Tried Organic, Sintered and Kevlar (I have most experience with the Kevlar ones)

I’m yet to have any issues – delivery has always been very quick too (all arrived next day)

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

sod it ive just ordered some discobrakes sintered – figure they cant be any worse than the sintered superstar (just hopefully a touch quieter)

bit pointless for me going into winter trying out racey type stuff and organic as ive managed to wreck a pair of organic in one month in the dry/some minor wet

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cycl1ngjb – any noise from the sintered ones at all? (in the wet i expect some noise)

tmb467
    Free Member

sorry OW – yes, Uberbikes Race Matrix are quiet and long lasting (so far anyway)

running them on the back with Hope M4s and they’ve been almost as good as the Hope original ones (for stopping power, modulation and noise)

as soon as my original Hopes go up front I’ll be getting some more as well (although RM £9 v £13 for Hopes they’re not massively cheap)

Kryton57

Oscillate Wildly – Member
    cycl1ngjb – any noise from the sintered ones at all? (in the wet i expect some noise)

None at all for me.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

Haven’t had any notable noise, but they haven’t had much wet weather exposure. I tend to switch to Sintered for trips to the Alps, but luckily haven’t had much rain when I’ve been there.

CheesybeanZ

can’t comment on superstar but the disco sintered have been noise free and lasted well.

Northwind

I threw both my sets of Race Matrixes in the bin after a couple of days in the alps, felt alright initially but just no consistency, they seemed to struggle with any sort of extended descents. (and I’m not a dragger by and large). Not in my nature to throw away anything before they’re worn out but these were just not up to scratch. Replaced with SS Kevlar which never missed a beat under the same and harder use. That was in The Ones incidentally.

But, the SSs obviously don’t do it for you, just mention those as a comparison to the Race Matrixes.

Disco sintered should do the job, they’re not great- a wee bit low on power and lifespan- but they were quiet and dependable for me.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers NW – FWIW i dont get particularly good life out of the SS sintered ive run, so im sure the disco ones cant be much worse?

ill give the rotors a good clean first, and have a go with the DB ones hopefully this weekend if they turn up

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Brake Pads – After Long Life, No Noise, Cheap’ is closed to new replies.