Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Brake cleaner.
  • robsoctane
    Free Member

Hi All,

I’ve got brake fluid on my pads & a car mechanic friend of mine says that brake cleaner will remove all traces. I do believe him but because he’s only car related I want to know if anyone of you have tired this method & if it’s worked or not.

I don’t want to throw away pads that cost £20 if I can help it.

I know – suck it & see but I’m asking anyway…

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

it will get some off but not all. give it a try. we use the muck off stuff at the shop. its pretty good and it smells nice too 😆

coffeeking
    Free Member

It will get some off but not all, then when it’s done bake them in the oven at 150C for about 10 minutes, they’ll be fine.

Just be wary with the brake cleaner, make sure it doesn’t contain tetra-chloroethylene before you stick it in the oven, wouldn’t like to see you dead.

robsoctane
    Free Member

Cheers lads, don’t want to die – pretty glad you posted that bit! 😯

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Am sure in the past people have said to not use automotive brake cleaner as it leaves some kind of residue? Mate bought some isopropyl alcohol for the rotors, which works, and we both use the somewhat brutal, but effective “hold the pad in pliers in the flame of the gas ring until it catches fire and burns off the crap” method. Which also seems to work without issue.

nosedive
    Free Member

I got some of that muc off brake cleaner stuff to deal with some cotaminated brakes. it worked ok. you might get away without all this heat treating malarky if you are lucky

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Brake cleaner.’ is closed to new replies.