Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Brain Dust and food fads
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

“Brain Dust tastes like aspirin. It’s good to know this before putting it in a pancake, one of the breakfast suggestions on the box, because the pancake will be ruined”

Anyone had any joy with food ‘fads’? Anything you scoffed at initially but now scoff a lot?

I confess to having a smoothie almost every morning, sometimes with kale or spinach, but that’s about it. Any others I am missing out on? #FOMOFAD

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/jan/18/ingestible-me-will-putting-brain-dust-in-my-porridge-make-me-smarter

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

No braindusters?

perchypanther
    Free Member

trail_rat
    Free Member

Kale and spinach are not food fads.

They are the sort of foods that should be a staple in everyone’s diet.

johndoh
    Free Member

And Gregg’s sausage rolls. Don’t forget Gregg.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

yes but I think perhaps blending it in a smoothie is a recent thing.(kale not a greggs sausage roll… although….) I guess ‘fad’ may not be the right word. A trend that you have taken too perhaps….

trail_rat
    Free Member

Perhaps if you blend the Gregg’s sausage roll paper bag an all….it would have some nutritional value ……. Of course provided by the paper bag….

slowoldman

No braindusters?

Never heard of it. But I read the article and got as far as Gwyneth Paltrow. Does she take it orally or shove it up her backside with the coffee?

johndoh
    Free Member

some nutritional value

The nutritional value is in the happiness they bring.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Does she take it orally or shove it up her backside with the coffee?

Chuff Snuff?

bencooper
    Free Member

You want some Brain Force Plus, the favourite red pills of far right basement-dwellers everywhere:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxu7j_US4XI[/video]

poah
    Free Member

eat oily fish for brain food or take cod liver oil – full of DHA’s.

devash
    Free Member

Ingredients from the Brain Dust website;

Lion’s Mane Mushroom Extract°, Maca Root Extract°, Astragalus Root Extract°, Rhodiola Root Extract, Ashwagandha Root and Leaf Extract°, Ginkgo Leaf Extract, Stevia Leaf Extract (Reb A)°

The only thing on there that I’m aware can help improve mental clarity is Ginko, which you can buy 6 month’s supply of from a reputable uk website for around £15.

As above, sounds like something Alex Jones on Infowars pushes to survivalist, right wing basement dwellers in their preperation for the eugenic apocalypse.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

That is one funky looking collection of mushrooms

Cougar

That is one funky looking mushroom

Your counting skills are coming along nicely.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

huh? 😆

P-Jay
    Free Member

PT told me to start taking fish oil about 10 years ago and I have ever since – I can’t remember what he told me it was good for – shiny coat maybe?

Anyway, it may or may not help with my bad cholesterol (seems to change weekly) according to my NHS dietician, but it’s great for reducing inflammation in my knackered elbow.

poah
    Free Member

fish oils reduce triglycerides which in turn can increase serum levels of HDL

slowoldman

I had my cholesterol checked the other day and was told nuts in general improve good cholesterol.

Anyway what is Capn Kirk doing in a room full of wigs?

DezB
    Free Member

“the manufacturer, Gwyneth’s friend Amanda Chantal Bacon”

So Gwyneth doesn’t even have to pay the hilarious full price for a tub.
    But of course, as we know from this very forum, there are plenty of fools with money to waste 😀

theotherjonv

mmmm, bacon dust.

bearnecessities

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

DezB
    Free Member

My kid (a few years ago). Sold his hair for Brain Dust

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

my Chai tea (another fad) out the nose, cheers

slowoldman

Chai Tea? Chai IS tea isn’t it?

bearnecessities

DezB
    Free Member

😀

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

Hericium erinaceus contains a couple of interesting compounds called hericenone and erinacine that have been shown to promote nerve growth and restore the myelin sheathes on nerve cells. Whether there are any of these compounds within the ‘brain dust’ is anyone’s guess. Whether it contain myceliated extract or actual fruiting bodies also seems to be a mystery, there can be marked differences in levels of bioactive compounds between the two forms.

I have no knowledge of the other ‘elite botanicals’ in this concoction and the use of such terms and the complete lack of regulation within the supplement industry would cause me to give it a wide berth as a matter of course. You’re better off just eating Hericium erinaceus, it’ll need to be cultivated though as I believe wild grown specimen are protected.

In terms of fads I’m guilty of fasting (also promotes neurogenesis) and not much else.

somafunk

Lions mane mushroom is a genuine aid for neurotropic nerve growth and is currently undergoing extensive research for treatment of MS myelination protectant/regeneration, Alzheimers /Parkinson’s and other degenerative nerve diseases.

NCBI report on Lions Mane

Lions Mane Mushroom

Paul Stamets wiki page (mycological expert)

[video]https://youtu.be/mPqWstVnRjQ[/video]

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

Paul Stamets is a genius, never listened to Joe Rogan before or since this episode but this is well worth a couple of hours of your time.

somafunk

He sure is, he’s currently involved in some very promising MS research

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

Have you watched his TedMed talk from 2011? He’s got a finger in many promising medical research pies.

He’s written some great books too, big fan of Mycelium Running

somafunk

yeah, sure have. “idle boast alert” 😉 , I’m regularly in discussions with him through email and the occasional phone call to keep on top of his latest research into various treatments for MS and how to improve my condition – very very clever man indeed!

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

I’m never one to do the fanboy thing but I strongly suspect I’d turn into a fawning mess if I ever met Mr Stamets.

With the exception of the members of my family and possibly Professor Roland Griffiths I struggle to think of someone who has had such an influence on the way I think. I’m not just referring to his work with the Psilocybe genus either.

It’s a fairly bizarre tangent to go off in in a mountain bike forum but why not!

somafunk

I’m not just referring to his work with the Psilocybe genus either.

The amount of research currently being carried out with regard to the medical benefits of psychedelics is very exciting and i expect to see treatments for depression/PTSD/anxiety/mental/social disorders being readily available in the coming years, about time as they’ve been vilified as the scourge of humanity by the modern world for far too long. personally i’ve been using them for near enough 30 years……the joys of being introduced to cubensis whilst at school in late 80’s (crowds of kids on their hands n’ knees crawling about the sports pitch) 😀 . The increasing use of “micro-dosing” and the influence that is having on the tech/artistic/sports and free thinking community is also increasing at an exponential rate.

Just don’t call them “shrooms” 😉

EDIT : Paul even has a Star Trek show (Discovery) based entirely around his mycelium spore drive theory, the main character is even named after him in recognition, whilst it is “just” a theory at the moment it is garnering genuine scientific research into the theory.

Exciting times for us amateur mycologists 😀

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

After 20 years of depression trying just about everything out there I walked the heroes path and it literally disappeared after a day of ‘processing’ what I’d experienced. Mindfulness and meditation did nothing before the experience afterwards I ‘got it’. That was two seasons ago and I’m still entirely med free.

It won’t be for everyone, 5g of dried P. semilanceata is an intense experience but taken once or twice a year it works for me.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Tripping balls and chatting shit.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

rushing my nuts off

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Brain Dust and food fads’ is closed to new replies.