Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Braeriach and Carn Ban Mor – big loop?
  • Sanny
    Free Member

Hello

Has anyone headed from Carn Ban Mor over to Braeriach with the bike and returned to Aviemore via the Lharig Ghru? I was up the former a week past Monday in glorious sunshine and was wondering how easy it would be to get over to the latter with the bike? I know there is a hikey bikey option from Glen Einach but I’d prefer to try and keep high and make a big day of it.

BTW, we met three walkers with bikes who had driven up from Jedburgh for the day to ride / walk two munros. They didn’t consider themselves to be bikers and the oldest of them was a very fresh looking 72. Legends!

Cheers

Sanny

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve walked the Moine Mhor from CBM to Cairn Toul. Once you reach the Allt Sgairnich, it’s trackless heather-laden peat-hags. There are many mountain options I’d consider with a bike, but that would never be one of them.

donald
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have thought it a good idea. I’ve been there on foot and don’t recall thinking it was good biking terrain.

aviemoron
    Free Member

Sanny, yes it’s do-able if you want to slog across the peathags! But even we lot haven’t bothered!

Sanny
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice guys. Hikey bike is really floating my boat at the moment but there are limits! Rode Mealle a Buchaille a week past Sunday – great ride with the new track onto the saddle making for less carrying and more biking until the last push for the summit. The descent down to Ryvoan was well worth the price of admission. Has anyone any tips for where else to ride high in and around Aviemore area?

Thanks

Sanny

joemarshall
    Free Member

Rode Mealle a Buchaille a week past Sunday – great ride with the new track onto the saddle making for less carrying and more biking until the last push for the summit. The descent down to Ryvoan was well worth the price of admission. Has anyone any tips for where else to ride high in and around Aviemore area?

Did you do the whole ridge from Craiggowrie? That was a nice loop done anti-clockwise too, and you can take in the singletrack from Creag Mheadhonach on the way down.

Joe

mema
    Free Member

I was supposed to up that way over Easter (but phd got in the way) with the plan of going into Glen Feshie then getting up the big land rover path onto the plateau near CBM and then just seeing where it would take us. But our descent was going to be back down the path and not Braeriach although I’ve always wanted to ride off it.
    Its amazing some of the old guys you meet up that way!

Sanny
    Free Member

Joe

No we headed straight up from the visitor centre onto the saddle then carried and rode up to the summit. I’m not sure if the new path has been extended to drop you into Badaguish.

Mema – gutted for you. The weather over Easter was fantastic though you probably didn’t want to hear that! Stuartie_c has some nice pics of the route you fancy on his Flickr account. Well worth a look.

Cheers

Sanny

fizzer
    Free Member

Easter weather was indeed fantastic – Easter Sunday

wouldn’t fancy dragging my bike to Braeriach tbh

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Cheers Sanny.

I’ve taken a bike through the Lairig Ghru before, but going the other way from Rothiemurchus. It was the return leg of a big day out from Linn of Dee to Glenmore via Fords of A’an and back to Glen Luibeg. Going south the LG is pretty much unrideable for a long way (it’s a very on/off push lots/ride a bit until you get to the boulder field beyond the Pools of Dee then you get a stunning descent to Glen Luibeg (with a short climb just beyond Corrour Bothy).

Coming off Braeriach, you’d probably avoid most of the ball-ache section, but be prepared for some frustrating bits until you get to the nice section down to Picadilly.

My attitude to such rides is “there’s only really one way to find out…”
    🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Braeriach and Carn Ban Mor – big loop?’ is closed to new replies.