Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Boxxer spring rates?
  • jakehinton
    Free Member

Ive got some 2015 Boxxers, ive dropped from a red spring (medium) to a yellow (soft) and now ive just fitted a silver (extra soft) spring. Weirdly there seems to be hardly any difference in the sag im getting. Its changed from around 17% to about 20% by dropping to the extra soft. Im only around 11 stone (155lb). Is it just that these forks arnt really designed for lighter riders? The forks have the charger damper fitted and only 1 click of compression. Does taking out the preload spacers make much difference?

jakehinton
    Free Member

bump

Northwind

I used a red spring in my 2012 boxxers and I’m 10 stone! Pretty sure yours will have the same spring? So something is Not Right. At the risk of patronising, you’re checking sag in a dh-bike appropriate position, right? Not sat back? That’s the simple explanation, everything else I can think of offhand would need the forks to be buggered (there may be other things I’ve missed! I’m just some diyer)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    SirHC

Preload will also contribute to the sag. I would suggest checking the minimum amount of spacers you can run (there is guidance in the manual on this) and start again.

FYI, I am 16stone in riding kit and am on a medium spring, also on a charger damper.

jakehinton
    Free Member

Yeah im checking sag stood up in “attack position”. Im hoping the forks arent buggered as they are pretty much brand new and feel fine apart from the sag issue. Though i suppose the good thing is if they are buggered they will be under warranty. Looking on the manual it just says less than 16mm between spacers and top of the stanchion so ill see if it makes much difference taking a spacer out

wysiwyg
    Free Member

What are they like with no spring?

jakehinton
    Free Member

Bit too soft! They compress fully when i take the spring out…
    Would it make much of a difference if the spring is in the wrong way round? Smaller end meant to be at the bottom of the fork or the top?

SirHC

Tapered end towards the bottom from memory, as the drop stop bumper needs to contact the bottom out rod in the spring leg. Although for 2015 the drop stop has changed, so best check the manual.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

So they work fine with no spring in. Stictiony?

I’d grease the seals up first port of call and check oil heights

Boxxer recommended spring weights are notoriously miles out. In x-firm territory, but ride stock.
    Think they’re based on wc riders with v little sag.

scruff
    Free Member

Im x-firm weight aswell, bought a firm 2nd hand but wasn’t getting anything like proper sag /full travel & put the medium back in.

legend
    Free Member

I’m a 10 stone muscle-man, running x-soft and could go softer. Luckily I like keeping the front reasonably high anyway, iirc I’m running around 25% sag with 1 preload spacer just to take up the slack

jakehinton
    Free Member

Could be a bit of stiction from the seals. The oil in the lowers should be correct as i emptied and refilled when installing the charger damper

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I had the 2014 r2c2 with medium spring in. Was good on big drops but felt almost rigid on small chatter/roots etc. I’m 15stone too. Ended up putting a soft spring in which mad it nicer but still wasn’t happy so got some marzocchis, now I’m 😀

jakehinton
    Free Member

Dont really want to have to buy new forks especially after upgrading them to charger damper! (Though im sure the Marzocchis’ are very nice)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Boxxer spring rates?’ is closed to new replies.