Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)
  • Bottle cages are officially cool again
  • dirtyrider
    Free Member

a jersey is a jersey, i don’t have anything other than roadie jerseys and i do plenty of mtb miles

mikewsmith
    Free Member

well there you go, most mountain bike jerseys don’t have pockets, I’ve tried it a couple of times the crap just bounces round if there is any weight in it on some proper rough stuff.

Yak

Stuff in jersey pockets is pretty isolated from ‘proper rough stuff’ so rarely falls out. Seat packs on the other hand take a right beating and I’ve had one of those fall off.

So I prefer a bottle, and stuff in jersey pockets. If it’s an exceptionally long ride needing a lot of food and water, then i’ll take a camelbak, but with bottles on the bike and spares in the camelbak.

Northwind

Hob Nob – Member

Some of us don’t like the feeling of a small, sweaty midget trying to strangle your when riding.

I think you’re doing it wrong. The straps go round your arms not your throat.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I think you’re doing it wrong. The straps go round your arms not your throat.

Ah, that must be it. Think i’ll go with the shoulders rather than the arms though 🙂

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I’ve tried it a couple of times the crap just bounces round if there is any weight in it on some proper rough stuff.

what you carrying?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

tubes, food etc. but in reality I have to go and buy a special T Shirt to carry stuff when I have a perfectly good bag that also carries my water, has zip up pockets for my keys and phone and is comfortable. Can’t see the logic there really

D0NK

Oops clash of the bak/bottle clans. Don’t we get worked up about trivial stuff?

Bak
    +
    keeps everything safely together, can carry a lot of stuff, easy to drink from

can carry too much stuff, sweaty back, pricey

Bottle
    +
    No sweaty back, no overloading, cheap

weight on the bike is bad for weight shifts IME, mouth piece can more easily get covered in crap, mtb apparel a bit short on pockets and frames short on bottle mounts generally.

Pay your money and make your choice, pros and cons for both so lets keep it civil 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

That bike looks lovely 😀

rusty90
    Free Member

I generally have a bottle in cage, lycra jersey with rear pockets and a rucksack with various stuff in. Does that make me weird, broadminded or indecisive?

kayak23

Anyway,, the Enduro sash is where it’s at.

🙂

Northwind

Ideal for carrying your bowcaster

Kbrembo
    Free Member

This is a cool cage

D0NK

Does that make me weird, broadminded or indecisive?

Bidonal curious or transbladder experimental I think, not sure which.

This is a cool cage

not bad, nice pointy beak to catch your leg on in a crash tho.

nickdavies

I use a camelback but only for ride essentials, water goes in bottles not used the bladder for ages.
    Am I weird or enduro?

chakaping
    Free Member

Don’t rule out both. Hard to say without a pic.

parkesie
    Free Member

A jersey without pockets is just a t shirt surely?

hilldodger
    Free Member

……probably an enduro technical T-shirt though 😆

parkesie
    Free Member

Good point hilldodger.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

..probably an enduro technical T-shirt though

laugns at the funny mans joke

or just a normal baggy jersey that they have been selling for the last 10 years or more.

D0NK

baselayer?
    as a cyclist* “jersey” to me says fitted, pockets, long(er) sleeves, dropped back and a zip on the front. Although it’s de rigeur for roadies lots of mtbers don’t wear that kinda thing, still a long way from a T shirt tho. Plenty of manufacturers make a “what you wear under your jacket that is fitted, dropped back but hasn’t got any pockets or zips and isn’t called a jersey” thing, call it what you want.

Technical T shirt to me is like a football shirt, wicks but baggy and no dropped back.

*pretty sure to the rest of the world a jersey is a jumper (or an island in the channel).

Kunstler

This is a cool cage

Dolphin-headed bat.

I use both bottle and camelbak. It’s easier for a lazy person to refill a bottle when your rucksack is stuffed to brimming. I also keep my tools in a spare bottle and just put that in a second cage when I use the road bike.

Northwind

Usually “technical” refers to the fabrics more than anything else I think- basically seems to mean “not cotton”. hardly any of my honest-to-god-cycling-jerseys have pockets, only my road stuff does really.

Partly because crashing is iffy enough without packing loads of stuff against your spine, but mostly because I’ve tried both ways and prefer a pack.

noltae
    Free Member

Sometimes taking a gamble pays off – I’ve ridden all summer long with not so much as an Allen key – let alone a spare tube – water bottle every time for me.. Golden rule is keeping bike maintained – fresh sealent in tyres and a mobile with plenty of charge . It defo improves the feeling of the ride not being encumbered with tools and a backpack ..

deviant
    Free Member

Noltae, here here!
    It was a joy this summer to just wear shorts and T-Shirt, small multitool in one pocket, phone in the other and bottle of water on the bike.

No camelpak (god I hate that word, it’s a rucksack FFS), no pump, tubes etc etc…probably why I knock the MTB on the head over winter, I can’t be bothered carrying around food, jackets, etc etc.

Northwind

deviant – Member

camelpak (god I hate that word,

Good stuff- you just made it up 😆

thegreatape
    Free Member

🙂

deviant
    Free Member

Haha, yeah typo but you know what I meant!

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

How the hell do you stop a water bottle falling out on a. mountain bike doing single track?

scotroutes

You use a decent cage

eddiebaby
    Free Member

My bottle ain’t gonna fall out of there too easily.

hora
    Free Member

On Sundays peaks pootle two blokes on carbon bling Santa Cruz’s rode past me with water bottles. I thought odd (?)

Now it makes sense. Fashion biking meets mimic fashion.

kayak23

pitchpro2011 – Member 
    How the hell do you stop a water bottle falling out on a. mountain bike doing single track?

Put it in your Camelpak?
    🙂

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Why’s someone on a nice bike with a water bottle considered ‘odd’?

You must live in a strange world if that’s how your brain works 🙂

hora
    Free Member

On a autumn <2hr ride do you need water?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Ah, you quizzed them on their riding time & intentions?

Shame on me, I took a bottle on my 2 hour ride last weekend too. I’m doing it wrong. 😳

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

The weather’s different here so need plenty of water even for an hours blast but back home I always used a back pack. Could fit a waterproof, 3 x tubes, tools, sandwiches, phone, pump and other bits and pieces. I find it easier to drink from a bladder than a bottle cage and it kept all my stuff together when I wasn’t riding. Could get my bag and go.

I was first converted to a bag and bladder when my lights (10+ years ago) had a battery designed to fit into the bottle cage on a bike.

Plus, even Sam Hill can’t persuade me that bottle don’t ruin the look of a bike.

hora
    Free Member

Hob nob do you dress up as an enduro pro too ?

NormalMan

I’ve always stuck with a bottle and cage really. I did try a pack with a bladder a couple of times but didn’t like it.

Now I still use a Marin bumbag from the 90’s and a bottle. Not fashionable I’m sure but I’m not bothered either.

I do still have the small pack, but the bladder was long ditched. I’ve used it a couple of times on family rides only to carry some extra snacks in!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Does taking a water bottle on a sub 2 hour ride make me Enduro Pro then? if only i’d known it was that easy. 🙂

Sadly most of my riding kit is black, nor is is made by POC, so i’m obviously not trying hard enough.

It’s getting hard to geet up with all your pseudonyms now, but at least it’s something to aspire to.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Bottle cages are officially cool again’ is closed to new replies.