Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Botching a quick release to get a colleague home…….
  • ampthill

So this morning I brought a colleague to work with her new hybrid so she could ride it home.

As were putting the front wheel on the leaver fell out of the quick release. Its only held in by a splet washer.

Half a sleep I put the washer back on, but with quick leaver not through the hole in the skewer

Using the preproom vice (I work in a sixth form college) and a screw driver I managed to remove the split washer but it shot across the room and as yet I haven’t found it…

Do you think that this can be bodged. The washer is the only thing that stop the leaver falling out. But once its done up tight the lever shouldn’t just fall out. If it was my bike I’d just wrap stiff wire round where the washer was and ride home. But its not my bike or body on the bike. Any thoughts. The safest option is that I just drive her home…..

wwaswas

The safest option is that I just drive her home…..

do that.

she won’t thank you if she’s spitting teeth ten minutes after she sets off home.

are there no ‘permanent’ bikes in the bike racks you coudl nick a QR from?

thepurist

LBS at luncthime?

bassspine
    Free Member

there’s a reason why small components are referred to as ‘pingfukkits’ and sadly you just encountered it.

boblo
    Free Member

Hope you don’t work in the English department… 😉

ampthill

She’s in English I’m the dyslexic physics teacher

Any more thoughts. I’ve got a paper clip round where the washer was twisted. Its not really tight but I can’t pull the leaver out

wwaswas

“physics teacher”

ooh, load of Sodium around the QR, bucket of water poured over it and hope it welds the thing up?

or is that chemistry?

scaredypants

The safest option is that I just drive her home…..

You’re a sly old dog, ampthill
    “thanks for the lift – fancy a coffee (… , biscuits & sex) ?”

ampthill

The new rule is every time you put up a joke you have to say something about quick releases!

bigyinn
    Free Member

pingfukkits

My new favorite word!

midlifecrashes

“thanks for the lift – fancy a coffee (… , biscuits & sex) ?”

I think we can take it as read that he’s already done the deed, since he’s driven from hers this morning and they are anxious to be seen leaving by separate modes of transport.

Junkyard
    Free Member

as the axle is still there have you no bolts lying around in D & T that could be used to bolt it up as normal?
    Remove them from the bike shed of the pupil/teacher you hate the most

ampthill

The axle doesn’t stick out for bolts…..

college is to new for old bikes….

Junkyard
    Free Member

leave the lever out and just tighten it up with some mole grips using the QR end bits [ do they have a name] as nuts?

andy7t2
    Free Member

college is to new for old bikes

so your not allowed to bring an old bike to your college, do you have the bike squad near the sheds checking the build dates of each bike?

ampthill

Its to new for old bikes to have accumulated

the lever is need to prevent the skewer entering the drop out

Junkyard
    Free Member

see the qr view each end as nuts and tighten it up with molgrips
    Doh get what you mean 🙄 – small bolt throught that bit to stop it falling off ? Split pin? washers?Rivets?

BigJohn

Once the cam has been tightened on a standard QR the lever can be safely removed. I’ve never quite understood why – as we seem to like to save weight – we ride around with 2 redundant QR levers when an allen key would do the same job.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Once the cam has been tightened on a standard QR the lever can be safely removed.

😯

Erm…

ampthill

washer found……

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Phew! Thank Gawd for that!

Now come round here and clean my dirty fingers from taking this QR apart to try to find a solution please. 🙂

ampthill

Elfinsafety

stand by for failing to fit it….

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Be careful, as those little buggers can slip and you could hurt yourself then swear loudly and chuck the thing across the room where it could hit someone in the face.

I do hope there aren’t any small children where you work. 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

see the qr view each end as nuts and tighten it up with molgrips

Not a bad idea but I don’t see why I need to be there?

ampthill

The technician installed the washer, i installed the quick release. Thanks for your suport

scaredypants

so, no c,b&s then ? 🙁

(I can’t agree with midlifecrashes – why would he be helping if he’d already been there? 😉 )

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Botching a quick release to get a colleague home…….’ is closed to new replies.