Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • BOS Kirk opinions
  • gardron
    Free Member

So has anybody actually run one of these in anger and can give an opinion on it (ideally compared to a float x or CCDB) ?
    I’m really struggling to find real reviews/opinions on them, but I’m getting a bit of a twitch to get one for some unknown reason so I’d like to figure out if I’ll gain anything or if it’s basically a CCDB in different design.

mikekay
    Free Member

Cant help on the Kirk but ive got 2 Vip’r shocks which i love, although they do need to be ridden hard to get the most from them.
    Had Monarch and older fox before and the BOS is way better, not used the new Fox x2 yet but that looks like a real contender against the Kirk.

jamesfts
    Free Member

I’ve just built up a Commencal with Deville and Kirk, only ridden it a handful of times but so far very impressed. Not started to play with the setup yet just bang in the middle, climbs surprisingly well, sensible weight and when pointed down hill takes everything in stride.

So far I’d say it is a big improvement over Fox RP2/23, better than a DB inline and comparable to DBA.

Looking forward to getting some time to get properly set up, will report back.

gardron
    Free Member

Thanks guys. James, I’d be really interested in a ride report when you’ve got it dialed properly

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

I’ve got one on my Capra, which I’ve owned since December last year. Has been used XC (natural and trail centre), Antur Stiniog, BPW, Alps, Tidworth Freeride, so a variety of ride types/terrains.

I find there’s very little pedal bob when going uphill and it’s very rare that i’ll use the lever which stiffens up the shock. When I have used it, there is a perceptible difference but I prefer the feeling of the shock fully open.

Downhill it’s great, but I can’t compare it against the other shocks you’ve asked for a comparison to. It feels pretty bottomless and I’ve never noticed a hard bottoming out, although the o-ring suggests that I have done so. It does use more travel than I would have expected but with no perceptible downside as someone relatively light (11.5st) – a friend is convinced he’s read that there’s some jiggery pokery going on which means that you always use a reasonable amount of travel but that it doesn’t blow through it, i’m not so sure about his ‘science’ but i never feel like the bike is wallowy. Over on Pinkbike people have advocated running significantly higher pressures to sit at 25% sag – I’ve just used the spreadsheet available on the BOS website to set the air pressure. I did experiment a bit in the early days but didn’t feel the benefit of higher pressures.

In terms of fiddling, I think i’ve added a touch more LSC and HSC but haven’t done lots to the Rebound – it’s been a while since I changed any settings to be honest. One thing that is quite nice is that the changes between clicks are quite compact which means you very rarely end up with a setup which is completely wrong. In short, the difference between the two extremes for LSC/HSC/Rebound isn’t that extreme.

The way mine’s set up gives plenty of pop for jumps etc without obviously compromising the ride when on seriously rough terrain.

The only thing I’d change is where the air valve sits. I’ve managed to crack myself in the knee (jumping) a couple of times when i wasn’t wearing my pads and it has a knack of getting me in that tender spot just behind the kneecap, sort of the funny-bone equivalent of the knee.

I think some people have complained about air loss problems, which mine doesn’t have. And then there’s the usual doubts about BOS support in the UK, which apparently has been improved with Jungle (or TF Tuned, I can’t remember who) coming on board as UK service reps.

The only other thing I can think of suggesting is that you try and work out how much space any of the shocks you plan to install will take up – in the Capra the Kirk is big enough to fill the gap meaning the bike didn’t come with bottle bosses. Not a problem, but if your frame can take a cage that you plan to use you might want to make sure it all fits.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘BOS Kirk opinions’ is closed to new replies.