Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Borked TomTom – can I fix it?
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

A TomTom XL IQ, only 5 months old. When it boots, just gets to a screen with a little picture of itself and and a red cross.

When I connect it to a PC, the PC says theres errors on it (can't remember the exact message). TomTom website seems to be suggesting that I delete loads of stuff and it will magically reinstall itself. Anyone tried this or should I just take it back to the shop?

Pook

Mine did this. Ended up sending reinstalling software twice, sending it back to tom tom for them to do the same. When it came back nothing had changed. Still knackered.
    Sent it back and they did the same…but…

the problem changed from showing the little tom tom and cross, to it just randomly turning off.

I now use maps again.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Hmmm. This doesn't sound good!

sobriety
    Free Member

Mine started to do that, and also syaing 'turn left' entirely at random when it was working, which made things interesting. It got stolen before it properly died, and I consoled myself with the mental image of a Saxo upside down in a ditch with 'turn left' echoing out of it…

My TomTom One has frozen twice in the 3 years since I got it.

First time, I just pressed the reset button on the bottom which seemed to work, but then had to download the back-up files from my laptop.

Second time, the reset button didn't work so I switched it on and let the battery run down. Powered it from the mains with my BlackBerry charger, turned it on, and it was fine, but had to download back-up files again.

Hope that helps.

podman
    Free Member

Generally speaking, tomtom support isn't great. If you take it back to the shop they probably won't be able to sort it themselves (unless a member of staff is willing to take it home and do it in their own time *sigh*), and tomtom themselves are often reluctant to take units back with the red cross, as it can usually be sorted out by the user.

There's plenty of guides online, but the gist of it is to delete certain files so that tomtom home re-installs the software on the unit, and the problems are magically solved… hopefully.

uplink
    Free Member

This fix gets bandied around a bit but I've never tried it

Reset Application on Tom Tom[/i]
    1. on home, go to "remove items on Tom Tom", delete "application" and confirm
    2. From http://www.tomtom.com/6221, download and run flash tool
    3. from home, go to "copy from computer", click "application", click "Add"

backup
    4. copy to computer, select/check all files and click copy

alpin
    Free Member

heresjonny
    Free Member

ALPIN
    Thanks for the free advertising

uplink
    Free Member

I've got about 60 of those old A to Zs in my workshop – glad I don't have to carry that lot around any more

They must have cost a fortune in extra fuel to drag around

alpin
    Free Member

if i've got to visit an adress i've not been to before, i'll print out a map of the area with the location and drive to it.

uplink
    Free Member

if i've got to visit an adress i've not been to before, i'll print out a map of the area with the location and drive to it

How about in a dark wet, busy city centre you don't know?

I've spent the last 25 years driving around Europe, & believe me you simply cannot beat a satnav in city centres

alpin
    Free Member

tbh, i don't drive very often, but when i did that is what i did.

freddyg
    Free Member

As it is only 5 months old, you can take it back to the place you bought it from and demand a replacement. After 6 months old, it's up to you to prove that the problem was present at the time of purchase. Or something like that.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Thanks all!

adam_h
    Free Member

Take it back to the shop, I got one for christmas last year. It broke in September, had a brand new model one at my door after a couple of weeks.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Borked TomTom – can I fix it?’ is closed to new replies.