Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • bored of moutain biking
  • milkyman
    Free Member

not sure its my age or motivation, but i just dont get the urge any more to get out and ride, 2 years back I was out at the drop of a hat, out of intrest what is your age, and is 43 over hill,

MarkN
    Free Member

Only if you think it is.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

the best bit about being over the hill is that it’s all DH from now on!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Everyone feels like that occasionaly! Nowt to do with your age.

Get a road bike, or an xbox, or play football, or just go for a good old fashioned walk.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

No way you’re over the hill. I sometimes find it a bit tough after three or four months of cold and mud. Try and get out somewhere new with some new folks. I was riding somewhere new today and can’t wait to go back when it’s a bit drier and faster. It’s a good time of year to do a bit of work on the trails, clearing away wind damage and overgrown stuff, get it all ready for when the weather improves.

mogrim

40. Every now and then get bored of mtb and do a different sport. It’s not like I’m paid to do it and don’t have a choice.

If you’re really concerned about it, sign up for a race or something that you need to train for, a target is a pretty good motivator.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’m 39 – I find it hard to get motivated over the winter, and can’t be arsed with night riding anymore.. as soon as its light/warm enough for an after work weekday ride i’ll be well happy..

Trimix
    Free Member

No.

ahwiles
    Free Member

33, been riding bikes for more than 30 years, never been more excited about bikes, riding bikes, tinkering with bikes, talking about bikes than i am now.

bikes are ace.

but, if i’m honest, i know how this person feels:

…I find it hard to get motivated over the winter…

now, go and practise your wheelies.

buttercup
    Free Member

Be careful… Winter is almost over..

Drac

Well one of my good friends is in his 60s and rides more regular than me, at least 3 times a week.

jonostevens
    Free Member

Buy a new bike.

Its wrong and unnecessary, but definitely a shortcut to motivation I reckon.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Its the winter that makes you feel like that, light evenings and nicer temps will change your outlook. I know because i am the same during Jan/Feb time for some reason.

bobsoff2
    Free Member

Too old ? 53… Tried the road bike thing, “good for miles covered” but very boring and Bloody Dangerous !!
    Night rides have been good when it was cold and dry, but do find it hard to get motivated when it’s Pishing Down. Do agree about getting out and riding somewhere different tho…
    Still, soon be summer !! 8)

rusty90
    Free Member

is 43 over hill

I dunno, kids these days. I’d give my left leg to be 43 again 🙂
    I took a 15 year break from bikes, came back keener than ever. A bit slower, but very keen.

sambob
    Free Member

I feel a bit like that at the moment, mostly the weather I think, but I need to get training for the Alps in the Summer. I want a new frame too 🙁

jambalaya
    Free Member

I didn’t take up mountain biking until I was in my 40’s and not long now till the next milestone, my 62 year old neighbour is still fitter than me. I also tend to ride more in the winter an summer as often too busy with other things then.

The issue is you are bored with mountain biking, so do something else for a bit or perhaps try some different riding venues and types. Have you toured the various uk location plus of course there are lots of holiday options in Europe and further afield.

jedi

im 43 and love every ride like its the first time 🙂

iainc

46 here and sometimes struggle with motivation. Just bought a nice road bike to widen the horizon a bit.

When I am feeling a need for some motivational boost I tend to think of the STW’ers that would love to be out riding but can’t – ton, angelis and others…. that works for me 🙁

vinnyeh

50 and perfectly happy still, but…

It’s only a hobby, not nirvana/a wife or kids/ a job.

No harm in just walking away from it for a bit, or the rest of your life, if it’s not floating your boat.

mrh86

Force yourself to go at some point. I hadn’t been for a few weeks until today. Didn’t really fancy it this morning, but forced myself to go anyway. Thoroughly enjoyed myself and looking forward to getting out again…soon!

LardLover
    Free Member

I hit the lack of motivation about 4yrs ago now. Decided to give road riding a go. Now I’m a full time rider of the black top, never looked back. It gave me a new found passion. I’ve never swung my leg over a mountain bike, never mind ride one since. Don’t miss it one bit. Can’t stop hanging around here though, why’s that?

I will be having a go at mountain biking again, in May. But that’s only because I’m treating my (now ex) riding buddy to a 4 wheeled mountain bike Taster day in the Lakes, following his motorbike accident last summer (sadly he’s now paralysed). He can’t wait, but only wants to do it if I go riding with him so I can’t say no. Otherwise I don’t think I’d be back on a mountain bike.

rusty90
    Free Member

my 62 year old neighbour is still fitter than me

My regular riding mate is 64. His background is motor bikes; MX, enduro etc., mine is road racing and time trials. I wait for him at the top, he waits for me at the bottom. I have a secret suspiscion that he enjoys himself more than I do. Bastid!

langylad
    Free Member

my riding buddy lost his mojo a year or so ago (admittedly after a bit of a fall). He went road riding for a while but has recently come back to the light. He goes downhill like a mincer now but he’s bloody fit! He is loving night riding at Gisburn again and can’t wait to get to the Big Summer riding again.
    Keep pedaling your a long time dead

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I’m quite young at 26 and find it difficult to get motivated. Especially after a 12 hour night shifts, were you just want to sit down and relax on your days off.

However come spring time when it gets a bit warmer and drier I know the motivation will come flooding back and I’ll be out for a few hours every night/day after work or before work and on my days off.

Not been for a proper ride since January, been on local flat routes and thats it.

Same goes for the motorbike, these cold wet days really makes me want to chop it in for a car, but a bit of warm sun and flys hitting my visor and it puts a smile on my face.

Stick with it, do something different over these last few weeks of dark winter and you’ll be fine.

_tom_
    Free Member

Try a different style of riding for a while. Road or bmx is good to break up days on the mtb.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

35 this year. Still love my bikes, but the British winter is a real slog. Rain, rain, mud, ice and snow are enough to put anyone off. Just take a break from it for a while. As soon as the sun starts to shine, and everything starts to dry out, you’ll find your mojo again. November through to March is always hard.

Alex

44 here. Three stacks and a cracked rib so far this winter. Missed one night ride. Sometimes it is hard to get yourself out there, but as soon as you do, it’s always better than not riding. Buying a road bike ended up being way more fun than I expected. And new cross bike is going to be a blast.

Not riding makes me grumpy. But if I REALLY didn’t want to go, I’d just leave it until I do. Go see Tony (Jedi), he’ll make you want to ride!

andypaul99
    Free Member

its just that time of year when winter really seems to be dragging on and on… however in 6 weeks or so (or maybe sooner) when the sun is out and the temprature rises and the trails are drying out there is nowhere else id rather be!

key is to just maintain some level of fitness, either on turbo road bike or gym so you can have a great summer, even an hour a week is better than nothing – the motivation and fitness will come back

just think of those dusty trails 😀

globalti
    Free Member

Two different bike shop owners have recently told me that mountain bike sales are flatlining while road, hybrid and others are doing well.

I mountain bikes for 23 years and three years ago was getting bored and stale. Then I got a carbon road bike and now I’m as addicted to road cycling as I was to mountain biking. The difference is that I’m much much fitter now and spending less money on brakes and worn out transmissions.

rusty90
    Free Member

Keep pedaling your a long time dead

Wise words mate. Kind of sums it up; if only the rest of life was that simple.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

At the age of 22 I gave up being a serious roadie due to injury…

I was 11 stone then.

For 9 years I didn’t ride a bike at all, then I slowly started to, slowly being the correct term as I was 19 stone! I chose a mtb as one would support my weight 😳

The last few years have been ace, can’t get enough of mtb’ing 😆

I turn 40 soon, and ride with people as old as 65! Infact one 65 year old I ride with is fast, and drinks like a fish!

If I am that good at that age I will be happy 😆

Should say I am 15 stone and reasonably fit now!!

Northwind

When I started to lose interest in motorbikes, I tried to force the issue- did more riding, more events, more trackdays… Terrible idea, it just smashed the last remaining bit of joy completely. Don’t force it, is my advice, just hang them up for a while and ride if you want to.

Try and keep in touch with it though- it’s possible to forget how good things can be.

BadlyWiredDog

People use age as an excuse – for their moobs, for their lack of motivation, for neglecting their bodies. It isn’t. It’s just a number. If you love riding bikes, you love riding bikes. And if you don’t, hey, don’t beat yourself up about it, find something else you love doing for a bit, then come back to it when you get the urge. But age really is just a number and 43 is a relatively low one…

HermanShake
    Free Member

Milky, what’s your riding habit? Where, how often and what type of riding are you into?

A change of discipline, location and motivation for riding can invigorate things.

Sounds like you may have reached a plateau (sic?) a skills course/new build/trip to a new riding location/meeting new people to ride with can nudge you out of it.

I kind of had this with climbing, I was being too hard on myself and would ruin a good session by focusing on what I didn’t or couldn’t do. Also comparing myself to peers who had more experience/strength/time to climb and the difference in development did not help at all. It ended up making me ride my bike more 😆 which is something that fell by the wayside due to climbing… I will get back into climbing, but I’m so in love with mtb at the moment that there’s no rush.

What is the reason you used to love riding?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The best thing to do is buy a road bike. Smash in the road miles and never ride your mtb again. It works for me.

BadlyWiredDog

The best thing to do is buy a road bike. Smash in the road miles and never ride your mtb again. It works for me.

It seems to have left you with only a few functioning brain cells though and compulsive trolling problem 😉 And you’re what, 12 years old?

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Try a cx bike – it gives a whole new (great!) perspective on riding off-road.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

And you’re what, 12 years old?

No, Im 15 but I look 18

doubledunter
    Free Member

Just turned 45 and only really started riding trails 3 years ago, was very into bikes when I was a teenager then fell away for 25/30 years..big regret falling away from it,now I try and get out every chance I get to try and make up for it. .hail rain or snow, does take me a little longer to recover after hard day in the saddle but wouldnt have it any other way, hopefully still be riding 20 years from now :mrgreen:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘bored of moutain biking’ is closed to new replies.