Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 135 total)
  • Bored of anti English Scots.
  • athgray
    Free Member

It is both possible to be proud Scottish and British. No home country has ownership over a UK passport.

gordimhor

If the passport says UK, and that means there are no scots, then surely are no English, Welsh or Northern Irish. This in turn means that Italy are this years six nations champions 🙂

gordimhor

Oops my mistake that should say Italy are this years 4 nations champions 🙂

KonaTC

Awe bless

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’m English, (well English, Irish and Welsh) and I **** hate the England football team – can I vote in the Scottish independence referendum?

athgray
    Free Member

Ivan. Only if you vote No. 🙂

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I’m English, (well English, Irish and Welsh) and I **** hate the England football team – can I vote in the Scottish independence referendum?

Even the Germans get a vote if resident and on the electoral role

epicyclo

buzz-lightyear – Member
    Its puzzling because to a man I have found Scots to be fine folk and hospitable. My theory is that their history lessons veer toward anti-English sentiment. Its not surprising when their country has been effectively annexed several times…

Like when our king took over the English throne…. 🙂

elpuko
    Free Member

I’m English and love rugby. I was happy with the Welsh win. The simple truth is that if you love a sport then you should hope that the sport itself wins the day and today it did.

Nationalism in the wrong hands is dangerous and all of the home nations have problems with it. Some more than others. I flatly refuse to mention sheep as a sign of respect to my Welsh brothers.

federalski
    Free Member

It is difficult for an English person to understand.

Sure we have some regional television show’s and Radio Scotland is great but the rest of the media are nigh on intolerable when it comes to Euro’s, World Cups and the like, and rightly so I suppose as they are covering for 95% of the audience.

And just to stay with football, we have not qualified since 98…jesus!
    It is getting worse, as we are just getting more and more used to supporting Englands opposition with the likelihood of us qualifying any time soon pretty bleak.

bencooper
    Free Member

I suppose an equivalent would be if all the TV channels kept going on about France – the BBC reported French news as if it applied to England, ITV broadcast only French football, etc.

unknown
    Free Member

This is basic stuff. Sport, especially invasion games like rugby or football, thrives on tribalism. On a very simple level we used to have war on a local and national scale and now we have sport. For that to work you need to have an in-group, who you like, and an out group, who are the villains. For Scotland, England are the dastardly clan from the next glen, why wouldn’t we want them to lose? Or why wouldn’t we feel an affinity over another small nation like wales or Ireland who also have to live in their cultural shadow?

That and no one likes England anyway.

Houns

So, because of the media and wendyball some of you hate England?

How very American of you

konabunny
    Free Member

I hate the way this extreme behaviour is just accepted, if the same behaviour was exhibited in an english office environment somebody would be reprimanded.

You’re pretty naive if you think that’s extreme behaviour.

PS “one World Cup and two world wars”, sound familiar?

Mikey65
    Free Member

True story——Talking in pub to Scots mate, I live in an area where there is a Scots history…..He was talking about Bannockburn or Culloden (whichever one they won) and I said forget that, what about Gazza knocking the ball over Hendry’s head and sticking it in the net at Euro 20**……..”Och, you are talking history now” is what he said….Absolutely Brilliant………..Father In law is a Jock from Greenock,so get the ABE a lot, They just have to hate something…..If they are not fighting each other they look for the next best thing..their neighbours………..It can’t be true about the Scots hating England, otherwise there wouldn’t be thousands of them living here.

duckman

So far we have had the usual description of the scots as sweaties who are no rivals and an English person has described themselves as our colonial masters. Add in the usual deep fried food jokes and arrogant attitude that borders on outright racism (paddys jocks and taffs? )….how can all the posters of the above insults justify anything else other than the whole abe thing if that is the attitude they display towards their former colonies ( again,a description of scotland in this thread) As was alluded to earlier, the whole ABE thing is actually a global phenomenon,certainly throughout the commonwealth. Maybe the whole world is out of step? Still the 3 pages since the op started the thread should have answered his Q,so a success then.

giant_scum
    Free Member

Born and raised in Scotland, consider myself British first then Scottish. Pretty sure there will be folks on here from Yorkshire, etc who are the same British first then Yorkshire?

I reckon the hatred that surrounds English sports teams mostly comes from the media reporting/hyping of these events, you know the sort ‘England only need to turn up and they’ve won’!

In case anybody is in doubt it’s a ‘No’ from me next year!

dickieboy
    Free Member

It’s pretty simple:

If you grew up in a country where the thistles were waist high and the men wore skirts you’d be bitter and twisted!

That is all 🙂

heckler73
    Free Member

no sympathy, i dont give a hoot whos english welsh irish, doesnt bother me, but when i had an english stw member here e mail me and call me a jock arsehole, well well, what goes around comes around get on with it, people dying every day …. live life , get out and ride , put a smile on your face its monday tomorrow…………… 😀

Woody
    Free Member

I hate the way this extreme behaviour is just accepted, if the same behaviour was exhibited in an english office environment somebody would be reprimanded.

That made me laugh a lot and I’ve lived in England for 26 years. Like everything else, ‘sensible’ people take it as a joke and a bit of banter but there are a small minority of morons who cant quite get their head around this.

In fairness to ‘The Scots’ it’s not just them who like to have a pop at ‘The English’. Hard as it may be for some English people to accept, there are many countries where I have encountered a ‘dislike’, partly for historic reasons and partly a combination of arrogance and bad behaviour.

I’m off to France in a few weeks and if/when the locals find out that I’m Scottish, the attitude can change quite dramatically 😉

athgray
    Free Member

Black flag says,
    “Yep. The Scots hate the English as we are generally their more successful neighbours and such petty rivalries are as good a backlash as they can get”.

I can see that irony has never made it in to your vocabulary.
    Sporting successes or failures aside, Scotland is a great country with some spectacular scenery and cities. People are generally friendly and we have a pretty good reputation around the World. Oil industry and whisky trade contributing vast sums to the UK economy.

It is perhaps you that should be shown pity black flag.

poly
    Free Member

if the same behaviour was exhibited in an english office environment somebody would be reprimanded.

Odd because I (as a Scot) worked in the midlands for a while and banter bordering on racism was rife; nobody complained, and the management chain included both Scots and English. Is it possible the Scottish have a better sense of humour?

unknown
    Free Member

That’s true about the worldwide thing. All over Europe, in Africa and in south America I’ve experienced the same thing. See a UK passport or hear English being spoken and people are polite at best, but the minute they find out you’re Scottish they can’t do enough for you. I imagine the same would be true of Irish or welsh.

bencooper
    Free Member

So, because of the media and wendyball some of you hate England?

How very American of you

Well, I am Scottish-American 😉

It’s also things like the casual references to fried food, Jocks, dreary climate, Scotch, stuff like that. Note how many Scots have made casual insults about the English in this thread? And vice versa?

but the minute they find out you’re Scottish they can’t do enough for you

I’ve found that too – which is ironic considering it was Scots who basically ran the Empire.

grantway
    Free Member

I’m 50/50 Welsh and English so one part of me is chuffed
    and the other some how not surprised.

But regarding the Scots just what have the ever won in world sporting :mrgreen:

konabunny
    Free Member

Well, we’ve done very well in the curling, apart from some upsets by the Canadians…

.how can all the posters of the above insults justify anything else other than the whole abe thing if that is the attitude they display towards their former colonies

Because some of us who are ripping the piss out of touchy thistle-botherers are Scots ourselves?

scotroutes

And don’t forget the elephant polo!

yunki
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure this type of attitude is not shared with other home nations (but happy to be told otherwise).

roflcopters

coffeeking
    Free Member

roflcopters

I’m not sure it’s quite as vitriolic elsewhere, IMO. After lots of discussions with Scottish friends (having lived here for 5 years) the realisation is that (certainly in the highlands) when school kids in England are taught about WW1 and WW2, lots of Scottish schools teach far more about the wars/battles between England and Scotland (naturally) and the teachers often push their personal feelings on the students. And this tends to reinforce the historic feelings.

On a personal level they are some of my best friends and I genuinely love living here, but out in the pub wih them there’s an almost scary switch to hatred of the English teams (or even the English commentators), shortly followed by repeated “sorry, nothing personal” lol.

As an English guy here I have no issues, it doesn’t affect my daily life and I never get “anti-Englishism” causing a problem day to day, it’s only apparent in sporting situations. As such, I don’t really care, though it would probably be healthier to teach facts and emphasise harmony, I don’t think it really matters that much.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’m amazed that people find time in their busy schedules to get so worked up about this?

I’m a Scotlander who spent most of his adult life in England and recently moved back to Scotland, from that experience I have deduced two things: some people are lady gardens and haterz gonna hate.

The whole anti-your-neighbour thing stretches from kiddies classrooms to nations and races, why should scotland/England be any different?

Personally I don’t care too much, obviously it can grate when someone makes an anti Scotland comment, but it actually pisses me off just as much when a Scottish person who has never left their own city/town makes a comment about English people based on nothing other than what they’ve read in the Sun.

I liked/disliked the exact same type of people both north and south of the border and the proportions were near identical, not counting the south east or Edinburgh obviously 😉

yunki
    Free Member

nah, you’re right of course, the Scots intolerance of the English is legendary..

Although I was amused yesterday afternoon in a rough Devon pub to witness the tribal hatred that folk could have towards a town just across the river!

Marin
    Free Member

Yawn. Thankfully I’m off out in ten minutes. Good on the Welsh for stuffing us we deserved to loose. When I lived in Scotland a Scottish friend advised those who were very anti-me because I was English were doing me a favour and saving me a lot of time by finding out they were a dickhead straight away. Scotland and the west coast is one of the most beautiful places on the planet and I know because I have seen a lot of it. Ding dong saved by the doorbell!

bencooper
    Free Member

It is interesting to compare the Scottish/English thing with the English/American thing. Americans think England (if they ever think about it at all) as a small wet dreary place full of castles, whereas the English/British resent the arrogance and cultural hegemony of the USA.

We’re swamped with US TV shows (and love it) but think Americans are fat and stupid.

duckman

konabunny – Member

Because some of us who are ripping the piss out of touchy thistle-botherers are Scots ourselves?
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Aye,because casual racism is funny.As for being touchy; call somebody some of the terms used on here to describe Scots/Irish/Welsh in any public sector job and see what happens.

yunki
    Free Member

As for being touchy; call somebody some of the terms used on here to describe Scots/Irish/Welsh in any public sector job and see what happens.

what about on a building site..?

athgray
    Free Member

Are there many public sector jobs on building sites?

duckman

Been there yunki, “porridge wog” was one I had to work in London to hear.

proteus
    Free Member

As a Scot south of the border I quite enjoy sporting banter. The regular, casual and definitely-not-casual racism can be pretty nasty to live with though…

1981miked
    Free Member

Yawn.. This boring old subject… Again.

Halfwits who indulge in this moronic behaviour both side of the border in my experience.

Yes the media is very English biased towards sport but they compete at a higher and more competitive level than Scotland. I enjoy watching England and don’t have a problem with them succeeding, however it does get a bit tiresome with talk of “66” and “can we do it again”… In reality I think we/they know they can’t and won’t do again in the near future. But the media like to hype them up. Which generates support but annoys alot of Scots.

The ABE thing is stupid and childish though. As for yesterday.. England played well all tournament so deserved the win prior to the game, Wales started the tournament badly and improved every game.. Then turned up yesterday and wanted it more.. The right team won on the day.

However comments like the ones posted on page 2 by Mrsmith (serious or not) are antagonistic, immature, uncalled for, moronic and nasty. I think people need to grow up on both sides of the border. Competitive banter is good but it can escalate quickly.

We suck at Football… Fact! … Deal with it!

metalheart
    Free Member

In scotland, it’s pretty standard to get the piss ripped out of you regardless.

I worked in Embra for a year and had to *suffer* the taunts of being a sheepshagger… seens as I hail from the granite city. Oh how I laughed. Actually, some of it was quite funny. 😀

In return I pretended to be catholic just to wind up the orange lodger hun supporters (this was the time when they were winning everything in sight). Mind you one in particular was a right twunt and *confided* his hatred of women in the workplace…

Bottom feeders are found everywhere. You just need to rise above it all…

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 135 total)

The topic ‘Bored of anti English Scots.’ is closed to new replies.