Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Bonty Mud X's – best autumn/winter tyre ever?
  • rewski
    Free Member

I’m sure others are good but these tubeless tredz are pretty amazing. Thoughts?

scaredypants

yeh, they’re pretty good

trailrakers better for pure traction on the back I think, and neither very grippy on wet roots

holed a mud-x last time out in the new forest (flinty rock here) but fixed with an anchovy (?)

mintimperial

Just popped one of mine this morning, mere seconds after raving about how I’d not had a puncture since fitting them and going tubeless. Serves me right I suppose.

They seem pretty good to me, cut through the gloop nicely, although likewise I could still use more grip on the back for getting up slippery stuff. Might try Trailrakers next time, anyone got any other recommendations?

13thfloormonk

Yeah, its just a shame other manufacturers don’t develop their own ‘lots of well spaced squares’ tread pattern, I’m suspicious of TLR tyres after I slashed my Jones last winter, shame because it was a very good tyre as well.

RealMan
    Free Member

anyone got any other recommendations?

Spesh storm controls maybe? Never used them myself, but heard some good things.

rewski
    Free Member

anchovy?

Not sure anything grips wet roots, unfortunately.

Out all morning on North Downs so lots of flinty rock and slippery wet chalk, good riding.

scaredypants

is anchovy wrong ? 😳

sticky rubber strip/thread that you shove into the hole using a sort of darning needle

(supertacky swampthings grip wet roots quite well but they’re a bastard to pedal on roads or harder bits of trail)

Northwind

Maxxis Medusa is pretty comparable to Mud X I reckon.

grantway
    Free Member

Try Trailrackers

postierich
    Free Member

Mud x fan here even on Cannocks shiny slimy pebbles!

Taff
    Free Member

I loved mine last year but this year have a fire xc pro and that has done surprisingly well. Only use one on the front as found the rear a bit sketchy and had trouble getting to grips with it

rewski
    Free Member

scaredypants – I’ve not heard of anchovy, sounds like I might need it one day 😀

Clink

found the rear a bit sketchy and had trouble getting to grips with it

😆

chunkypaul
    Free Member

they are okay

but……

the medusas are better in the winter and imo the standard ACX is a better autumn/winter tyre

Taff
    Free Member

I agree with you Paul on the acx – better valuefor money I think too

rOcKeTdOg

what are they like on the tarmac, draggy?

crotchrocket
    Free Member

yup. and sketchy while turning.

my usual pairing is a Mud-x front & trailraker rear, as the trailraker doesn’t do corners, but has more ‘thrust’.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I really like mine, pretty good all year round too

dmjb4
    Free Member

trailrakers better in all out mud, but the bontys are a better all round autumn / winter tyre. one season only though, as the light weight comes from thin sidewalls, they tend to split through wear and creasing, not rocks. the spesh are better on wet roots, but that tackiness comes at a price, they drag badly on most surfaces.

Chris-S
    Free Member

Use my mud x all year

Can’t be bothered with changing as anything else would only be marginally better.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Awesome tyres.

mollski
    Free Member

got a brand new pair for sale

Keva
    Free Member

yup love ’em

tragically1969
    Free Member

@mollski, how much ?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Bonty Mud X's – best autumn/winter tyre ever?’ is closed to new replies.