Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Bontrager TLR flash charger floor pump
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

To get a fat tyre up first go is batter than a compressor

riddoch

Air shot posted in their Facebook page they are expecting to ship in April (I think) with a retail around the £50 mark. It you are needing a pump anyway the bonteger might work out cheaper.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Air shot posted in their Facebook page they are expecting to ship in April (I think

how come it is taking so long – surely it has been prototyped in all those ghetto versions?

Or are there issues and that guy on here that was moaning about a bust tyre was actually correct ?

taxi25
    Free Member

Emailed airshot before Christmas. Their response then was the design was being modified, and they were hoping to start selling at the end of January. If thats April now the Bontrager is looking more interesting all the time.

njee20
    Free Member

And let’s be honest “around £50”, will probably be £65 or something!

I’m sorely tempted by the Bontrager one, I like the idea that you just chuck it in the car (as I’d be doing with a track pump anyway) and can then change tyres at races on a whim. Not that I own enough 29er tyres for this to really be an issue 😕

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

They’ve specifically said £50-£55, and given they are saying shipping within a month, I’d expect they have a pretty firm idea of their pricing by now/

njee20
    Free Member

Very good, I take it back.

The Bontrager appeals to me as it’s just one thing, rather than having a separate pump, but I can see merit in both.

D0NK

Does seem pretty expensive but think I may end up with a bonty flash thingy. Been meaning to sort out a ghetto pop bottle one but my lethargy plus my lack of confidence in my bodging abilities, multiplied by the potential for injury means I haven’t bothered yet. Hopefully price will have come down before riding season starts again and I want to change some tyres (lookslike I’ll be sticking with mud tyres in the foreseeable)

dirtydog
    Free Member

Lol.. yeah.. if you have a good tubeless ready tyre, the right rim and a good rimstrip. But then, so does any other track pump.

Up to now have tried Speed Kings, Nobby Nics, Minions and Ardents, all non tubeless (on stans rims) and inflate with a couple of strokes.

Ive also got a high pressure Bontrager pump (Charger) and whilst it does inflate all the above it does takes about twice as many strokes as it doesn’t have the volume of the Joe Blow, only ever use the Mountain now.

Not sure any track pump would work, perhaps they would, if they did then there shirley there wouldn’t be a market for the Flash and Mountain?

njee20
    Free Member

It’s not just about volume though, it’s about rate of flow.

The Joe Blow Mountain has a higher volume than your average pump – so each stroke pumps more air, so yes, if a tyre is marginal a Joe Blow Mountain may well work. The Flash Charger though can release a vast amount more air in one go, which will be significantly more effective on really stubborn tyres.

molgrips
    Free Member

Up to now have tried Speed Kings, Nobby Nics, Minions and Ardents, all non tubeless (on stans rims) and inflate with a couple of strokes.

Yep, I’ve got Stan’s rims and strips and I’ve always been able to do them with a trackpump.

Mavic 317s and Sunn Singletrack though – different story.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

it just depends on tyre/rims combo

crossmax st – went up with every tyre brand instantly on a crap cheap Halfords own brand track pump

stans flow – as above mostly, very occasionally I couldn’t get contis rubber queens on the initial time so had to use a compressor (but always worked with a track pump after theyd been on a few rides

mavic xm819s – hit and miss, never got any schwalbes on without a compressor, but maxxis flew on with any track pump

current sram rail 50’s – not a chance with absolutely any tyre brand, with a track pump but go on easily with a compressor, have used maxxis and schwalbe and conti and never even with a joe blow mountain track pump got the buggers on! and whats more even after been on 3 months use you’d expect they’d go right on again when ive needed to take it off for sealant/puncture right?! well nope will not seat without a compressor

so as it stands as they are my current wheelset either the airshot or the bontrager flash charger would be a brilliant addition to me!

if I was on stans flows or spesh rims etc I prob wouldn’t bother as a mountain joe blow gets a lot of volume in and seats them first time from my experience with a bit of soapy water and a joe blow track pump

but some rims just don’t play ball, so a track pump no matter how high volume doesn’t cut it

singlespeedstu

theres a video on youtube with the fat tyres being inflated, it works!

Any link to that please?

I bet it was a Bonty tyre and Bonty tubeless rim?
    Looking at the size of the storage cylinder on the Bonty pump I’d say it’d have f’all chance of getting a Nate onto a Rolling D.
    Takes a bit of effort with a large compressor so i really don’t think there’s a long enough blast of air for it to work.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Like me Stu, looks like we’ve been inflating tyres the longwinded way 😆

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

It is a bonty rim and tyre yes but it’s a fat bike like the chap asked, it’s not seated when he uses it and pops straight on

No doubt it won’t work on a uber niche :rolleyes: fat bike wheel but it certainly works on that one

singlespeedstu

I think you’re missing my point but never mind.
    Nates and rolling d’s are as un niche as it gets. 🙂 (hence asking the question as loads of people have this setup)
    I hear that you could get the Bonty setup to work with a mini pump though. So no great reflection of the ability of this new pump to seat a fat setup. 😉

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

fair enough, don’t know anything about fat bikes tbh, just thought id tell him it was possible given the video id seen

sure it will work on pretty much any tyre/rim combo on normal sized wheels though

ill probably buy whichever ones available first out of the bontrager or airshot

DrP

So..I picked up a bonty flash pump up yesterday, and immediately (well, got home first) used it to seat tow tubeless 29er tyres.
    I say I did it – my 5 year old son did it for me.

This thing is BRILLIANT!

My wife even commented I didn’t need to swear or take off my glasses to get the tyres seated!

Cracking bit of kit, nice and simple – yes, it does the job of the DIY models (of which I had one, that eventually exploded…!) but it’s nice to have nice stuff that just works.

DrP

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

drp – nice one, tyre / rim combo???

I just want clarification its gonna work on my sram rails otherwise its a wasted 100 squids!

also where did you get it? I cant see anywhere online that stocks them

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I got a full size fire extinguisher in Aldi for a fiver at chistmas – their roof was leaking and the box was wet 😀 – Just need to empty it, remove gauge and fit a drilled plug with a presta valve in it, and fire one of those topeak brass QD numbers on the end of the hose. Reckon on it costing me 15-20 quid all in.

I’ll post up some pics when I’m done.

I may even spray it a nice endoorocolourway….

taxi25
    Free Member

And let’s be honest “around £50”, will probably be £65 or something!

Good call, available for pre order £59.99+ £3.99 p/p.

dallas95
    Free Member

Good call, available for pre order £59.99+ £3.99 p/p.

Disappointed with the price. At £50 I was thinking OK, it’s steep for a cylinder with a hose but it’s a start-up business so they gotta get a return. I was also expecting the price to include shipping as it’s an online business. Another 15% on top including shipping is pushing me to the flash charger for around £90 as it’s a good track pump as well as a cylinder. With the airshot I think there will be several copies coming from china later this year if people think the margins are that good.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got a Flash Charger on order – due next week. I’ll update!

Shame my cynicism on the Airshot pricing proved accurate, not a surprise though.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Bontrager TLR flash charger floor pump’ is closed to new replies.