Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Bontrager TLR flash charger floor pump
  • tang
    Free Member

I had a look at one today, seems perfect. 100 sheets is a bit to spend but for racing/pits/workshop could be good. Anyone got one?
    http://www.bontrager.com/model/11881

torihada
    Free Member

I fancy one of these: I keep going thru CO2 containers, I don’t have room for a compressor. Am still toying with ghetto coke bottle compressor. Just think the bonty will be hassle free.

Did it feel well built? Did you try the compression chamber?

Northwind

You could build a very nice fire extinguisher inflator for less than that. It’s a good idea though but seems extremely expensive for what it is- basically a bottle and a valve.

tang
    Free Member

I’m surprised no one else has made one(or have they?). It is a good design; normal pump then flip the lever, fill the chamber, then pop!

poah
    Free Member

my coke bottle inflator does the same job much cheaper

akak
    Free Member

Someone is making a fire extinguisher type thing called Airshot for about £50, came up in a previous thread. A Joe blow mountain is almost good enough so i’d reckon a Joe blow fat should do it? (also apparently not out yet)

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

LBS demo’ed it on a wheel I’d taken in to get a new conti tubeless inflated as I’d given up. Worked first time. Cracking bit of kit.

tang
    Free Member

It is a neat unit. Be great for road trips and races.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have ordered one but there it’s a delay until next month on it.

kelvin

I’ve got the large volume Joe Blow pump… essential bit of kit.

No doubt this Bonty solution is even better.

(Don’t forget to take your valve cores out when mounting tubeless tyres with high volume pumps)

njee20
    Free Member

Thing is many decent track pumps are £50, so to say it’s £100 compared to an inflator is a bit unfair. Very decent track pump too!

BadlyWiredDog

Pedalon had them on sale for 85 quid – out of stock now – and I bought one. Turned up today and it seems very well thought out and a solid bit of kit – weighs 2.85kg… The barrels and base are metal, the handle’s plastic, so is the release trigger thing for the air reservoir, but it’s no big deal unless you’re convinced that everything must be made of metal for it to work.

You inflate the pressurised reservoir with about 45 strokes of the pump, connect it to the tyre valve and pull up the red handle to release the air and whoosh…. I inflated three tubeless tyres earlier, just for the hell of it, and they all went up instantly, no problems seating the bead at all. It’s like magic.

I bought it because I ride a fair bit. Change tyres quite regularly on several different bikes, all run tubeless and I simple get bored with the faff and effort of trying to seat various tyre and rim combinations.

I get that I could probably bodge a cut-priceI alternative using a pop bottle or the spare tyre from my car or a cunningly manipulated Space Hopper or an Aeropress, but I like the neatness of the concept and I’m a bit of a sucker for clever gadgetry. Mostly though I just like the idea of not wasting hours faffing with tubeless tyres.

So yeah, so far, I reckon it seems pretty good.

Oh, one of the reviews I read said that the base of the pump is cheap plastic rather than metal. Maybe that was the case on pre-production test pumps, but the one I have definitely has a metal base.

tang
    Free Member

Nice one Dog. On my birthday wish list now.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“but the plastic lever on the pump head feels quite thin. (The head works well with both Presta and Schrader valves.) Likewise the plastic handle flexes on the downstroke. Neither feels robust, and we question the durability over many years.”

bike radar review.

work in plastic it may …. last it will not.

the heads on our track pumps always die….

almost always the connection to the hose or the flip lever. if im spending 100 sheets on a track pump regardless of how fancy it is , if they cant get the basics of a robust head right then – fack em.

supercharger is still number 1 on my list – closely followed by the airmenius.

shame they changed the rennekompressor to be a piece of shite – the old shops one is edging 20 years old.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

the heads on our track pumps always die….

… and can always be replaced for a few quid.

Drama Queen.

schmiken

I had this idea a few years ago, shame I never patented it 🙁

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve always worked on the basis that changing track pump heads is easy enough. I guess if the plastic handle breaks I’ll see how well Bontrager’s ‘Unconditional Guarantee’ works.

Bear in mind that I’m a simple home user rather than a professional in a workshop using the pump multiple times per day and my intention mainly is simply to mainly use it for tubeless installation. I have a piece of shite Rennkompressor for everyday use.

Anyway, I’ll report back when it all falls to pieces. 😐

mattjg
    Free Member

A good idea IMO, one more dependency on your ‘friendly’ LBS broken (always a good thing in my experience). They should save a lot of faff with soapy water etc plus time too.

They’ll get cheaper.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“… and can always be replaced for a few quid.

Drama Queen.”

so its not reasonable to expect that a 100 pound track pump has a decent head from the off.

worlds going to hell in a hand cart i tell ya.

Nobby

Ghetto Mk VII FTW 😉

BadlyWiredDog

so its not reasonable to expect that a 100 pound track pump has a decent head from the off.

worlds going to hell in a hand cart i tell ya.

I promise to come back and let you know when it breaks.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

BDW – what rim tyres combos have you tried?

I will defo get one of these as I can for the life of me not get tyres to seat on my sram rail wheels

I think its a great idea and saves the stress (which it is when you fail getting them seated!), and petrol and scrounging the lbs to use their compressor

im defo in, a decent pump is circa 50quid so 100 is not bad at rrp (but youll get it with 10% off somewhere once they are in stock I bet)

BadlyWiredDog

Er, a TR Racing Ralph on a an early Stan’s rim, a Bontrager TR XR4 on a Mavic UST and an EXO Ardent on a Flow. None of them are particularly problematic combinations anyway, but they all went straight up.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Supposedly the Airshot is being released next month. Might hang off till I hear a few reports on that before I decide myself, Airshot is half the price, and while the Bontrager is a handy 2 in 1, I’ve already got a nice track pump that’s probably got another 10 years life left in it!

bonesetter
    Free Member

’45 pumps’

Not sure if I could manage that

DrP

I’m getting one.
    But I’m going to rig it up to some 15mm copper piping, some ball bearings, and some vaseline, and use it planetary defense for when the aliens attack….

DrP

jimmy

Having just made one….

Sparkling mineral water bottle compressor FTW

Rosss
    Free Member

I’ll be getting one, Ghetto pop bottle hasn’t worked that well for me at all and it’ll make a nice change to not have to release a valve with eyes closed holding my breath.

I’m sure these will be pretty common place in a year and probably half the price

dirtydog
    Free Member

bonesetter – Member

’45 pumps’

Not sure if I could manage that
    Posted 2 hours ago #

Takes 3-4 strokes with a Joe Blow Mountain to seat a tyre and around another 20 or so to bring it up to pressure.

bonesetter
    Free Member

So, Joe Blow wins?

bonesetter
    Free Member

Or should I get into training?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAo8Xmo34Js[/video]

mattjg
    Free Member

If only ever failed once with a Joe Blow Mountain (that was an HD on a Flow) but some of the other combos have needed a lot of time and bloody-mindedness.

I’m in for a sloshy thing when they get cheaper.

johnnystorm

Blimey, Trail_Rat that’s “glass half full” cherry picking of the bad bits from that bike radar review. In just about every other paragraph they can’t heap enough praise on it!!! Yeah, it’s £100 but I can certainly see the appeal!

bonesetter
    Free Member

Bike Radar give it 4.5 stars – that’s pretty much the most they give anything

Shame about the gauge range being too wide – most mtb tyres don’t go much above 30 psi

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Bontrager are big into road tubeless though so the gauge needs to do both.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

So, Joe Blow wins?

no – it works sometimes, and other times you need to resort to co/2 cartridges.

Plus the stock head isn’t that good, have to be quite careful not to drop too much pressure when you take it off.

molgrips
    Free Member

Takes 3-4 strokes with a Joe Blow Mountain to seat a tyre

Lol.. yeah.. if you have a good tubeless ready tyre, the right rim and a good rimstrip. But then, so does any other track pump.

If you don’t have those things it’s CO2 or a compressor. Or one of these new inventions.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I wonder how the pump would fair with fat tyres?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

bonesetter – theres a video on youtube with the fat tyres being inflated, it works!

im defo getting one that’s for sure, may consider the air shot thing too, but not sure yet

bullroar
    Free Member

I got one for rather less than the RRP, slightly used by LBS, as I was after a new track pump anyway. I have tried it on several different tyres and wheel combinations and all have worked first go. Really good bit of kit that makes setting up tubeless less of a faff.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Bontrager TLR flash charger floor pump’ is closed to new replies.