Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • BMC Alpenchallenge Drop Bar Conversion
  • donslow

Just picked up a 2017 BMC Alpenchallenge for an absolute bargain price to cover commuting duties

Thinking about a drop bar conversion but have seen very little (nothing actually) online where people have done this

Is there a good reason for it? Has anyone here has done this or something similar? Can anyone advise on whether it’s a good or bad idea at all?

13thfloormonk

The cost of the parts and the weird geometry probably.

Buying drop bar shifters and brake levers aftermarket is v.spendy, and a set of drop bars and shifter hoods adds about 110mm reach to the bars, so even with a super short stem you’ll probably end up stretched out.

It can be done though if you have an appetite for experimenting

cynic-al
    Free Member

What 13FM said.

That’s said, many drop bar converters think it’s amazing, until they ride a bike designed for drop bars.

RichBowman

I used to have one of these, probably around that era 16/17

It was really quick, even for a flat bar. I’d probably leave it as it is to be honest.

donslow

Thanks for all the input guys

I’m a bit of a serial tinkerer so was more thinking out loud than anything

Truth be told, I’ll keep it as it is but just wondering on opinion of such a change more than anything, given opinion so far, doesn’t seem like such a grand plan

Next idea…powder coating ha ha

donslow

Thanks again all, admittedly I only picked the bike up yesterday so have yet to commute on her so I’m probably jumping the gun just a bit

Currently has this as a cockpit
    48201-F30-D695-452-F-BD6-E-F884074720-AE

So will see how I get on with those (as said earlier, will probably end up abandoning the idea and keeping it “stock”)

Also had a brief look at these but braking lever positioning alone, I’m thinking it’s more faff than it’s worth

As I say, haven’t actually commuted on her yet so I will probably be quite happy as is

13thfloormonk

There was another thread like this just the other day, I posted a pic of my 29er which I had tried to adapt for gravel, in the end I just bought some ‘classic’ shaped bar ends and put them inboard of the shifters to give a width roughly equivalent to the width of the hoods on my normal gravel bike.

Works well enough

donslow

@13thfloormonk ooh sounds like it could worth a read, do recall the thread title?

13thfloormonk
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘BMC Alpenchallenge Drop Bar Conversion’ is closed to new replies.