Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 378 total)
  • Bloody Athiests!
  • slackalice
    Free Member

If I’d known there was going to be spankings I’d have signed up years ago.

Who needs science eh?!!

GrahamS

Don’t believe… make a great big song and dance (nice living too) about it… but then you get to change your mind, once having the proof you require… and no harm done

You’re not describing an atheist; you’re describing a scientist.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Ro5ey – Member

Yeah of course

Nice to see aethesist believe that too

But I guess that’s one of the great pro’s for some aethesist.

Don’t believe… make a great big song and dance (nice living too) about it… but then you get to change your mind, once having the proof you require… and no harm done

Well, obviously that’s a poor atempt at humour, or you REALLY ARE a nitwit.

No offense.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Don’t believe… make a great big song and dance (nice living too) about it.

I take it by “song and dance” you mean – publish your views and engage in debate?

GrahamS

I see. And where is that, exactly?

Don’t ask me. I don’t believe in it.

But if I was to find myself dead, and it turns out I was completely wrong and there actually is a God, Satan, Heaven, Hell, Baby Cheeses, and the Tooth Fairy – then I expect I’d find myself in the warmth with loose women and good music – not having afternoon tea with the big bearded dude.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well some people value evidence above all else, and some value faith itself. To the former that statement is entirely reasonable; to the latter it’s not.

You both need to understand each other’s position.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I’m a little lost here

I think woppit is now having a go at GrahamS

Gray … your in the athesist camp arn’t ya ?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

I see. And where is that, exactly?

Don’t ask me. I don’t believe in it.

But if I was to find myself dead, and it turns out I was completely wrong and there actually is a God, Satan, Heaven, Hell, Baby Cheeses, and the Tooth Fairy – then I expect I’d find myself in the warmth with loose women and good music – not having afternoon tea with the big bearded dude.

😆 Quite.

GrahamS

Gray … your in the athesist camp arn’t ya ?

I are.

Woppit is just lashing out. They are usually civil creatures, but can be dangerous when startled or backed into a corner 😀

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Grr

GrahamS

Woppit earlier:

MrWoppit
    Free Member

… on the right…

slackalice
    Free Member

If I may pose a question to my learned fellow forumites… whom do not subscribe to there being some kind of Universal energy of which we are part (fraction of the whole n all that)…

As atheists, what are your thoughts regarding the extensive research conducted by Dr Raymond Moody (full name given for those who wish to google/wiki), since 1975 on NDE’s?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Hey Woppit

Since finding God I’ve chilled out soooo much

You should try it ?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I prefer not to live a lie. And actually, I’m perfectly chilled, thanks. Not sure why you might think I’m not…

Cougar

Dr Raymond Moody

He sounds cool, he’s got the same degree as Dr Peter Venkman.

molgrips
    Free Member

whom do not subscribe to there being some kind of Universal energy of which we are part

Er well it depends on how you define energy. If you define it like scientists do then yes of course, I have mass therefore I have energy and I exist as part of a Higgs field.

Not quite sure what YOU mean though 🙂

As for the out-of-body and near death experience stuff – that’s just the kind of crazy stuff our brain can do. Just because you remember something having happened, doesn’t mean it did.

Cougar

I have mass

I thought it was just the Christians that did that?

(coat please)

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“I have mass”

Better get back on that idiet then

slackalice
    Free Member

…and hat 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

As atheists, what are your thoughts regarding the extensive research conducted by Dr Raymond Moody (full name given for those who wish to google/wiki), since 1975 on NDE’s?

As an atheist, I have no thoughts on it. As someone with some scientific background, I wonder why he’s not a household name like Newton, Einstein or Hawking – surely he’s published his research in scientific papers where other scientists can see what he did, and reproduce his experiments?

slackalice
    Free Member

Energy defined as the scientists do… yes.

I may be wrong here and conveniently sidestepping a quantum debate, but the Higgs Field is a fundamental part of the Universe isn’t it?

Fair enough to your POV re near death experiences. Thanks.

slackalice
    Free Member

reproduce his experiments?

I don’t think that would be allowed, even in the name of science. 😉

GrahamS

What molgrips said.

As for NDE: I dream all kinds of crazy stuff (mainly unicorns running through forests) and that’s when my brain is still functioning normally.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Peace out

Has been as fun as ever

Have a good weekend all

scuzz
    Free Member

I did not know that there was a Journal of Near-Death Studies which ran from 1987 to 2003.
    A brief look at some abstracts tells me that the evidence comes from the mouths of those who had near death experiences (…obviously).
    It has been proposed that a load of DMT is released in the body near to death. You’ll see all kinds of stuff when your body is full of DMT…

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Ro5ey – Member

Hey Woppit

Since finding God I’ve chilled out soooo much
    Wasn’t it Karl Marx who pointed out the soporific affect of religion in 1844?

If religion chills people out soooooo much how come we still use it as an excuse for war?

slackalice
    Free Member

I wish to apologise for my ill-conceived and quite frankly ridiculous question re NDE’s.

Too late to remove it, but I’ve thought better of it.

Thanks

pitduck
    Free Member

no problem,thinking see 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

the Higgs Field is a fundamental part of the Universe isn’t it?

Yes.

We are all connected at some level, we all occupy the same spacetime, but is that a simple statement of fact or does it infer anything?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Sorry, haven’t read the rest of the thread slackalice, but from your mention of all encompassing energy fields, what do you think in Pantheism? Seems like a nice way of sets of people with disparate views finding some common ground.

GrahamS

It’s an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.

I can’t believe we still need organised religion? It’s 2012 for heavens sake (a term of phrase)

The need to control the population has now been superseded by terror and fear of others such as terrorists, not the fiery pits of hell

GrahamS

{glitch bump}

3 posts and it still isn’t showing the 11th page!

Perhaps it is God’s will that this thread dies?

grantway
    Free Member

Why are there still so many angry athiests?

Depends how open minded you are

Spin
    Free Member

You’re F!ng right I’m angry.

My anger though does not have it’s roots in my athiesm but in my secularism.

I feel no anger towards those with religious faith. You can do what you like on your day of observance with my (humanist) blessing.

The issue that boils my piss is the fact that the codification of faith in our country’s laws has an impact on how I live my life.

Prayers before council meetings, swearing an oath to god when empaneled in a jury, religious observance in schools. We’ve made progress but these vestiges need to go.

miketually
    Free Member

It’s an energy field created by all living things.

Created by all living things?

jamj1974

Isn’t that the force…!

GrahamS

Created by all living things?

Yep. Midi-chlorians to be precise 😉

slackalice
    Free Member

IanMunro – Looks interesting, thanks for that. I hadn’t come across Pantheism per se, so have had a quick look and scan on Pantheism.net as a first stop.

From my brief read so far, I’d say my thoughts and beliefs could well be regarded in some ways as Pantheist. Certainly, for example, that we are all god’s of our own universe’s/experiences.

Hey everybody!! I got me a label! 😕 Possibly even an identity!! 😯

I might have to start changing my philosophy!! Or my wardrobe… 😉

Seriously though, I shall look forward to reading and learning more. I appreciate your suggestion.

How did you come across it? Would you say you subscribe in your own way to this?

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 378 total)

The topic ‘Bloody Athiests!’ is closed to new replies.