Viewing 18 posts - 361 through 378 (of 378 total)
  • Bloody Athiests!
  • Cougar

swearing an oath to god when empaneled in a jury

You can opt out of this I believe; there’s a secular option. Not sure what they use instead of a bible, Ikea catalogue perhaps.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Don’t they use a copy of The God Delusion? And you have to do the swearage in a shrill tone.

grum
    Free Member

You can opt out of this I believe; there’s a secular option. Not sure what they use instead of a bible, Ikea catalogue perhaps.

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, obviously.

edit: Damn too slow!

bencooper
    Free Member

You just have to promise. In Scotland at least.

Spin
    Free Member

You can opt out of this I believe; there’s a secular option.

You’re right that there is a secular option but I would question why the religious version is considered default and the secular one an option.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Or you can cross your fingers behind your back if you’re not given the shrill atheist option.

grum
    Free Member

You’re right that there is a secular option but I would question why the religious version is considered default and the secular one an option.

I’m guessing because we live in a ridiculously anachronistic country where the Queen is the head of state and also head of the church.

rmacattack
    Free Member

so are we all going to hell because of the damage we cause to our planet? using a computer in a house with electric eating from a mass produced food source? surely god aint to happy about us destroying his creation

CountZero

Spin – get over yourself. It’s what it is, live with it and accept it. Is it going to give you a cancer? No, so just shrug and carry on with your life. There are many, mant more things going on to get really angry about, and this isn’t one of them.

yunki
    Free Member

god is a DJ

CountZero

Ian, thanks for the Pantheist link, it’s something I’ve heard of, but never really read about, and I think sums up my way of thinking. I’ve bookmarked it, and I’ll probably drop it into Evernote for more in-depth research.
    Cheers. 😀

Spin
    Free Member

Spin – get over yourself. It’s what it is, live with it and accept it. Is it going to give you a cancer? There are many, mant more things going on to get really angry about, and this isn’t one of them.

So if it isn’t going to kill you you should just live with it and not moan?

I’m willing to bet you don’t live your own life by that standard.

How dare you tell me what to get angry about, that makes me quite mad!!!!!!! 😉

miketually
    Free Member

Uh Oh, a liberal Atheist writes about liberal Christians, this can’t end well: http://robinince.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/uh-oh-a-liberal-atheist-writes-about-liberal-christians-this-cant-end-well/

IanMunro
    Free Member

Seriously though, I shall look forward to reading and learning more. I appreciate your suggestion.

How did you come across it? Would you say you subscribe in your own way to this?

I was looking up something related to Bruce Parry and saw mention of it. I’m with him in prefering the idea of Pandeism, mainly because it isn’t in conflict with any scientific understanding of the universe.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

When i did my Jury Service i refused to swear on the Bible on the point that as i didn’t believe in it’s contents then swearing on it was meaningless. They have a special card that you have to read out instead, it was worth it just to see the clerk of the court panicking as he tried to find it whilst the judge scowled at me 🙂

Edukator
    Free Member

Eleven pages. How long would a thread titled “bloody protetsants” or “bloody Mulsims” or “bloody cathoilcs” or “bloody scientologests” or … have lasted before being pulled? It would appear that atheists and agnostics are confident enough in their views that they don’t need to go crying to the moderators.

Mosr people are happy that a nutty fim star is nuts but some it would appear believe far nuttier stuff because it was written a long, long time ago.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Edukator – Member
    Eleven pages. How long would a thread titled “bloody protetsants” or “bloody Mulsims” or “bloody cathoilcs” or “bloody scientologests” or … have lasted before being pulled?

Or closed by the pedant police 😉 But seriously, I though the same thing with this thread. I don’t understand some of the current rules or at least the way they are enforced. So what seems a perfectly reasonable post (IMO) asking questions about the recent canoe tragedy was closed very quickly, but the one poking fun at the guy being killed while wearing a bigfoot costume was OK. All seems a little odd so glad I have a bike to ride instead. 😉

CountZero

I though the same thing with this thread. I don’t understand some of the current rules or at least the way they are enforced. So what seems a perfectly reasonable post (IMO) asking questions about the recent canoe tragedy was closed very quickly, but the one poking fun at the guy being killed while wearing a bigfoot costume was OK. All seems a little odd so glad I have a bike to ride instead.

One was a tragedy involving the death of small children in unfortunate circumstances, the other was clearly evolution in action, an idiot wearing a heavily camouflaged outfit wanders into the traffic and gets hit by a vehicle. That’s Darwinism for you, nature culling the really stupid.

Viewing 18 posts - 361 through 378 (of 378 total)

The topic ‘Bloody Athiests!’ is closed to new replies.