Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Blocked Spam Phone numbers – how many do you have?
  • somafunk

At the current count i have 157 blocked phone numbers on my iPhone, all the usual shite from PPI parasites to the generic nuisance sales calls – i check the numbers online and if they show up on the “whocallsme?” list or similar then they get blocked but recently i have been getting 2 or 3 calls a day from numbers in egypt with the 0020 prefix – is this a new tact? , i’ve had my current phone number for more than 10 years so i guess it’s on so many phone number lists that there is nothing much i can do apart from not answer then block that number

The sooner this shite is made illegal the better as it interups my listening to headphones at work as i then have to stop what i’m doing to wash my hands and check call, press play on my iPhone etc before going back to work – **** 1st world problem eh? 😉

Anyone beat 157 blocked numbers ?.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I’ve had my mobile number for over a decade as well and I never get any junk texts/nuisance calls. In fact I can’t remember ever having any. So I’m not sure what I’m doing right and you’re doing wrong… I do have an old pre-smartphone phone if that makes a difference?

Get a fair bit of spam on the old landline though…

firestarter
    Free Member

None im afraid and no dodgy calls either and ive had this number years

scotroutes

One – and that’s just Vodafone calling occasionally to see if “I’m happy with my contract”.

somafunk

Christ…. 🙁 , I’ve always ticked the “no contact” or “no share” option on any forms or suchlike and the very few times i did answer by mistake i always asked them to remove me from their lists and not contact me again but i guess that just shows them they have an active number.

It’s a right **** hassle, is there any way to set up the incoming calls so you only get calls from folk in your phone book?.

footflaps

Only 2 numbers blocked and I’ve had the same mobile # since 1998!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

none, I’m happy to talk to anyone who calls, at least most of them are human.
    That and I never have time to take calls when I’m calling the entire STW database 24/7 selling PPI claims

Drac

None.

andermt
    Free Member

12, phone is 14months old.

jam-bo

None, as I’d be very suprised if I’d ever get a call from the same number twice.

I’ve taken to answering the calls anyway now and putting the phone back down on my desk until they give up.

jfletch
    Free Member

About 40 – I went though a phase of getting loads of PPI calls and other shit. They seem to have stopped now so maybe blocking the numbers has meant the calls were failing and I got removed from the lists.

I’m very careful about giving out my number but all it takes is someone with my number to load some shitty app onto their shitty adroid phone and give the app permission to access the phone book and bam, I’m on a list.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Had my mobile number for 17 years and get about 1 call I don’t recognise a week on average. If I don’t recognise the number, it’s private or blocked, I don’t answer. If it’s that important (virtually never is) they can leave me a voicemail.

peterfile
    Free Member

Had my mobile number for 16 years and I don’t get any unwanted calls at all?

Cougar

You know, I don’t recall ever getting a spam call on my mobile. There was a brief spate of cold-calling a few years ago that went:

“Hi, we’re calling from O2.”

Are you actually calling from O2, or on behalf of O2?

“Well, we’re calling on behalf of O2.”

So you’re not actually O2 then?

“No.”

Then foxtrot oscar.

But other than that it’s been spam free. I get the odd spam text every now and then, just forward those on to 7726 (whether that makes any difference or not, who knows). Don’t really see the point in blocking numbers though, the chance of getting the same number ring twice is pretty slim (because, well, people block them).

I get a few on my work mobile, maybe two or three a month. I don’t know the history of that number though.

The landline, I get spammed to death on. I’d have it taken out if I didn’t need it for ADSL. They all start the same way too, “Is that Mr Jones?” Given that Mr Jones was my grandfather and he died about 30 years ago, they must be using some pretty old lists.

crankboy
    Free Member

I find it interesting to talk to these people they are so quick to ask for information but so reluctant to give it . if some one asks me in my job I am happy to provide my full name employers name telephone and email contacts and business address try asking for the same from a PPI or accident company . I also provide a detailed explanation as to my costs to clients whether or not they ask PPI normally don’t claiming it is free but when pressed accept they charge 30% of any cash recovered I then ask if that is net or gross of interest I then explain what net and gross mean. I can keep this going for ages and have established that on average they charge about £1500 for 2 hours work .
    I am on giffgaff and get the full talk time added to my contract.

hilldodger
    Free Member

None, except occasional calls from EE as I’m one of their “valued customers”

kimbers

0 on my (android) phone here

same number for 15 years

i dont think ive ever had a a spam call?

CountZero

I’ve had two that I blocked, one PPI, one bank charges, both from 020 numbers, have had more in the pasta before I was aware that blocking was possible.
    I get loads on the l/line, despite being TCP registered; as most seem to be from abroad, they get away with it.
    I had a call last week that was breathtaking in its persistence; it was a girl with an accent, asking about something, can’t remember what, exactly, but I said I wasn’t interested. Minutes later, phone goes again, this time it’s a bloke, asking me about the previous call, I tell him I’m not interested in what he’s selling, and hang up. Phone goes again, it’s the same bloke, asking me if I’d hung up on him!
    Infernal cheek, I was furious! Said yes, I had hung up, and he could go and **** off!
    And hung up.
    I didn’t hear back a fourth time.
    I now have to lock my phone away at work for security reasons, so anyone calling gets my voicemail message, telling them I’m unavailable during work hours, and to leave a message or call back after 4.30pm. Seems to work, so far.

jota180
    Free Member

I’ve always ticked the “no contact” or “no share” option on any forms or suchlike

I pretty much don’t give out my number to anyone except friends etc. I certainly don’t put it on any forms if I can help it, I tend to make something up if the form has it as a mandatory field.

Cougar

I’ve had two that I blocked, one PPI, one bank charges, both from 020 numbers, have had more in the pasta before I was aware that blocking was possible.

Were they poison penne letters?

bikebouy
    Free Member

One, but then she did get done for sexual harassment (true) 😐

somafunk

Hmm, I guess I’m just lucky to be so popular eh? 😉 , i did have a look through all my contact details for various forums/website saved info etc and there was one that had my phone number listed as a contact (warm showers website – touring cyclists) so i guess that sort of explains why i’ve had so many spam calls over the past 18 months – Arse! – needless to say i’ve removed it now.

samuri
    Free Member

1, quite recently. That’s the first I’ve ever had.

I’d guess you’ve been a bit liberal with your phone number OP. Or someone else has.

muppet4
    Free Member

I’m upto 45 since the NCPA took hold of my number. Getting at least 10 calls a day now and from a range of numbers, wearing thin now.
    And the usual” We are calling about your recent accident” – I haven’t had a poxy accident!!

somafunk

Nah not been liberal in the slightest, in fact i’d go as far as saying i’m the ignorant sort who refuses to give out my phone number unless i really know the person or trust them, and companies that ask for it get given my old payg number that is in my old nokia 3310.

Thinking about it i never had a problem till the past year n’ a bit, I guess my number was lifted from the warm showers site by a bot and added to those number lists that are sold en mass.

My fault then – bugger!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Blocked Spam Phone numbers – how many do you have?’ is closed to new replies.