Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bivvy bag,sleeping bag + self inflating mat for torridon mtb overnighter?
  • martinxyz
    Free Member

I have a Vango venom 300 down sleeping bag (probably too warm) that I was thinking of using for an overnighter over the following week. The thought of biking deep into the hills with a tent,bag and mattress puts me off and I thought that the weight of a bivvy,the sleeping bag,and possibly the self inflating mattress (packs smaller than the sleeping bag) would be a lighter option and more than warm enough.

I know the down bag could be a bit of a problem if it gets a bit wet but I’m wondering what folk have used as far as bivvy’s go.

I don’t think an extra 100g’s for a lightweight one would be something I’d be aiming for. Would probably rather something that does the job well even if it does come in a bit weightier. A midge device would be nice too!

Any idea’s folks?

cheers

Martin

bedmaker

I’ve got a rab storm and a thermarest neoair you can have a go of if you want to try before you buy martin.

martinxyz
    Free Member

How have you found that bivy,Mr maker? I didn’t know what to expect price-wise. I was thinking they would start around 150 quid. Are you in the Area tomorrow? Not sure what I’m up to. I will give you a shout about the bivy if I decide to give it a go. I’ll give the thermarest a miss as I feel I might damage it!

boblo
    Free Member

Not sure I’d want to bivvy in Torridon this time of year. The midges will carry you away! I’m sure I read somewhere of Laser Comps going for ~£140. At a little over 1kg, it’s not much heavier than a bivvy bag and will both keep you dry and give half a chance of keeping the wee beasties at bay.

ojom
    Free Member

Yep what ^ they said.

Midges!

martinxyz
    Free Member

Aye,no much wind over the next day too! Oh well,at least it’s going to be dry and warm.

binners

Decathlon do a big range of lightweight sleeping bags for whatever season. They pack down really small! Ideal for bivvying

happyrider
    Free Member

Not 100% on the name but do a search for “Bikamper” these incorporate the bike with the tent and weigh less than 4lb’s. Not tried one yet but I plan to.

martinxyz
    Free Member

I’m thinking of just taking my sleeping bag for inside a bivy tucked up next to a rock. Not much more. My primaloft jacket on my front wheel should make a fairly decent pillow! Hopefully I’ll find a nice spot overlooking Annat. I want to fish those lochs at the top of the descent before dark/crack of dawn to see what’s on offer.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Not 100% on the name but do a search for “Bikamper” these incorporate the bike with the tent and weigh less than 4lb’s. Not tried one yet but I plan to.

I wouldn’t waste your money.

happyrider
    Free Member

Just seen a review on Wiggle, not the best. Will re-think.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bivvy bag,sleeping bag + self inflating mat for torridon mtb overnighter?’ is closed to new replies.