Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Bivi tonight – will I die?
  • 40mpg

Trying for a bivi-a-month since november, each time I spend a night in discomfort, work out the problem and upgrade.

But each time the conditions get a bit worse, meaning another night of shivvering and looking at the underside of branches.

November – just a chewy bar for breakfast, no way to set yourself up after a cold night for a ride home. FAIL. Bought a little gas stove.

December – cold night in old synthetic bag, no sleep. FAIL. Bought an Alpkit PD800.

January – very cold night, but comfier. However my lightweight airbed gives no therma;l insulation below so frozen assets. FAIL. Bought an Alpkit Thermarest thing (and a titanium folding spork, because, well, just because).

February – just as cold but now damp, possibly snowy. I’ve got my hunka bag, PD800, thermarest and can look forward to coffee and boil-in-the-bag breakfast.

So what will it be this time, frozen squirrels falling on my head?

sefton
    Free Member

not if you have a pair of these http://heatholders.co.uk/uk/index.php

br
    Free Member

Apart from, you are MAD.

Keep your gas canister (and water) warm(ish), otherwise it’ll give poor power tomorrow.

And eat/drink something warm before turning in, plus spare gloves/socks/hat just in case.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hat makes a big difference, layers will help.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Have you got a tarp to keep the rain/snow/wind off? If you find a nice wooded bit of the forest you will be fine.

xcentric
    Free Member

A companion helps both to stay warm and pass the time

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Envious – but will be out in a few weeks.
    How about also doing a few star jumps or whatever to get a bit of circulation going just before turning in?

40mpg

No tarp yet, I’ve got a feling that could be next on the shopping list. TBH i’ve been avoiding a tarp as I like looking at the stars (but not ALL night), and it seems a bit too tent-like with one, i’m trying to keep it all very minimal.

Not in the forest either – probably an exposed hill near Stockbridge / Chilbolton NW of Winchester.

sefton
    Free Member

have you made a will?

s
    Free Member

Have you space for a wood burner in your bivi?

sefton
    Free Member

burn the bivi!

MarkN
    Free Member

Something for breakfast then..

How do you clean and cook a squirrel?

Agree with keeping the gas cannister warm or you will not be cooking much in the morning. If you can keep it off the cold ground when cooking that will help as well.

Mbnut
    Free Member

Sounds like you have it sorted, I always wear a hat and keep my clothes etc in my bag to stop them freezing…. how cold it is doesn’t matter as much as getting out of the wind so careful selection of the spot you bunk on is vital…. having a good fire helps too 😀

40mpg

A companion helps both to stay warm and pass the time

You haven’t met my friends < shudders >

PC111109 by Newforce Photos, on Flickr

AlexSimon

Good for you! In theory I have the gear, but haven’t quite plucked up the courage.
    I know I would choose the woods though.

40mpg

Alex, perhaps a plan like our next:

Cycle to cider festival.
    Wake up in bivi in the woods behind the pub.
    Try to piece together the previous 12 hours.
    Go home.

benslow
    Free Member

Envious !

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Yes you will die! Can I have your bikes (but not the silver dream machine!)?

ps. thanks for posting ‘that’ pic 😉

jameso

A hat is a good tip. Sounds like u have a sorted kit list now. I’d add a tot of something to calm childlike excitement and a book.. I love snow bivis but its dark for a long time )

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

No, you’ll be fine … this was riding back out of the mountains on last years winter bivvy trip. That snow isn’t slushy, it’s frozen solid 😉

http://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk

flatfish
    Free Member

Get one of those hand warmer thingys and if you get too cold, activate it and sandwich it between the top of your thighs(on your Femoral Arteries) and feel the warmth within a couple of minutes. It defrosted my toes a treat whilst in my hammock on the M’nB last month. Stayed hot for the rest of the long January night. 😀

hugor
    Free Member

I don’t understand why you would do it? It can’t be pleasant this time of year. What’s the point?

singlecrack
    Free Member

How are you finding the Alpkit pd800 I’ve still not decided on one of these or the 600 ??
    Also looking at your kit list I think you will be fine.
    What do you wear in your bag ( any extra clothes )

If you can make yourself a little fire it’s great for heat and cheering you up when it’s cold.

Also as flatfish says try a couple of the hand warmers thrown in your bag before you jump in.

See if you can get some natural insulation under your bivi as well ….if your in the forest get some evergreen pine branches to make a kind of mattress……….that will take the edge off.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Hugor … it’s really not as bad as you’d think. It can actually be a really great time of year to be out under the stars (no biting things). I think for many part of the ‘fun’ is thinking of ways to stop it been a long miserable night 😉

mrlebowski
    Free Member

A hat & a bivi bag & youll be fine.

mandog

check in to a B&B

billyboy
    Free Member

Tents are good

billyboy
    Free Member

Once you have a tarp…it is a tent…probably not as good and an all in weight heavier than a tent

iDave
    Free Member

by this time next year you’ll be very dead experienced

ciderinsport
    Free Member

What do you wear in your bag

Now thats a question too far!

hugor
    Free Member

I think for many part of the ‘fun’ is thinking of ways to stop it been a long miserable night

If your out there right now freezing your bollocks off alone on the frozen dirt and staring at the stars then good for you.
    I’m on my couch in my dressing gown, perfectly warm drinking a fine glass of Aussie white wine, and watching tv while browsing STW on the ipad during the advertisments.

flatfish
    Free Member

billyboy – Member
    Once you have a tarp…it is a tent…probably not as good and an all in weight heavier than a tent

My lightest set up of tarp and bivi bag is approx 640grams. I could get it about 200g lighter if I tried, quite easily.

Terra nova’s lightest offering of tent is 581 grams at the cost of £700.

For the 59 grams extra I’m carrying, I’ve saved more than £600.

Just saying like.

wbss
    Free Member

2 weeks ago to the day I went for a night ride on the malverns. there was some goon ‘doing a bivvy’ on top of worcester beacon in the pissing rain. I appreciate the that it makes for a sweet brekko view, but if you’re going to bother do it on a proper sized hill more than 20 mins walk the bloody pub.

pjm84
    Free Member

A story. Norway. Some time ago

First night – Teepee – too hot.
    Second night – 4 man tent – Norg top only no wolly pully. Temp drops to -16 in the tent only because we have a candle (candle watch). Its f**king freezing. Everything freezes. I can’t grab my jumper inside my bergen because my bergen has frozen.

My bivi bag start to go hard. I assume its trying to freeze on the outside. I pull my feet up and have a very restless night’s sleep. My boots, at the bottom of the bivi bag, are frozen in the morning. The temp the next morning was -26 with gusting winds.

The lack of sleep may be the bigger killer…..

wbss
    Free Member

sick guy!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

but if you’re going to bother do it on a proper sized hill more than 20 mins walk the bloody pub.

I don’t understand this.

It doesn’t rally matter how far you are from civilisation does it? You’re doing it for fun at the end of the day, not make some survivalist statement.

FWIW, next weekend I’m bivvying 20 minutes from the nearest pub. I’ll be eating there first too…

flatfish
    Free Member

FWIW, next weekend I’m bivvying 20 minutes from the nearest pub. I’ll be eating there first too…

You didn’t tell me it was that far!!!!!!!!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You’re going to have to work for your supper laddie! 😆

duntstick
    Free Member

Man survived by shelter and fire……………You have neither of these, get a grip, it won’t happen

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Bivi tonight – will I die?’ is closed to new replies.