Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Bite the bullet new (used) car – moving away from BW 5Touring experiences
  • Kryton57

I’m a big fan, and it does everything I need – so much so that I’ve been looking at replacing it with a G31 530d MSport and I just cannot justify the monthly payments for a car that, tourque aside, isn’t going to do much more than what I already have. Its not quick, but its quick enough.

I resemble this remark mainly becuase I took the advice of an old-timer salesman. After I pointed as his 14yo E class he said “I bought myself the car that has all the toys and comfort I need for my job in a daily basis. I have a posh modern car for me and the Mrs at home, this one is the workhorse”. I bought my F31 320d on that basis, have a family Indy nearby for servicing, and are now looking at a Merc GLA/GLC to replace our ageing Kuga for family duties – not in any rush.

I’d love an RS6/C63 but it’s not sensibly justifiable in the slightest.

molgrips
    Free Member

I would definitely look at SUV’s as well.

We’ve done this before – like for like, an SUV will always be worse on fuel because it’s taller, by definition, and hence less aero. And they have less room inside too.

The CLS really is astonishingly massive in the boot area, as well has having big armchair seats in the front and the back, and tons of legroom for both. And it’s got 204bhp and gave me 58mpg on the last M4/A34 trip at 70mph. And it handles really well.

I admit I’m jealous of Doomaniac’s V6 one, but glad I’m not fuelling it currently.

Waderider
    Free Member

The V60 felt a little cramped in comparison to the 5 series, but im not sure if that was just me. the chap at volvo said the V90 was only bigger in boot and ~20mm wider overall??

The V60 is a BMW 3 series size class car. The V90 is bigger in every dimension. I have a D4 that gets 51mpg on a run 48mpg day to day. The engine is powerful enough for me but doesn’t sound good if thrashed. The interior quality is the same to me as a Merc e class – had one for a month a couple of years ago.

chestrockwell

i want my car back tbh

This is the answer, or get a newer version.

doomanic

I dream of getting 58mpg out of mine…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We’ve done this before – like for like, an SUV will always be worse on fuel because it’s taller, by definition, and hence less aero. And they have less room inside too.

I don’t disagree they will use more fuel but the reality is the difference is minimal in real life as I confirmed above.

The cabin space on our X1 is not much less than the E class. The boot space is much less cubic wise, but more practical

singletrackmind

On facebay down here there is a 250cla bluemotion Estate.
    Just shy of £3k.
    Leggy at 197k miles but looks clean and the mot history is not a horror show.
    Its a manual box, on a 60 plate
    Whats the common faults if i go look, still in black death injection seal fsilure zone, or have they fixed this by then.
    Looks well equipped, over my budget but if i twist his arm might get it cheaper

garlando

Can only give my experience
    Didn’t like my 5 series touring, too long, too low.
    Changed for an X3 which has been the best car I’ve owned.
    XL 29 full sus goes in with from wheel off
    Similar load space to 5 but different shape.
    Swapping for model Y when it’s delivered.

molgrips
    Free Member

Whats the common faults

Link to the car?

singletrackmind

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1466525850455227/
    May work, look like the driver door is off colour slightly

singletrackmind

Ignore me
    Its a just a C class Estate.
    Advertising is all wrong. Looks like a nice enough car but not what im after

mjrose
    Free Member

I recently moved from a f11 530d touring to a g30 520d mild hybrid. The f11 was a nice car but did not handle or ride particularly well. The g30 is in a different league in terms of ride and hamdling. I do miss the power of the 3l straight 6 but the easy 60mpg average, 70mpg on a run, and 85mpg of the 2l outweighs that downside. Easily the best all round car I’ve had.

bruk

I’m a bit of a BMW fan. Started with a 320i then 520d and then had a couple of X5, 340i and now in an 18 plate 530d.

Loved the X5 for long journeys. Especially when swapped it onto smaller winter wheels and tyres it was so comfortable. Swallows everything a bit better than the 5 series but just couldn’t justify running an SUV when I don’t need to tow anymore.

Spent a while looking after my 340 got nicked and went through the large medium estates like you. People like the Audi quality interior but they were quite dull imo. Mercedes have gone very bling interiors and I couldn’t consider them on that basis alone. The Idrive system is brilliant along with Apple CarPlay.

Go for non Msport, small wheels and it will be grand. Or maybe look at an X3?

Kryton57

@funkydunc – is your X1 automatic or manual for that mpg?

Go for non Msport, small wheels and it will be grand

Fwiw I have msport on non run flat 18’s and it’s a pretty comfy ride.

Sui
    Free Member

Evening again all.. So if you didn’t read the update on the other thread I’m getting g a derisory payout for total loss, I’ll continue to argue the toss for a bit, but realistically not expected much…

So been looking at what to do. I think I’ve found something I’ll be happy with,.. A Volvo V90 Inscription with all the toys I’d expect and want for auch newer car. It’s on Cinch though… What’s the experience of using them? It’s a late 19 plate with 12k on Clock..

joebristol

Not used Cinch but Cazoo worked well enough for me and they’re a similar thing

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.