Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bikes on Virgin West Coast
  • missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I need to get from Liverpool to London in June, one way, as I’m riding the London to Paris. My return is a flight from CDG.

Obviously I need to take my bike, but have bought a DHB travel case for the return journey. Will Virgin West Coast take a bike in a travel carrier as a piece of luggage, or will I be taking a one way bikeless trip to London? I suppose it isn’t so much as bike as a piece of oversize luggage??

The ride is supported, so the bike case will sit in the support van for the rest of the ride.

sas
    Free Member

National Rail Conditions of Carriage Appendix B:
    http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system/galleries/download/misc/NRCOC.pdf
    has limits on the maximum dimensions of luggage, though I guess if you get a bike reservation and stuff the box in the bike space they won’t care.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Hmmm, from that info it looks like I’d be better taking the bike nude, as the luggage sizes indicate that the bike carrier I’ve got will be too big to travel. Then I have the problem of getting the bike back safely from CDG though.

rabyoung
    Free Member

We used Virgin to get from Edinbugh to Carlisle for the start of the C2C. Wheeled the bikes (3) on, the guard couldn’t have been more helpful. Same on the way back from York with what was East Coast trains.

BigJohn

I have a mate who often travels to our house in Stafford from Euston on the Virgin Train. Tends to come up on Friday evening and go back Monday morning and has never had a problem.

BlobOnAStick

If you book it, it will be fine.

If you don’t, expect to be refused access to the train with it (although the Train Manager may use his discretion and allow you on, I wouldn’t count on it just incase – the TM may know that other bikes are due to join further along in the journey etc.)

It’s best to give Virgin Customer services a ring directly to book it or book it at the same time as you buy a ticket at the station. It shouldn’t cost any extra than your ticket.

Bike booking number: 08719 774 222

EDIT: To be honest, I’d book it as a bike, bagged or not.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bikes on Virgin West Coast’ is closed to new replies.