Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)
  • Bikeradar comes out….
  • druidh
    Free Member

Because he is “famous” and he has invested in the company…

Cuddly Gary Lineker. Who can’t like him?

ojom
    Free Member

Actually i was referring to the Specialized sponsored 29r vids that were peculiar.

sparksmcguff

As rogerthecat pointed out above, Ingenie benefit financially as once you have a compulsory test you also have registration, and once you have registration you have an opportunity to compel insurance. And who sells insurance? Gary “Walkers” Lineker (through Ingenie). So BikeRadar/Future media are promoting compulsory insurance for cyclists?

cooie

Cuddly Gary Lineker. Who can’t like him?

A lot of cyclists now 😀

br
    Free Member

over a genration or two we’d end up with all afults having received cycle training and testing before they took to the road just because they’d been through the education system?

As per my generation – we all (at least where I lived, West Riding) did it, at middle school, but maybe ‘cos I lived in a flat ‘cycling’ town.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I grew up in the yorkshire dales, not flat cycling area as such. All of our primary school year did cycling proficiency, they drew roads in the school playground. We loved it, it was an hour playing on our bikes.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Found the forum thread eventually, (and I thought this forum could get confusing)

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12873728&hilit=lineker

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    Apparently, you are all “uncompromising extremists” if you’re not in favour of this campaign.

That sounds a familiar line of argument….

😉

Northwind

The thing is, it’s not about being anti-training. Cyclist training is a great idea, so many riders genuinely are rubbish. School training is good, adult training is good. Barriers to exercise are not good, barriers to cheap transport are not good.

druidh
    Free Member

What other products does Gary Lineker promote? I wonder how those companies might view his stance and the risk of alienating a large number of cyclists 🙂

jam-bo

good job i’ve got this then

tomhoward

😆

I’m 3 1/2 months older than that certificate….

chakaping
    Free Member

What other products does Gary Lineker promote? I wonder how those companies might view his stance and the risk of alienating a large number of cyclists

Walkers Crisps are clearly going to be on the side of the pedestrians in this debate.

MrAgreeable

The promoters of this, Ingenie, have quite an interesting business model:

http://www.ingenie.com/how-it-works

? A telematics box is fitted in the car and assesses your driving style
    ? Receive regular feedback on how you’re driving – either via the ingenie app or online
    ? There are no time curfews or mileage limitations
    ? ingenie is not a speeding camera in disguise – find out how we use your data
    ? We assess trends and patterns in your driving style rather than look at isolated incidents
    ? The cost of your insurance is reviewed every three months with a discount applied to the best and most improved drivers in the community

Which has interesting echoes of the Hundred Car Study that was carried out in the US a few years back:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/facts-research/research-technology/tech/100-car-naturalistic.htm

One of the conclusions of this study was that even when people know their driving is being monitored, they still drive like idiots.

winston
    Free Member

I don’t think national curriculum based childrens training scheme followed by a mandatory cycling version of the CBT at 18 or over would be a bad thing – we have all seen novice cyclist’s putting themselves in danger

This would have to hand in hand with automatic ‘at fault’ presumption on the part of the motorist and of course proper cycle lane management

what a utopia that would be

BUT

These days the insurance companies rule the world and as with pet insurance, gap insurance etc etc we know that it would be a short step to private medical insurance refusing to pay out for un-insured cyclists, cyclists not wearing helmets etc. Problem is this will probably come in anyway now we are firmly in the spotlight

druidh
    Free Member

So – “Share the Roads” – 1/3 for motorised vehicles, 1/3 for bikes and 1/3 for pedestrians?

brooess
    Free Member

Cycling would be safer if
    a) drivers drove more carefully, thoughtfully and more skillfully (too many incidents to recall…)
    b) cyclists rode more carefully, thoughtfully and more skillfully (too many RLJers, too much not looking before moving; at Hyde Park corner this morning, a couple of cyclists appeared to have managed to have a collision all on their own, no cars involved!)

and in London Village at least
    c) pedestrians just looked before they stepped out into the road!

I do think cycling training would help ensure less experienced cyclists understood their vulnerability and the generally poor standard of driving they’re going to have to cope with, and rode accordingly

ojom
    Free Member

So – “Share the Roads” – 1/3 for motorised vehicles, 1/3 for bikes and 1/3 for pedestrians?

.25 each. You forgot horseys.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Won’t somebody think of the Segway riders?

😉

munkster
    Free Member

Bikeradar front page article about all this has mysteriously disappeared in the last minute…

unklehomered
    Free Member

They’ve pulled the article… doh too slow.

But yeah, all gone, having garnered universally negative feedback from anyone not called Gary Lineker or Alan Sugar

unklehomered
    Free Member

No. I have to comply with the law of gravity while these bloody segway riders flout it at every oportunity. Are do they take any test before balancing like balancing crazy things? NO!!!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Bike Radar has only just posted its own announcement of this, has pulled the article 10 minutes later.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Are we now endorsing using modes of transport that are not legally allowed on the Queen’s highways?

Shame on you! It could have been a child’s face.

Mike_D
    Free Member

Posted 3:37pm Tuesday 21 August, so it was up for nearly 24 hours.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Mike_D: strange because I went looking for BR’s article this morning and there wasn’t one, only saw it go up this afternoon. Could have been a pre-published date, i.e. it was drafted last night?

Mike_D
    Free Member

Bikebiz article referred to it mid-morning, was definitely there around 10am.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Fair doos!

z1ppy

Google cache of the article
    (care of BR member cookdn)

brakes
    Free Member

Yes! My sarcastic comments have been preserved by Google Cache.

druidh
    Free Member

How long before we get the grovelling “we think it was right to post because it has raised awareness of the issues” type response?

Sandwich

Jam bo I have one of those, it’s about 10 years older!

z1ppy

I’m tempted to try and see if mine is in my childhood scrap book
    (which is in the box under my monitor… hmm)

PS: Has the Gary lineker deleted his “Only the uncompromising extremist ones” tweet?
    (I don’t follow any twitter account but went looking for it after the future publishing retraction)

Like the updated ‘controversy’ Wiki entry…
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_plc

as no doubt it’ll be deleted:

Controversy

On 22nd August 2012 the Future PLC title BikeRadar launched a campaign in co-operation with car insurance firm Ingenie, promoting a concept marketed with the Twitter hashtag #ShareTheRoadUK.[8] The campaign espoused several principles of road sharing. The campaign’s homepage stated:[9]
    We have written an open letter to the Transport Secretary Justine Greening MP proposing the following:
    Mandatory cycle safety should be included in the national curriculum for both primary and secondary schools to help promote co-operation and tolerance between the motorists and cyclists of the future.
    Mandatory cycle safety elements should be included in the driving theory and practical test.
    Compulsory training and testing for cyclists before they take to the road.
    Ingenie investor Gary Lineker is an ‘ambassador’ for the campaign. His response the the Twitter question “you do realise that #ShareTheRoadUK is getting panned left, right and centre by cyclists?” was “Only the uncompromising extremist ones”. Along with many Twitter users, UK cycling organisations and campaigners voiced their objection to the campaign,[citation needed] including the Cycling Embassy of Great Britain[10]
    At 2pm the same day (22 august 2012) Bikeradar removed the article endorsing the campaign from its website.[citation needed]

MrAgreeable

Well, it’s nice that cyclists seem to be able to get what they want on Twitter, anyway. Now what about the real world?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I still have mine and photo proof of the award ceremony

mikeconnor
    Free Member

That Ingenie diagram is so flawed as a piece of information, it shouldn’t really be used to promote their campaign. It’s little more than a piece of marketing fluff designed to promote their commercial enterprise really.

It’s sad that companies like this are jumping on the cycling popularity bandwagon simply to make money. I see very little in their proposals that actually speak of real, tangible workable solutions.

Mike_D
    Free Member

Lineker’s tweet shows up here:

But not on his feed here:

GaryLake
    Free Member

Twitter filters out replies by default, you need this link: https://twitter.com/GaryLineker/with_replies

He only responds to the particularly angry or shouty ones. Throw a logical counter argument and he ignores you.

davidjey
    Free Member

I’d love a copy of the survey data + how the demographic was chosen and the original questions asked to see how much of that Ingenie diagram is number-bending-BS. How do FoI requests work anyway….?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Bikeradar comes out….’ is closed to new replies.