Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bikepacking – What Do I Need?
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about trying a couple of trips and need to figure out what kit I need. I’ve not camped in years so I’ve got pretty much no kit to take.

I’ve obviously got the bike and I can borrow a tail pack, bar bag and frame bag. I’ve also got a Jetboil somewhere as well.

What else do I need?

The first trip is nothing too heavy. Part of the Ridgeway then Icknield Way up to Cambridge. Probably a couple of 50-60 mile days and planning on sleeping somewhere around Ivinghoe Beacon. I’ll be going near the end of June so hopefully weather wont be an issue.

scotroutes

Mat to sleep on. Insulated by preference.

Sleeping bag.

Bivvy bag and possibly tarp. Or tent.

Something to carry it in.

Not much more needed really, you can eat/drink without a cooker, especially if you take advantage of pubs and cafes. A torch is handy. I like to take a warm jacket to slip into when I’ve stopped riding but this is very much personal choice. A small trowel for burying your shit.

I’d recommend one or two much smaller trips to find out what works for you and to fine-tune your packing and camp craft.

Houns

A bike 😋

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Get yourself over here , for all your info

https://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/

steezysix
    Free Member

A plucky, “can do” attitude always helps.

When you get back, sort your kit into what you did and didn’t use and use that (maybe make a list), along with anything you felt you were missing to refine your kit choices the next time.

survivor

Here my list to get you going. I’ve only done two trips so far so am no expert.

Utility Belt: ( cooler name than a bum bag 😂)
    Water xx
    Food xx
    Keys

Frame bag:
    Tools: xx
    Tube xx
    Pump xx
    Bottle xx
    Rain jacket xx
    First aid + tick removers xx
    Food xx

Bar bag:
    Sleeping bag xx
    Thermals xx
    Hat
    Duds xx
    Socks xx
    Midge net xx
    Cord xx

Roo pouch:
    Light xx
    Bin bags xx
    Wipes xx
    Foil blanket xx
    Tooth brush xx

Top tube bag:
    Phone
    Power bank xx
    Crack pipe + juice

Right fork bag:
    Mat xx

Left fork bag:
    Tarp xx

survivor

Oh and before any of you snitches get the law on me, the crack pipe is an ecig😀

Also I do not subscribe to the hardcore bike packers rule of “if your warm and comfy you’ve brought too much kit”. Very much the opposite infact as I’m soft.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m currently sitting at work watching the GCN bikepacking videos with Josh Ibbett and browsing the Alpkit website for ideas.

I’m currently thinking that I might get away with a mat, sleeping bag and bivvy bag as the weather should be ok. Not going to worry about a tent for the time being.

For food I’ll probably make use of pubs/cafes as suggested to make things easier.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Basically, just go mental on your first yin, take far too much stuff.

On your second trip, take half as much.

On you 3rd trip, throw away some more.

Then start upgrading if you continue doing it.

Just take what you’ve already got/think you need.

Buy some thick bungee straps, to fire stuff on the bike(thick poly bags will do for water proofing), bungee will attach anything to anything really, but most like handle bars, top tube and seat railings..

Then while you are out, put all the stuff you didn’t in the one bag/couple of bags, and never take it out again. repeat.

It’s a learning process. Juts batter in is basically my advice, do some 1 nighters to begin with.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Think you’ve got everything covered above. However if you are looking for a campsite I can thoroughly recommend Town Farm at the bottom of ivinghoe beacon.

niksnr
    Free Member

Defo +1 for wipes and sandwich bags (don’t ask!). Also spare socks for sleeping in, can’t stress importance of having dry/warm feet after a day in the rain. Lightweight leggings (ron hill et al) and a lightweight hat/skullcap. You may not need either but I’d rather be with them and not use than without them wishing I was warmer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bikepacking – What Do I Need?’ is closed to new replies.