Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Bikepacking – do’s and don’ts for a clueless bunch :-)
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Heat, light, cooking and fun. Would be the 4 primary factors.

whitestone
    Free Member

What’s with the lighting fires nonsense?

FTFY

Nothing says “I’m a prat and want to mess things up for everyone else” quite like a fire. For a good (err bad) example look at the Loch Lomond wild camping ban.

jameso

Heat – maybe in a survival situation, otherwise that’s what your clothes and bag are for. Cooking – gas or meths stoves. Light – LEDs are fine. Fun is the only reason most people do it, it’s a nice thing to sit by a fire. But off land where you have the owner’s permission it fails on the rule #1 and LNT aspects.

seosamh77
    Free Member

sounds like youse need to watch some ray mears videos. 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

whitestone

What’s with the lighting fires nonsense?

FTFY

Nothing says “I’m a prat and want to mess things up for everyone else” quite like a fire. For a good (err bad) example look at the Loch Lomond wild camping ban.

and nothing says “I’m a dour face **** and I’m having a shite night” better than a tent with no fire! 😆

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

*pulls up folding camp chair*

Smores anyone?

kcal

scotroutes says..

mostly, I’ve got lighter and more compact

yeah, same 🙂 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

whitestone
    For a good (err bad) example look at the Loch Lomond wild camping ban.

The loch lomond and trossachs ban was because of numbers and it being too easy to access.

whitestone
    Free Member

Actually it was because of lack of respect (didn’t help that one of the “popular” camping spots was near the home of the Park’s chief officer or whatever their title is), you could have a thousand people wild camping without anyone knowing if they were following LNT.

I don’t need to bring out my inner caveman to enjoy myself.

seosamh77
    Free Member

That’s fine but me starting a fire is perfectly valid and nothing to do with a lack of respect. I’ve never camped in any of the LL areas, probably never will. So don’t blame me.

k1100t
    Free Member

LNT…?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The loch lomond and trossachs ban was because of numbers and it being too easy to access.

The problem with rule 1 is it doesn’t adequately define being a dick.

I agree that in isolation that having a fire (or a poo) does no great harm if done in a responsible manner off the beaten track. But a better definition of being a dick is “what would the impact be if everyone did this”? and in the case of both having a poo (and not burring it) or a fire both are definitely a bad thing.

A friend who’s a Warden for the NT is now convinced that every incidence of fire on their land is “mountainbikers”. It’s probably not, but a minority have very definitely spoilt it for everyone else.

LNT…?

Leave No Trace

natrix
    Free Member

For your first time, if there’s 8 interested get everybody to commit to going with the proviso that anybody who drops/wimps out brings breakfast to all the others who actualy slept out!! Means you don’t have to carry a stove and breakfast things…………….

jimdubleyou

Don’t, whatever you do, take a Mountain House dehydrated Chilli con Carne for dinner and expect it not to taste like warm vomit.

trail_rat
    Free Member

That’s fine but me starting a fire is perfectly valid and nothing to do with a lack of respect.

Your I’m ok jack attitude and lack of ability to see the big picture is at least consistant.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That’s fine but me starting a fire is perfectly valid and nothing to do with a lack of respect.

Ermmmmmm…….

What is it called when you do whatever you like and don’t give two hoots to the consequences for others then?

seosamh77
    Free Member

It’s not really my fault if youse don’t know how to cover up a fire or put it in places where nature will do it for you..

Carry on freezing your arses off. 😆

This no fire is any circumstances attitude is silly, but crack on, guess it might be best to stick to it, given the obvious lack of skills…

jameso

sounds like youse need to watch some ray mears videos.

If this bunch want to have a fire, fair to say learning what to do is the thing rather than a simple ‘don’t’ so if that’s what you’re into just learn the methods and use sense when picking a spot. If you’re not by a river etc it can’t be easy to carry enough water on a bike to cook, have a brew and then clear up properly anyway. Not impossible but it becomes more faff than most will bother with.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Bikepacking – do’s and don’ts for a clueless bunch :-)’ is closed to new replies.