Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bikehut lights, any good for helmet?
  • sam1988
    Free Member

Going to get one of these 1600l lights from halfords at the weekend for the bars after reading the thread on here. I’m guessing it’s a little on the big side for use on a helmet? They also do a 1000 and a 500 lumen version, anyone using these at a helmet light?

joebristol

The 1600 would definitely be chunky on a helmet but it’s good on the bars.

I run mine with a Moon Meteor Vortex Pro on my helmet using a gopro mount. Works perfectly and not too heavy / battery life seems good.

Ewan
    Free Member

Seconded. I would not want the 1600 on my head.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just got the 1600/500 combo, with the 500 for my head.

Their helmet clamp is the best one I’ve used because it’s not velcro but clips, and it allows placement right on the top of my particular lid. It is heavier than what I’m used to (separate battery lights) but it’s very well balanced so no more annoying.

Beam is fairly spotty but graduated so works very well as a lid light. I wouldn’t use the 1600 on there though but I don’t think there’s a need.

I always go for less light in the lid because personally my brain seems to rely on the shadows created by the bar light to pick out shapes on the ground quickly, and if the lid light is too bright it removed them and I can’t process trail features properly. But this may vary between individuals.

w00dster

I’m probably going to go down this set up as well.
    Whats the battery life on the head mounted 500? I presume once its on, its just left alone. Would be looking at getting two hours out of it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Having to cycle to work this morning, for the first time in ages after forgetting until last minute that the car was going in for new brakes, I could only find a bar mount for my lights.

Forgot just how shite it is not having a helmet light, even if only on a commute! 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Blimey, I never use a helmet light on road.

Whats the battery life on the head mounted 500?

Quoted as (from memory)

2h on 500
    3h on 300
    5h on whatever the lower one is, 140?

The second setting goes well with the main one on 1000 or 640 (2 and 5 hours respectively) so it’s fine for me. I always turn it off on road, I don’t want to be dazzling drivers when I look around, so it’s quite a long ride for me that would have 3h of purely off-road in it, and not likely to do that at night.

sam1988
    Free Member

Thanks for the Input molgrips, do you find the 500 to be enough light on a helmet? I’m stuck between 500 and 1000. Granted the night rides I do are only xc stuff so probably don’t need mega bright

joebristol

500 lumens should be plenty on a helmet if you have 1600 on the bars.

molgrips
    Free Member

do you find the 500 to be enough light on a helmet?

Yes, tons. I run it on the second and third settings most of the time, I don’t put it on 500.

The beam patterns for both are fairly intense spot but with a wide flood at lower intensity. They really do saturate the trails really well. With both lights on there is just light everywhere and even more where you are looking. 1600 + 500 is really too bright – any near objects like trees or bushes just dazzle you.

I think the 1000 would be too heavy.

sam1988
    Free Member

500 it is, thanks again molgrips

marcg868
    Free Member

Does the 500 light come with a helmet mount? Looking for a helmet light to compliment my Exposure light on my bars.

pedlad

I’m running the 1600 on my lid as a temporary solution. It’s a bit heavey but Not finding it unreasonable. I did find the helmet mount secure but you end up with a lot of extra height and I caught branches a couple of times so last night I ran it with the bar mount rubbers. It was slightly off center on the lid to fit with a vent but much lower profile and secure. HTH.

molgrips
    Free Member

Does the 500 light come with a helmet mount? Looking for a helmet light to compliment my Exposure light on my bars.

Nope, but it’s only a fiver. The 500 does however come with the out in front light/Garmin mount. See the other thread for a mod to improve its stability.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bikehut lights, any good for helmet?’ is closed to new replies.