Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Bike upright in estate
  • ebennett

Currently have a Focus which I can get my bike frame in upright (upside down with a bit of maneuvering). However, when we go away and have cases and stuff in the back as well it gets a bit cramped, so I’m looking to get an estate.

Went and had a look at some today, but surprisingly the height with the seats folded down in the ones I saw is less than the focus – ~75-77 cm vs 80 cm. My bike fits with about 3 or 4 cm to spare in the Focus and needs about 76 cm from bars to the bottom of the fork.

I’m therefore a bit concerned that it wouldn’t fit upright in any of the estates I’m looking at (3-series or Mazda 6*), or that it would basically be scraping the ceiling. Will possibly take along my frame if I book a test drive, but can anyone with one of them allay my fears?

*Definitely don’t want the STW gold standard of a Skoda, though I’m sure it’ll be suggested anyway!

jimw
    Free Member

how about a VW Touran? If you only use four seats for people, then you can take one out and put the bike in. They have a very deep boot. Has the advantage that it has a very similar footprint to a Focus or Golf so easy to live with everyday.

If the modern 3series is anything like the one I had, it will have less space than the Focus Hatch

ebennett

Has to be something I think is attractive* so the Touran and any other boxy cars are out. Am wondering if I’d be better off getting a saloon if I can’t get the frame in upright as they’re generally cheaper and better looking!

*I’m sure some people will find my choices fugly! 😀

jimw
    Free Member

The trouble will be anything with a sleeker shape won’t have any space in it.
    Car aesthetics are so personal. For example I prefer the Ferrari 250SWB to the GTO, I also really liked the series 1 Fiat Multipla but found the Audi TT a bit dumpy….

breadcrumb

Why upright?

I’ve got a 3 series touring, it certainly wouldn’t take a bike upright.

If upright is important I’d go for a people carrier.

DickBarton

Berlingo Multispace XTR or Peugeot Partner Tepee Outdoor…same car but that model allows individual rear seats to be removed completely.

I’ve got 2 bikes in with a tight squeeze for a small 3Rd bike…all fully built. The small for me is a Frog 62, so has length but isn’t tall.

ebennett

Why upright?

I guess just because that’s the way I’ve always done it in the current car if we’re going away and needing to take suitcases etc to maximise space. If its just me on a normal biking trip i’ll just stick it in on its side.

Don’t like putting the bike on top of cases and certainly don’t want to put cases on top of it, but I guess it might be less of an issue in something with a longer space in the back as it probably wouldn’t need to be angled as much as it is in the current car.

DickBarton

Any reason the bike doesn’t go outside the vehicle?

ebennett

Any reason the bike doesn’t go outside the vehicle?

Keep it wheels off in the house for storage so always seemed more sensible just to stick it in the back and build it up when I get to the trails. Suppose I could just get a roof rack but as I wouldn’t use it for 90% of the bike trips when it’s just me I’d have to find somewhere to store that as well.

Also, aesthetics 😀

anagallis_arvensis

Also, aesthetics

Maybe try growing up?

ThePinkster

Boot rack would be less hassle than a roof rack, and more energy efficient too.

Something like the Saris Bones will fold up small for storage too.

Bruce

We have a Focus estate and we get two bikes upright in the back but only by removing the front wheel and seat post from both bikes. If I have a dropper post in the bike I can just drop it and it fits. We use a fork clamp thingy and straps to secure the bikes. The Citroen C5 estate we had was the the same. The Renualt Scenic we had previously we only had to remove the front wheel.

DickBarton

Leave the rack on…for biking function over form for ease and more biking time every time. Stick a roof rack on and leave it and it is hassle free.

Forgot to say, my previous post is 3 seats, 3 bikes and space for kit for a weekend of biking inside the car.

A car is completely 100% just a tool to get the passengers from A to B without making their feet hurt…

zippykona

Grand cmax with middle seat folded
    away. Still room for 2 people in the back and 2 large suitcases.

cp

Travel-adjust forks work well for getting in cars vertically 🙂

I now just leave the roof carriers on the car all the time. Much less hassle and insignificant noise/effect on fuel consumption on my car.

breadcrumb

How many passengers?

If it’s just two of you a big estate might work out.

I had two mountain bikes in the boot of my old Accord with the cover over. Luggage on the rear seats.

I’ve gone for roof mounted carrier with my 3 series though. Takes a few minutes to fit/remove the bars from the rails.

MrOvershoot

I would say a 3 series tourer is small compared to a Mazda6 estate?

TBH its more a case of how tall are you as at 6’3″ my bikes are XL so even dropping the seatpost won’t help as the bars will still be to high

ebennett

Maybe try growing up?

Was not aware that not liking the way roof racks look was immature, thanks, I shall of course immediately change my views 🙄

How many passengers?

Usually zero, when we do go away it’s generally just me and the girlfriend and 1 bike so it’ll all fit one way or another in a small estate. Guess I’ll just take the frame along to the test drive and see how the salesman react when I ask if I can stick it in the back 😆

renton
    Free Member

I’ve had plenty of estates including a Mazda 6 Mondeo and the current stw Octavia. There is no way I could get my bikes upright in any of them.

ebennett

I would say a 3 series tourer is small compared to a Mazda6 estate?

Yeah, it is small compared to the 6 – possibly more my size though as never had anything bigger than a focus before!

TBH its more a case of how tall are you as at 6’3″ my bikes are XL so even dropping the seatpost won’t help as the bars will still be to high

I’m 5’7″ so medium, think I’ve just got the idea into my head that I ‘should’ be able to get it in upright based on the current car. Having to readjust my thinking somewhat based on the measurements today!

MrOvershoot

ebennett – Member
    I’m 5’7″ so medium

Daffy

Wheels off and a dropper post allows for two bikes to go in upright in a 3 series and still allows for 3 passengers.

ebennett

Thanks Daffy, very helpful!

What’s Jimmy Hill about?

zippykona

Chin rub.

ebennett

Ah, suggesting the idea of me being a medium if I’m 5’7″ is ridiculous. I see.

I meant the bike was a medium, I’m well aware I’m short thanks 😆

renton
    Free Member

Large 650b giant trance would not go in my Mondeo or Mazda 6 upright with the wheels off. Handlebars are to high.

MrOvershoot

ebennett – Member

Ah, suggesting the idea of me being a medium if I’m 5’7″ is ridiculous. I see.

I meant the bike was a medium, I’m well aware I’m short thanks

Sorry showing my age there “Jimmy Hill = Chinny reckon”

5’7″ you is shortarse
    6’3″ me is lanky git

Like Renton said the limiting factor is the handlebar height.

timber

Had a Volvo V50 for a while which was quite efficient with its space, but too much compromise in other aspects for me so it went.
    This was also pre 650b long and slack for me, although can just about achieve what you want in an old Octavia with a large Patrol with little respect for the interior. 26″ hardtail goes in easily as you want. Tandem has to go in diagonally, but still upright.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

I have a Focus estate (’58 if model matters).

I can get 3 bikes (front wheels off and seatposts dropped or out) in the back with the rear seat split. Still allows room for 3 adults – though the one in the back may feel a little ‘encroached’ and ceiling scraping is part of the deal

If your forks are bigger than 150mm you may hit (height) trouble. And you’ll need some old blankets or towels – or accept scratched bikes.

Mondeo estate is cavernous though I doubt it has much more height

Alphabet

I can just get my medium sized 150mm travel bike with dropper post upside down in the back of my Astra estate. Although I think some of the sleeker estates look nicer I doubt it would fit.

Have you thought about an SUV type car as they tend to have way more height in the boot? I had a Honda crv and although the boot wasn’t any longer than an estate it had way more height.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Have you thought about an SUV type car as they tend to have way more height in the boot?

LOL not the ones I have found, 150mm x 26@ might just squeeze in some bit most Ive had as hire cars are worse despite their looks. Trying a Rav 4 next week and I think that might manage. As for why upright? its much neater and easier to pack them that way. Why inside? Theft, weather, salt corrosion, damage for starters.

ebennett

Have you thought about an SUV type car as they tend to have way more height in the boot?

Not a fan of them I’m afraid.

The equation for me is:

More boot space than focus and will take bike inside
    +
    Nice to look at (to me)
    +
    Faster than the focus (1.6 and takes an age to overtake)
    +
    Decent handling

Which for me rules out MPVS and SUVs 😀

Jakester
    Free Member

What you want doesn’t exist. You want a premium good looking fast estate, with room for a bike to go upright I.e. greater upright space. The two are mutually exclusive these days. You’ll have to compromise somewhere.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Tie/strap the forks down in a slightly compressed state? Should be easy to lose 2-3″ of height.

RustyNissanPrairie

A vintage Nissan Prairie is what you need especially for the style element……

DickBarton

Overtaking will come down to power (and torque) of the engine, so not a massive thing to ‘fix’, but it will make the choice potentially more expensive as you may require a more powerful engine.

curto80
    Free Member

Van!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I now just leave the roof carriers on the car all the time. Much less hassle and insignificant noise/effect on fuel consumption on my car.

If i was a local scrote, you’d be easy pickings. Nice big advert on top of your car, parked outside your house.

jimjam
    Free Member

B.A.Nana

If i was a local scrote, you’d be easy pickings. Nice big advert on top of your car, parked outside your house.

Advertising what exactly? That someone in the house owns some kinds of bike? It could be a £50 BSO.

Anyway, the truth is estates are better looking than saloons and estates with roof bars look better still.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Bike upright in estate’ is closed to new replies.