• This topic has 29 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by kcr.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Bike storage recommendations
  • jaymcjayface
    Free Member

My bikes are currently just leaning up against the walls in my garage which takes up a lot of space and means they are pretty much always in the way.

I think my best option is to put all the bikes on one of the walls. At the top of my list at the moment is the ‘Steadyrack’.

It seems an ideal way to get the bikes on the wall without damaging any part of the bikes and they allow you to swivel them should you need.

I can get the 4 racks I need for around £200 from the likes of Merlin, Wiggle etc.

I’m just wondering if anybody has any other ideas that I may have missed?

The only real criteria is that the racks must not damage/rub the bike and also accommodate tyres from 2.6 to 4.8.

tomhoward

I use steadyracks, they’re great.

richardkennerley

I’ve got a couple of bikes mounted using similar kits to these. Pretty sure you can get cheaper than this. They’re dead secure and the bikes take up less room than mounting them wheel up against the wall. Plus you can slot them in like shown and get a few bikes in the foot print of one.

https://www.wandershine.com/products/bicycle-rack-wall-metal-hook-bicycle-mountain/

phil5556

If you’ve got enough space and don’t need the folding of the steady rack then these work well https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJOSWMBH/jobsworth-steel-wall-mounted-bike-hanger-(folding-hook)

You can push the bikes to the side to help load/unload them.

prettygreenparrot

I bought a Hornit after seeing it on here.
    Worked so well I bought 3 more for the other bikes.
    Easy to install. Easy to use. And keeps the bikes upright and more out of the way than otherwise.
    Sadly this ‘out of the way’ means that my SO fills the access space with gardening equipment 😩

CLUG PRO

jaymcjayface
    Free Member

The Clug was at the top of my list at one point. It lost a couple of points though because it looks to me (maybe you can confirm or deny this) as though the clamp on a Clug touches the rim of the wheel!? I have images in my head of all the front wheels having little ‘Clug’ marks around them.

Also, i tend to use one bike for several weeks before deciding to use another which means the bikes could be hanging for a while. Due to my half-arsed-ness, all my tubeless tyres lose a bit of pressure over time which, I believe, could result in a bike crashing to the floor? Presumably though, the Clug Pro prevents this with the Fidlock gubbins.

The price is certainly a bit of a plus point though.

qwerty
    Free Member

This looks great, not cheap though, £300 for four bikes:

https://www.stashedproducts.co.uk/products/bike-storage-ceiling-mounted-kit?variant=40427206246597

We had a Steadyrack at work but it was useless for any regular commuter using mudguards. Not really a reflection of the rack, more the purchaser.

commencaltr29rider
    Free Member

We had the clugs in my old house. More than once we were woken up in the night by the sounds of multiple bikes crashing to the floor, as one clug let go and caused a chain reaction down the line. Not good!

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

@ phil5556 Full Member

Did you modify those brackets to take the fat bike wheels ?

Cheers

tall_martin

I was given a rail for hanging bikes for Christmas it has 5 on currently.

I have two on the on one hooks.

If I was starting again, I’d just use the hooks. A lot cheaper and more flexible in height. Eg one bike low one high.

phil5556

Did you modify those brackets to take the fat bike wheels ?

Yes slightly, I just had to bend the hook into a slightly straighter shape. I think I just used a metal bar slid over the end and levered it out.

SirHC

Steady racks here, they are a bit of an investment, but very well made and keeps the bike close but away from each other.

rossburton
    Free Member

I’ve got https://gearhooks.com in our garage to hold up four bikes and associated kit. The owner has said that the hooks as provided take up to 3″ tyres but as they’re just steel you can widen them in a vice to fit properly fat tyres.

IHN

+1 for those Planet-X hooks.

fossy

Another that uses the PX Hooks.

a11y

Steadyrack user here and find them great. The swivel aspect is useful when you’ve got them spaced closely together. If I had more space to work with I’d just have gone with the Planet X hooks and saved a fortune.

We had a Steadyrack at work but it was useless for any regular commuter using mudguards. Not really a reflection of the rack, more the purchaser.

Yes – they do a specific variant of their rack that also fits full length guards – I’ve got one for hanging a commuter. All other racks I have are the MTB version.

tonyd

I look at all of these storage solutions and get all excited, then I remember that my problem is I need a bigger garage 😥

davespike1981

You don’t need a bigger garage, i just put 4 of the PX folding hooks up on the dining room wall and stopped eating in there

allyharp

For those using PlanetX hooks, how much space have you used between them? Are there any benefits to alternating them at different heights or anything like that?

I’ve got 5 I’ve been meaning to mount for 6 months. Will obviously have a go at testing out the positioning as I fit them, but a starting position would be useful.

phil5556

Are there any benefits to alternating them at different heights or anything like that?

Yes it keeps the bars away from each other. If you look at my pic up there ☝️ my full suss is just out of shot to the left, you can see the bars higher up than the bars on my wife’s blue Whyte. And the rest alternate too.

militantmandy
    Free Member

Steady racks are great. The fact you can fold the bikes into each other is super useful. They are also very easy to get bikes in and out of.

DrJ

I’ve been looking at these solutions and went as far as buying a Jobsworth before deciding that I don’t want to drill the walls in the hallway where it would be, so I bought one of these (off Amazon) –

Bike Nook – 1 Unit (N2)

quite pricey for what it is, but it does the job.

jaymcjayface
    Free Member

Thanks everybody for your suggestions/ideas.

I think I’m going to stump up for some Steadyracks. They seem to fit the bill for me.

Jordan

I used these. which do the same thing but cheaper. These do the same thing and look maybe a bit stronger than the ones I used.

finbar
    Free Member

Holy thread revival.

I’ve just put up some of those Planet X hooks (albeit from eBay as Planet X have sold out).

I’m struggling to fit my 2.6″ tyre in. @phil5556, did you bend the hooks on yours to get those fat bike tyes in? Can you explain the process please?

phil5556

I think I might have cut the ends for one of the fat bike holders as the wheel wouldn’t fit but bending them a bit worked well for the other and for my 2.6″ tyres (not in the pic).

I used a bit of copper tube slid over the end of the hook and just pulled it out a bit, shouldn’t need much. Take the rubber off first, tweak to shape and put the rubber back on 👍

finbar
    Free Member

Cheers @phil5556, I envisaged having to take the buggers off the wall again, but that sounds doable while they’re still up.

Fat-boy-fat

Has anyone used the stashed products thing? I need to free up space in my garage as fitting solar pv batteries and they look a bit more flexible than the steady rack option.

DickBarton

I really like the Steadyracks, but they are pricey…which I don’t own, but if I had the cash, then I probably would.

kcr
    Free Member

If you don’t mind a bit of DIY, you can rig up a nice track system using sliding door gear. There are several examples on here if you search old threads. I’ve just been refitting my garage using this stuff:

https://www.fhbrundle.co.uk/sliding-door-gear/max-door-weight-60kg-ibfm

The track can be drilled and screwed directly to joists. I’ve just bolted a small piece of ply to each of the rolling trolleys and screwed conventional bike hooks (Decathlon or the red plastic coated ones) into the wood to hang the bikes.

Big space savings from being able to pack the bikes efficiently, and easier to change things around than with fixed hooks.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.