Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 143 total)
  • Bike Security – why bother?!?
  • anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Well maybe it wasn’t the points you were making, I couldn’t find much coherance in what you’ve said at all really.

i fail to see how me pointing out how thieves operate and how people are being targetted is unhelpful.

I don’t think you’ve acheieved that really.

or do you have a story that may be of use to readers of the forum that may highlight something that they have not of thought of?

That didn’t really come across very cleanly either. You got awfully angsty with people that refused awfully quickly too.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I suppose you drive round with your bike on your roof in complete oblivion to what may happan – or do you have a story that may be of use to readers of the forum that may highlight something that they have not of thought of?

I have theft stories and security tips which I share with biking friends to help them prevent any future problems and I used to reveal these tips on this forum, I’ve stopped as I realised (and has been stated above) it’s giving away aspects of your own security arrangements whch is a dangerous thing to do on a public forum.

Surely you see the point I’m trying to make?

shoefiti
    Free Member

No not really – unless the readers of the forum know where you live – which i suppose they could find out – in whch case good point. However there were some useful tips starting to come out before the Bristol witch hunt started.

All i was trying to do was highlight how/why people become victims of bike theft and gain ideas of how this can be prevented by those that may of experinced this – if i’d had my bristol forum reader filter applied then maybe it would of been more constructive.

I’m off for a ride.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

unless the readers of the forum know where you live – which i suppose they could find out – in whch case good point

Nail, head.

Yes, please go for a ride.

shoefiti
    Free Member

That didn’t really come across very cleanly either. You got awfully angsty with people that refused awfully quickly too.

what does that mean?

shoefiti
    Free Member

You don’t have to read the forum Kingtut – you could do some work – as you have said you are not prepared to offer advice to those outside your circle of riding buddies – so to be frank you have nothing to contribute anyway.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

shoefiti – Member

You don’t have to read the forum Kingtut – you could do some work – as you have said you are not prepared to offer advice to those outside your circle of riding buddies – so to be frank you have nothing to contribute anyway.

Well put it this way, my contribution to this thread hopefully is to highlight to people that giving details of your household security arrangements on the WWW is not a great idea.

But as you have posted details of yours, I would say from experience your security arrangements are far from good.

HTH.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

what does that mean?

Basically mr_a raised a perfectly valid point, and your response was to bite his head off. You reap what you sow. You also don’t own the thread.

shoefiti
    Free Member

not true – re-read it. He said

“So basically the thrust of your argument is that when someone has a bike nicked, it’s not the thieves’ fault, it’s theirs””

To which other forum readers agreed that i hadn’t meant this.

shoefiti
    Free Member

But as you have posted details of yours, I would say from experience your security arrangements are far from good.

I already stated that i have never had a bike stolen (besides a shocking old 3 speed thing i was trying to get rid for years and it took days before anyone took it) (i was 9 and wanted a new bike)

enfht
    Free Member

Three helmet-less MTBers clocked me from afar yesterday evening and literally raced in my direction. Call me paranoid but I didn’t hang around to see if they were just looking for a new route to try. It was a bit in the middle of nowhere afterall. I lost them 😀

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I already stated that i have never had a bike stolen (besides a shocking old 3 speed thing i was trying to get rid for years and it took days before anyone took it) (i was 9 and wanted a new bike)

That sounds very complacent, past luck is no guarantee of future luck.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

You shouldn’t be so literal minded. mr_a was raising a valid point, that of whether the onus is really on us to build mini fort knoxes everywhere just to keep our bikes, which is a perfectly valid thing to discuss on a thread about security. This either passed you by or the subtlety of the argument is lost on you.

shoefiti
    Free Member

Aspergers and forum use go hand in hand don’t they?

Yes it is a valid point that mra made – and a valiant one – but unfortunatly an argument bikes thieves care little for i suspect.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Fantastic, personal insults now eh?

If you want to discuss bike security fine, no need to be so snappy if people raise points you don’t like.

Asking for specific details of individuals setups, bad idea, especially given the inherant vunerability of ANY amount of security to an organised theif. Especially if you’re going to suggest that all MTBers adopt some kind of minimum level of security, of a given type, becuase then it’d be very easy for a theif to just replicate the methods endlessly.

… and to completely ignore the culpability of the theif, placing the onus on keeping their kit entirely on the owner, inferring that owners that won’t follow the security advice of a bunch of squabbling forum dwellers it tantamount to gross negligence, also pretty shaky ground. I’m not going to suggest you were attempting to suggest this, but to shout a guy down for saying that your OP could have been construed in this manner, isn’t really on eh?

BigDummy
    Free Member

shoefiti
    Free Member

ha ha see – now your doing it – you said i failed to get mr-a’s subtlety – so i refered to aspegers (this being a condition where people take things lierally – as you said i was doing – so obviouisly i must have been refering to myself – and you think i’m insulting you

priceless.

BigDummy
    Free Member

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Ooo, you won, well done, should we call MBUK now about that cover shot?

I do hope this thread has been useful to those researching bike security.

I know I’ve had a whale of a time 🙂

shoefiti
    Free Member

criky what hit that hippo?

shoefiti
    Free Member

Indeed Anothedeadhero – you surely do win the internet – thanks for your invaluable contributions.

juan
    Free Member

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Any time shoefiti.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Indeed Anothedeadhero – you surely do win the internet – thanks for your invaluable contributions.

Indeed all your base are belong to us.

shoefiti
    Free Member

same time next week? i’ll be discusing gluten free flapjack recipes if your interested.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I think that’s highly inappropriate, it could lead flapjack theives straight to my door 😡

shoefiti
    Free Member

now if i could only work out what that meant.

shoefiti
    Free Member

i’ve had problems with the hamburgular before – he’s on parole again now you know.

BigDummy
    Free Member

KINGTUT
    Free Member

shoefiti – Member

now if i could only work out what that meant.

Welcome to the internets.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I’ve never had any problems burgling ham.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I’ve never had any problems burgling ham.

Can you give me any ham security tips?

shoefiti
    Free Member

you can keep your internets if that’s how you talk – gibbeldygook.

shoefiti
    Free Member

Can you give me any ham security tips?

never let anyone follow you home with ham – always keep your ham in the house if possible – and try to always ham, with others – standard ham protocols in this day and age.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Could anyone show me a picture of their ham security?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I wire my ham up to the mains, ensures a nasty shock if anyone tries to sneakily covert my ham.

shoefiti
    Free Member

erm – i can’t apparently google image is confused.

MrAgreeable

Shoefiti, I don’t know what your problem seems to be, but every time you post on this forum it’s to have a whinge about something, be it Mr Carr (who I suspect, despite some of his palmares being a bit Jackanory, you’d never come close to beating in a race), Facebook (how original), or those silly mountain bikers who assume (quite reasonably most of the time) that they’re not being followed home from Wales by gangs of organised thieves.

I’ve also come into your line of fire for organising some repairs to the mountain bike trails around Bristol (which, judging by the post Bike Fest comments seem to have been widely appreciated) and having the temerity to start up a blog to try and do something about Bristol’s increasing bike theft problem (which again, seems to have been positively received, and has helped reunite a couple of people with their stolen bikes already, including me).

For all I know (seeing how you prefer to remain anonymous) you could be sat at your desk chortling away at each semi-earnest attempt at a response to your tiresome negative comments. But you do tend to come across as sincere, which is a tad worrying. If that is the case, just accept that not everyone feels the same way you do, and ultimately if people are having their bikes nicked while yours sit in your impregnable garage, it’s their problem, not yours.

shoefiti
    Free Member

I’ve got it, some leaves, a big hole and sharpened bamboo spikes – hangins to good for ham theives innit.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I wire my ham up to the mains, ensures a nasty shock if anyone tries to sneakily covert my ham.

I trust the ham is supported in a saline solution to enhance conductivity?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘Bike Security – why bother?!?’ is closed to new replies.