Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • bike rack failure
  • dbailey
    Free Member

Driving home from sherwood pines when whoosh two bikes flying of the halfords bikes rack.
    Spesh enduro and ellsworth Dare (lot of money)
    The two red straps to tie the bikes on ripped apart, total failure of the Halfords rack.

Both bikes sent down the M1 – luckily noboby hurt but one smashed up ellsorth.
    Q1, who is to blame.
    Q2 can i recover bike costs off car ins..
    Q3, will halfords play ball for what is cleary a fault?

Any help really appreciated
    D

iain1775
    Free Member

a mate had a similar issue on his way down A46 a couple weeks ago, the black rubber ‘rings’ the bikes sit on came off the end of the steel tube rack and the bike came off and bounced along the road with them still attached
    Admitedly his fault for not strapping it on more securely but even so there should have been some plug or something to stop the rubber things coming off so easily, even if strapped on if same thing happened the bike would have pivoted and bounced along behind the car, prob damaging bike and car
    He claimed on bike through his Nationwide house insurance and is getting his 5 year old On One Inbred w Sram x7 replaced with a new Ragley Piglet with Sram x9 and RS Revs, they valued his lump of mangled metal at £2.5k!!! (prob nearer £1.2k)

highclimber
    Free Member

I think you might be best persuing this via the SOGA (sales of goods act). if you are using a product and it fails thru appropriate usage and not through mis-use then I think you would have a claim against vendor (depending how old the product is). you have more protection within the first 6 months of purchase but even after this period a product should last a REASONABLE amount of time and certainly shouldn’t spill your very expensive bikes all over the queen’s highway!

If the retailer or manufacturer’s warranty has run out, the shop is often quick to say there is nothing they can do before attempting to sell you an extended warranty. This is misleading. If you buy something which should last 7 years but breaks down after a year and a day, you can still claim it was of poor quality in reference to the durability aspect.

large418
    Free Member

Not sure about advice in this instance, but next time, use additional strapping (I never trust the standard straps – I always double up)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘bike rack failure’ is closed to new replies.