Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bikes on roof carriers or stuff in a roof box for a long journey
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

Next week I’m travelling by car (with the chunnel thrown in) to Slovakia, I can’t make my mind up if I should put the bikes on the roof and the luggage etc in the car, of the bikes in the car and as much luggage etc as I can in my roof box.

Fuel consumption isn’t a major issue, but for info I can get 600 to the tank (BMW 320d tourer) with 2 bikes on the roof when cruising along at 72mph on the motorway as demonstrated by my recent round trip to Fort William.

With the bikes on the roof I tend not to go above 75mph, you’re limited to 80mph / 130kph anyway, but they get proper wobbly at that speed.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’d go with bikes in the car and roofbox option, more secure when stopping for breaks + less issues with clearance.

leffeboy

but they get proper wobbly at that speed.

I like to tie the frames as well for long journeys.  Makes them more stable and has saved me once when a clamp loosened on a Yframe and slipped off 🙁

stumpy01

If you have a roof box, I would go for bikes in the car & luggage on the roof.

andrewh
    Free Member

Yep, bikes in car and anything that won’t fit in the box.

Could I ask a wee favour please? Could you take half a dozen tins of rice pud for me? They don’t sell it in Slovakia and it’s a pian to fly with, really eats into the baggage allowance.

Thanks 🙂

alexpalacefan

You should deffo take the rice pud too. Add more than a measly 1/2 doz tins.

APF

steve_b77
    Free Member

Could I ask a wee favour please? Could you take half a dozen tins of rice pud for me? They don’t sell it in Slovakia and it’s a pian to fly with, really eats into the baggage allowance.

I’ll see what I can do.

Any chance of some info so I can ID you over there?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bikes on roof carriers or stuff in a roof box for a long journey’ is closed to new replies.