Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Bike industry calendar sucks
  • mikey-simmo
    Free Member

According to the bike industry 2017 is finished but we don’t get 2018 till September. Do they have child care issues? June is a bad month to suffer a bike theft as you might as well go whistle for a replacement. Chips Is singletrack newsroomr prepared to ask questions about this bonkers situation? Seams even those on the customer service line are embarrassed by what happens each year. Change the range by all means. Just do it when the summer is about to start or once it’s over not during.

scotroutes

Only applicable to some manufacturers really, and given the state of the economy one can hardly blame them for underestimating demand. Plus it avoids all those cheap 2017 bikes appearing and devaluing folks purchases. This annual launch thing is a really bad idea all round. It’s mostly change for the sake of change and screws it for smaller retailers.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Do they use dice? Tea leaves? As every year it’s always a surprise? Does the importation planner look like Marty fieldman?

newrobdob
    Free Member

I bought a Genesis bike where all the years bikes were sold by MARCH if I remember correctly. Bit of a shambles really.

Superficial
    Free Member

Just buy a bike from a manufacturer that doesn’t subscribe to the calendar.

Cotic
    Yeti
    Santa Cruz
    Probably Airdrop, Bird etc.
    Even Canyon, YT don’t have the same issues ( though you may still have to wait).

daern
    Free Member

On the upside, last year I picked up a dirt cheap previous year’s bike in July, just in time for the summer, when all of the new bikes had started to come into the shop. If you’re willing to accept not having the very latest thing, then there’s plenty of scope for really good deals.

One person’s devaluation is another’s bargain 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cotic
    Yeti
    Santa Cruz
    Probably Airdrop, Bird etc.
    Even Canyon, YT don’t have the same issues ( though you may still have to wait).

And when the yeti snaps, you’ll be 4 months waiting on a new one (I’ve been through that twice, so wasn’t a one off bad luck story!)

Santa Cruz defo release a lot more often than they used to, and if you want with the new nomad or Hightower, you won’t get one before October.

TheGingerOne

Anyone know when Cotic will get some more stock of the Escapade in? They don’t have the size I might be interested in and no word on the website of when the next container is arriving

chakaping
    Free Member

even those on the customer service line are embarrassed by what happens each year

Which customer service line is that?

Good advice, these companies might place more importance on the product than the marketing too.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Got off the phone to Scott. They were decidedly uncomfortable about what we should do for an as yet undecided period of time before next year starts. If we had answers we could make a plan- it’s all a bit of a mess. Amateur hour every year.

StuF

@TheGingerOne – try giving them a call, they should be able to tell you

zilog6128

One person’s devaluation is another’s bargain

+1 I’ll let others stress about having the latest & happily pick up a bargain!

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Bargains are great. Stock are out. It’s akin to supermarkets moving the isles about as a sales technique.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Santa Cruz defo release a lot more often than they used to, and if you want with the new nomad or Hightower, you won’t get one before October.

but once they are out they will be available if there is stock, minor colour changes and that is it

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Sadly the insurance company budget won’t stretch that far. But it goes further than Marty fieldmans estimates.

dovebiker

The industry has operated like this for years, particularly since the offshoring of production to the far east and that production orders are having to be firmed-up now for 2019 production. The benefits of scale means that prices of complete bikes is kept low, the problem being that once stock is depleted in-year, that’s it until the next production cycle.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

You don’t think you’re simplifying the issues faced by brands and distributors a little do you Mikey-Shimano?

We taper our stocks down at this time of year in anticipation of 2018 arriving, sure we run out of some lines but why wouldn’t we do this?

September (the period you say the new year starts) is less than 5 weeks away. What do you think happens if distributors still have abundant stocks of 2017 when 2018 also arrives? Would you personally still be happy to pay full price for a 17 bike knowing 18 was available?

daern
    Free Member

We taper our stocks down at this time of year in anticipation of 2018 arriving, sure we run out of some lines but why wouldn’t we do this?

Because this whole business of changing the models artificially every year isn’t great for consumers. Why not just change a model when it needs changing, rather than every single year.

Clearly, when you know that V2 of a specific product will be coming out it makes sense to run down the stock of V1, but artificially doing it for *all* product lines *every* year is the problem here.

Would you personally still be happy to pay full price for a 17 bike knowing 18 was available?

And this is why it’s done. It’s all horribly artificial and designed to introduce obsolescence where it doesn’t exist and give people the impression that the bike they bought last year is less good than the new one released this year.

Sorry, I don’t buy into this at all.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

large companies do production runs – colours for the year etc. then later they might do another one to get them through the year.
    2018 comes and there are new drive trains, updated forks, different builds on offer so they change.
    Where is the obselecence in there? Take a look at specialized, bike runs for a few years with small tweaks etc but different colours each year, same with giant.
    Nobody is going to have a production line ready to send out a frame today in 2017 colours as the 2018’s are all being made and built ready for shipping.

What exactly are you not buying? Do you want the one with 11sp GX or the one with 12sp gx for the same money? The one with this years dampers or last years?

Think you might just be getting a little over upset at something uite rational and normal?

daern
    Free Member

It’s interesting that I can’t think of a single other industry that does this for pretty much everything in their range every single year. Obviously car manufacturers do roll out new models from time to time (and they are certainly not averse to the “faux facelift” to make people think that they need to rush out and buy what is, in effect, the same as they already have.

But even the auto industry doesn’t do a mass refresh every single year. It’s specific to the bike industry.

What exactly are you not buying? Do you want the one with 11sp GX or the one with 12sp gx for the same money? The one with this years dampers or last years?

Ok, that’s a fair question, but how often do the component manufaturers change their line up. It’s certainly not every year – perhaps every two or three. Obviously some new components do down the line each year, but why would this necessitate that the bike manufacturers refresh everything in their line-up? As an example, M8000 XT hasn’t changed for two years now and probably won’t change again before next year.

My point here is that it’s all very artificial and, frankly, unnecessary.

Think you might just be getting a little over upset at something uite rational and normal?

I think you’re putting words into my mouth here. I was just pointing out something that I’ve always considered insane – i.e. at the point in the year where many people would think about going out to buy a new bike, most bike shops are already having stock and supply issues and all too often the customer is told that “it’ll be September, mate. Sorry about that.”.

How is this good for anyone?

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Why not just change a model when it needs changing, rather than every single year.

Every single year Shimano, SRAM, Fox, RockShox, etc, release new tech and evolution on their products. The development in the industry is moving at an amazing pace.

It’s all horribly artificial

What is? new product replacing old? Whats artificial about it?

give people the impression that the bike they bought last year is less good than the new one released this year.

But maybe it actually is though?
    No one is saying its any worse than it was when you bought it but naturally as time passes products are improved.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Other way around it’s launched at the end of winter here, the bits might not change much but you still get x number of frames done in a production run. When they are sold you get more, you might want to refresh the colour in that gap too.

In all of this you have to guess, predict and get buy in from the rest of the world to pre sell x number of each model per year on the initial run. A second or 3rd run that year might fill up if you were under estimating or became suddenly more popular. Then it’s time to fire up for the next year. You might also find there is a gap in the run earlier in the year, sometimes in Oz around Jan/Feb we are out of stock as Eurpoe is getting it all.

The comment about getting upset was your not buying it line, Rich from Silverfish who gave you a good explanation knows a bit about the bike trade…

as for other industries how about this years clothes, shoes, laptops, phones etc.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

As an example, M8000 XT hasn’t changed for two years now and probably won’t change again before next year.

But the bike that’s equipped with that XT groupset might also have gone boost this year? Maybe its taken on the new metrics shock system? RS have refreshed their entire line up so maybe its a new fork? What dropper is it using? The list goes on.

daern
    Free Member

But the bike that’s equipped with that XT groupset might also have gone boost this year? Maybe its taken on the new metrics shock system? RS have refreshed their entire line up so maybe its a new fork? What dropper is it using? The list goes on.

It does, although it must be said that the bike industry is a big fan of changing stuff for the sake of changing it. The rate of change that you pointed out is valid, from the point of view of the number of new product releases, but I do question how many of them are genuine benefits and how many are there to sell more bikes… (I’ll take my cynic hat off now!)

All of your points are valid though – people do want the latest kit, but surely there must be a way of satisfying this without starving the market for months. Personally, I prefer the boutique (aka custom) approach, where the customer can choose which bits they want and this seems to be far more immune to the mid-year shortages that plague many of the mainstream complete bike suppliers.

It’s something I’ve hit before and the net result has always been me walking away and buying something else. I don’t remember ever waiting 3 months for next year’s bike to come into stock – I’ll just go elsewhere. Isn’t this something the industry would want to improve?

Thanks for your answers BTW – they are genuinely insightful.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

We’d be happy to pay full price if only people had any to buy. It appears that the industry sees august as a month of sales they’re prepared to write off as having nothing from current or coming year would be madness in the food sector.
    Trek did this for my road bike. No stock in Europe last year.
    I want to buy a bike.
    You have none.
    This is not a success for a sales industry.
    How is this simplistic?

chiefgrooveguru

Banshee announced they’re no longer doing model years with their frames – designs will be updated when they feel it’s needed.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You have none.
    This is not a success for a sales industry.
    How is this simplistic?

They have sold all the stock they produced, I’d call that a win in sales terms, they will have more along soon which will also sell out. Bonus all round.
    They probably sold most close to RRP also without having to take a hit on older stock in sales.
    Bikes are not food, but to put things in perspective how do you go getting fresh strawberries in December? Same price? Lots of choice?

Large amounts of europe are on holiday, lots of people will buy bikes in the run up to their holidays, plenty will hang out for the new model which has been around for 9-10 months now

Banshee announced they’re no longer doing model years with their frames – designs will be updated when they feel it’s needed.

and if they are selling well there will be a time when they are between productions and stock has all been sold.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

They sold them all and that is a success.
    but not concerned about having a company with nothing to sell appears nonsensical.
    Not having a product for basically 8 weeks is a chunk of the year where they run a website with adverts. Sell nothing. Why isn’t this a problem for the industry? Why doesn’t this happen during the period of time when people ride the most. Like upgrading turkeys at the end of November nad promising new stock by January.

simondbarnes

i.e. at the point in the year where many people would think about going out to buy a new bike, most bike shops are already having stock and supply issues and all too often the customer is told that “it’ll be September, mate. Sorry about that.”.

Very much this. The massive problem is it occurring in the middle of summer every year which is when most people look to buy a bike. Supply of many models has been slim / non-existent for the last couple of months (or more) which has meant lost sales and unhappy (potential) customers. You then get new stock coming through in Oct/Nov when the weather is shit and hardly anyone is looking to buy a bike :-/

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Well I tell you what Mikey – lets give this a go.
    Tell me what sort of MTB you’re after, what budget you’ve got and I’ll see what options I have available.

It seems to me that you’re having a poor experience with Scott (which is unusual tbf) and tarring the whole industry with the same brush.

That’s pretty much true of most frame manufactures, especially with the increase of carbon frames.

chakaping
    Free Member

TBF to the OP it does seem to be getting more of a (first world) problem lately.

Plenty of bikes to choose from though, unless you’ve got your heart set on a particular model.

Do you mean they won’t be selling bikes as model year specific? Most brands have a three-year cycle for updating the frame. Just different paint & stickers each year.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Rich thanks for the offer.
    I Tried to buy a trek two years ago in June. None in Europe. It’s not just Scott problem.
    It’s also not that simple.
    It’s for my wife. Replacing a stolen bike.
    She needs to ride it as to put it simply. She’s not that tall. 5’2″ short back long legs.
    This is industry wide and we will end up traveling across the country to lay hands on the correct size physically in store without having to order it in.
    We’d buy the one she liked simple as.
    The industry really has picked its moment, mid summer, for such a nonsensical carry on as this.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Got to admit i’m kinda with the OP.
    If Brand X are selling Model Y, then its a realistic expectation that I should be able to take my cash to a shop (or online) and buy Model Y.

I sent a beginner to a LBS last year to try a Giant Defy as it would be perfect for them – “out of stock”.
    Well when are next years coming in? – “Errr, soon?”
    Guess what brand of bike he didn’t buy?

I fully understand the logistics nightmare, and the desire to not have excess stock floating around and potentially selling half price. But that’s really not the customers fault is it?

jblewi
    Free Member

If it’s any consolation it’s a ****ing nightmare sometimes trying to find a suitable bike at a suitable price for a customer when you work in a bike shop at this time of year too.

zilog6128

I sent a beginner to a LBS last year to try a Giant Defy as it would be perfect for them – “out of stock”.

surely you were aware of the “dead zone” the OP’s complaining about though i.e. the worst possible time to try to buy/demo a new bike! Could’ve saved your mate a wasted journey! Or did you sent him to the hardware store for a long weight & some tartan paint as well 🙂

fifeandy
    Free Member

Any keen cyclist would know it’s the worst possible time to try to buy/demo a new bike!

Sure, but that doesn’t exactly help him when he didn’t have a road bike and needed one asap.

scotroutes

RS have refreshed their entire line up so maybe its a new fork? What dropper is it using? The list goes on.

Rockshox are part of the bike industry too. This whole “rate of change” thing is endemic. As has been pointed out, many manufacturers manage to avoid the 12-monthly sales cycle (did I see Ibis mentioned)?

zilog6128

Sure, but that doesn’t exactly help him when he didn’t have a road bike and needed one asap.

No, and to be fair I had exactly the same problem in my local Giant dealer when I wanted to try one. Quite early in the summer season as well. Ended up with a Cannondale Synapse, much better!

daern
    Free Member

If it’s any consolation it’s a ****ing nightmare sometimes trying to find a suitable bike at a suitable price for a customer when you work in a bike shop at this time of year too.

Yeah, bike shops get the blame but in truth, they have little influence, unless they are willing to switch to manufacturers that have more predictable supply chains. Tough call, that…

matt_outandabout

This is why I felt the need to move quickly on picking up a sales bike this year…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Bike industry calendar sucks’ is closed to new replies.