Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)
  • XC Hardtail Frame Only – Options?
  • njee20
    Free Member

Lol, I like the frame, it’s nice’ish but not £1355 nice.

Don’t look at the retail price then.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

TINAS, I don’t actually know. I’ve just taken a random comment on here as gospel and not actually looked at the figures myself

I’ve concluded after buying and selling more bikes than I can actually remember that whilst I’m really picky about geometry and can detect small differences between frames, when it comes to actually riding them IDGAS and can ride round almost any problem. In fact I’d go as far as saying my liking for XC bikes, particularly ‘bad’ ones with 72deg HA’s, 20″ frames and 110mm stems, isn’t because I want to ride/race XC, it’s because I like the challenge compared to the more appropriate Hardcore HT or 120mm FS bikes with dropper posts which I should probably ride.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

particularly ‘bad’ ones with 72deg HA’s

this has a 72 degree head angle 😆

You tried one?

in 20 years I’ve never test ridden a bike, and i dread to think how many I’ve had, sometimes i make daft mistakes, bought a large Blur XCc once, and paid full retail for a Blur LTc frame 😆 😕

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

this has a 72 degree head angle

Post it to me and I’ll dispose of it humanely, it’s the only reasonable course of action under the circumstances.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Nice!

Rotors UK Importers didn’t even know the item existed and when i showed them they seemed to get all pissy saying “we have been the importers for 9 years and its not an item we’ve ever seen”

This made me lol, LBS recently built one of these up and probably had the exact same conversation, he also had to show them the picture of the item he wanted as the got a bit huffy!!

Lovely frame, I couldn’t believe how light it felt when I picked one up, feels like paper!

They are steep though, built up it certainly looked it, horses for courses.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

haha

i asked about the part and the reply was

ROTOR don’t do a GXP compatible BB unfortunately.

when i sent a link to one on a US site he said

That may be so, but I’ve never seen one, and we have been the distributor for 9 years.

i told him his reply was almost rude and just becase he’d never seen one didn’t mean it didn’t exist

to which he sent

Sorry if you’re offended, didn’t mean to cause offence.
    We’ve never had this BB, ROTOR have never told us they make one, so we wouldn’t carry on them in stock.
    Why not try the US? They may be able to help?

great thanks, try the US, i didn’t reply, if an importer cannot be arsed to check with the people they distribute for, for an item that exists, then they lose my sale

i admit, its a rare item but still, its a conversation they have clearly had more than once

tpbiker
    Free Member

i would have given you my canyon cf frame for free…it pish. Good choice..

1300 quid for the frame…will fit right in with the others in your (expensive) collection as i recall!

whats the build?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

i would have given you my canyon cf frame for free…it pish. Good choice..

How come? I was considering the alu one.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Not sure its the frame or the entire bike, but it just doesn’t excite in any way. Riding it feels like a chore..

For a 21lb race bike it feels cumbersonme and heavier than it is. I came from an anthem which was a great bike, something to enjoy. The Canyon feels like a tool rather than a toy..

I’ve only ridden it about 300 miles in 5 months which says it all…plan is to strip and try to source a carbon anthem frame in 29er variety, or push the boat out for a carbon tallboy.

edit…maybe I just don’t like 29ers!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

whats the build?

just doing a bit of a parts merry-go-round at the minute, i don’t need 3x MTB’s as its probably about 10% of my riding, but i don’t want to get rid of any of them 😆

will be XX1/XTR Di2/Pro Tharsis Bars/Stem/Post – wheels not sure wether to get some 30x30mm far sports carbon clinchers, or move the ENVE ones across, they are a bitch to tubeless though, they are the old design ones, i don’t think they were tubeless ready, needs the rim bed building to get them to seat, seems a faf and cannot justify another new pair,

forks? well i do have these in the cupboard 😆 😳

tpbiker
    Free Member

i don’t need 3x MTB’s as its probably about 10% of my riding

will be XX1/XTR Di2/Pro

Does not compute???!!…that said if you can afford it go for it, lucky man indeed…

although not so if you fit those forks…they are god damn awful!

cokie

You’re builds are always awesome! Look forward to the finished product 😀 .

If you’re going no expense spared then I’d leave the Lauf well alone and look at a lefty, Sid or marz lcr carbon 320.

mashiehood
    Free Member

I don’t give two hoots about angles etc, it’s how it rides and I love riding my open – dirtyrider, hope you enjoy it as much I do mine, here are some pics to inspire the build.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

^ above linky picture

cokie

.. with correct rotation

Lovely looking bikes! Rather expensive though 😯

mashiehood
    Free Member

thanks swedish and cokie.

mrblobby
    Free Member

They do look fast 🙂

Dirtyrider, how’s the build going?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Aye come on you slack bar steward, why isn’t this built yet?

barrykellett
    Free Member

tpbiker – Member
    Not sure its the frame or the entire bike, but it just doesn’t excite in any way. Riding it feels like a chore..

For a 21lb race bike it feels cumbersonme and heavier than it is. I came from an anthem which was a great bike, something to enjoy. The Canyon feels like a tool rather than a toy..

I’ve only ridden it about 300 miles in 5 months which says it all…plan is to strip and try to source a carbon anthem frame in 29er variety, or push the boat out for a carbon tallboy.

edit…maybe I just don’t like 29ers!

And what size is this free canyon?
    😆

I may even be willing to part cash for it ❓

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Dirtyrider, how’s the build going?

waiting on replacement ENVE Brass Nipples and some spokes, probably a couple of weeks off full build unfortunatley

DanW
    Free Member

Going full weight weenie on this one then? 😀 (besides the Di2 maybe)

cubicboy
    Free Member

I have an Open too. The head angle is steep – but it’s an XC race bike. There are certain descents in the Peaks that make me feel nervous but that’s probably due to a high seatpost combo. I’ve never been keen on the SID fork so plan to change over to a Fox when I find one at a good price. It’s a beautiful bike tho.

mashiehood
    Free Member

Cubic – did you buy the full sus?

cubicboy
    Free Member

Mashie – I bought an Epic – I love it

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Going full weight weenie on this one then? (besides the Di2 maybe)

nah, been there sort of done it,

is internal di2 heavier than mechanical? cannot be much in it, especially when run internally without that massive **** bottle mount battery thing

dirtyrider
    Free Member

bump, half built this today and here come the problems,

rotor press fit GXP BB seems too wide when pressed in, not enough axle on the non-drive side, I’ve emailed Open see what they say, shitty GXP bb cost me an arm and a leg in customs fees,

plan was to use Pro Tharsis stuff, went great until the 3 port junction box, id planned to stash it in the steerer, however the carbon steerer is too thick and it doesn’t go in 😆 stems not long enough for it to go inside – don’t want to use the XTR display

will await the reply from Open and have a look at the junction issue in a couple of days

dirtyrider
    Free Member

oh yer a pic, 7kg bang on as it stands, with standard heavy schwalbe tubes installed at the moment, missing a few bits of course, (bb, cranks, chain, pedals, front brake) – took the decals off the rims, fitted a single grey one, looks much better imho

mrblobby
    Free Member

Finished your build yet dirtyrider?

Still toying with the idea of replacing my old Scandal 29er frame with something nice. It’s over 1800g so could loose about half of that with a decent carbon frame. Did my first XC race over the weekend and I’ve already got an itch for something nicer 🙂

Just noticed the new Canyon Exceed frame only. 870g apparently. At 1500 euro it’s very tempting. Then selected UK location and suddenly it’s 1600 quid. HowTF did they work that one out?! I may query them and see if that’s a genuine mistake. Can’t be right surely?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

not yet, just waiting on a BB from Open as i bought some M9000 cranks, looked odd having everything XTR and the Cranks XX1 😆

that Exceeds not available as a frame only until July 16,

strange that one of the builds has 2×10 XX on it 😕

mrblobby
    Free Member

that Exceeds not available as a frame only until July 16,

Balls 🙁

Just chatting to Canyon. The chap said the price doesn’t look quite right. I suspect they’ll fix the euro price!

rsvktm

That looks really well. You used the Lauf’s yet and if so how are you finding them ? Really fancy putting a pair on the front of my wife’s race bike, but she is resisting as they are ‘ugly’.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Haha, spoke to Canyon, and indeed they now think it’s the Euro price that’s incorrect and it’ll be corrected soon! Tempted to order one at that price for pick up even if it isn’t ready till July.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

its not built yet rsvktm

theres a large Open on eBay, new, from Bromley Bike,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Open-O-1-0-MTB-frame-/272031552734?hash=item3f565814de:g:cc0AAOSwo0JWM1L2

rsvktm

Cheers, didn’t know if you had used them prior to this build. Only seem a pair in the flesh on the front of a fat bike, I really like the idea behind them but wifes not convinced.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

ah no, new for this build

mrblobby
    Free Member

Staying well clear of that eBay link. Dangerous stuff!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

bb arrived on 23/12

saddle already switched to a Fabric Alm Ultimate and I’ve not even ridden it 😆

just steerer and hoses to shorten

everyone
    Free Member

Thunder burts and a lauf? Not for riding then! 😉

Looks great but not a spec I’d choose (don’t those fabric saddles have a habit of snapping?)

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Thunder burts and a lauf? Not for riding then!

perfect for Lincolnshire 8)

mashiehood
    Free Member

thats looks great, a quick switch to Rocket Ron’s would make it ideal for winter. I thought about putting a lauf on my Open but decided against it – if one came up for sale second hand i may consider it.
    The Fabric ALM is the best saddle i have ever put my backside on.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘XC Hardtail Frame Only – Options?’ is closed to new replies.