• This topic has 17 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by gray.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Bike fit (roadie type)
  • Trimix
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a bike fit for a roadie. My wife has turned to the ‘Darkside’ and Id like to buy her a proper fit – in the Oxford area.

She has had back problems in the past, so Id happily pay for a proper professional fit. Rather than just goggling it or listening to your mates 🙂

lunge

I’ve used Bike Dynamics in Leamington in the past. I have no idea what he is like compared to others as I’ve never used them but my road bike went from being not right to fitting like a glove, I guess you can’t ask for much more than that.

I hear Cadence Sports are good too though I have no experience of them myself.

gray

I can recommend Scherrit at http://www.thebikewhisperer.co.uk/

He’s down near Newbury, so not far from you. I had a ~6 hour fitting session with him. Because he’s so thorough, he’s not cheap, but he does know his stuff.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Scherrit is the only person I’d go to.

Trimix
    Free Member

Looks good, I will give him a call.

verticalclimber
    Free Member

i’m off to bikedynamics next month after a recommendation. he gives lots of advice/info on website as well.

Trimix
    Free Member

He charges £265 compared to say the £180-200 prices I see for others using the RETUL style of fitting.

Does he video the riding ?

Yak

A bit further away:

Garth Kruger here:
    http://www.vankru.com/

Fixed all my wife’s road bike fit issues.

lunge

Does he video the riding ?

Is you’re asking about Mike at Bike Dynamics, yes he does.

gray

Scherrit didn’t use any fancy video motion capture stuff with me. He uses Steve Hogg inspired methods. My rationale for choosing Scherrit was that in the absence of a whole bunch of personal recommendations, it was difficult to know whether someone using a Retul style system had simply paid out a bunch of cash for the hardware and a few day’s training, or whether they had a load of useful experience as well. I’m sure that the hardware can get, say, 90% of people a 90% good fit, which may be an improvement for many. However, I figured that if I was going to do it, I’d do it properly. So I opted for ~6 hours of experienced person time rather than a couple of hours of person time plus a chunk of hardware costs. I think that was the right decision for me (well, since then I’ve broken my spine so my flexibility has changed somewhat, so I guess I didn’t get great value from the fit!), but you pays your money, you takes your choice.

Trimix
    Free Member

Good point grey, you cant beat experience.

But my wife is also a scientist, she will also expect some facts, figures and a methodology to back up what they say.

gray

(It sounds a bit like I’m an advert here – I’m not really and have no connection with Scherrit other than being a happy customer.)

Scherrit has a background in science. I have a PhD and am a full time scientist. I don’t believe that figures are really very relevant to bike fitting. Methodology, absolutely. Facts really are “what has worked for other people”, combined with “what the fitter can learn from talking to and examining the fittee”. (Sounds like I just called your wife a fitty! Hope you don’t mind.)

Trimix
    Free Member

gray, luckily for me I still think she is a fitty 🙂

gray

Jolly good! Whatever you decide, I hope it proves useful. Thinking about it, there was an article a few weeks back in Cycling Weekly about physio-led bike fitting. Might be able to find it online. Given her previous back issues that might be worth considering, though all decent bike fitters would factor that in to some extent.

verticalclimber
    Free Member

? £265 bike dynamics is £145 for bike and shoe cleats etc

chakaping
    Free Member

If you fancied a trip for some glorious road riding in the Trough of Bowland she could pop into NJD Sports for a bike fit first…

Bike Fit

Worth looking for a good physio who does bike fitting if she has had back probs IMO.

beej

I’ve used Scherrit too, my 6 hour session got split in two as my cleat bolts had completely seized and I came back later with new shoes. Was probably 7 hours in total. Highly recommended, does loads of different tests of the person before event sitting on a bike, and lots of questioning as to what kind of riding you want the set-up to be for.

I came out as biodynamically excellent from a leg tracking point of view. I was very proud – no shoe or cleat shims needed for me.

gray

£265 for 6 hours or so is not unreasonable. It’s just a question of whether that’s what you want / need.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Bike fit (roadie type)’ is closed to new replies.