Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Big Beach Ride – Crosby to St Bees :)
  • darkroomtim
    Free Member

I did the local Global Fat Bike Day a couple of weekends ago, from Crosby to Formby (and into the woods) – which was ace and was wondering “how far could you keep going along the sand” ? So have just been mooching around in OS maps online and you can “kinda” go all the way to St Bees, obviously having to track inland occasionally to avoid some water obstacles – but it looks kinda doable – so has anyone attempted this – its looks awesome – well to me anyway – yeah completely flat (obvs) and zero point zero gnar but as a concept I really like the idea – is this the longest stretch of sand in the UK ?

40mpg

I had a look at southampton to Worthing by beach. I’ve done over half (not in one go though).

Theres a couple of ferry crossings (Hamble and Gosport) and a couple of gaps for docks etc but it’s mostly doable. Just need to slow tides down! The one bit I have a problem with is Hayling to West Wittering, would have to hire a boat to get across!

I think its about 50 miles total.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

From my point on the Cumbrian end. It would be a very very long way and you’d not be able to ride most of it with the tide in. Getting round Walney channel would be tricky and the bit between Broughton and Millom wouldn’t be straightforward, once you hit haverigg you’d be ok apart the rivers. Not sure about eskmeals….

Garry_Lager

Would be a mighty challenge – think you’d see some beautiful landscapes / nature as well despite the sameyness of the terrain. Goes without saying you’d need to research the bolex off it as a lot of those sands are dangerous with the tides and soft sand.

Some of those rivers emptying out are quite large – e.g. the Ribble, the Lune – they’d have you trekking a good way inland to a bridge which would get tiresome.

breadcrumb

I’ve wondered how far I could get down from Allonby (ten minutes from me).
    Or even catch the train down the coast and ride back up. It’s timing it right with the tides.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Big Beach Ride – Crosby to St Bees :)’ is closed to new replies.