Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Best value lights for night riding
  • coolbeanz
    Free Member

I’d like to try out some night riding, but before I do, I need to get some lights, so I’d appreciate your recommendations.

Is it feasible to get something decent on a budget of £50???

lardman
    Free Member

Mtb batteries do a very good and plenty powerful light for £70.
    It’s the V2 or something. I’ve got two of them and they’re great value and reliable battery pack that just keeps on going.

akira

C and b seen are pretty good.

pahoehoe
    Free Member

Really happy with my mtb batteries light. 3 seasons of rural commuting – apart from rusting bolts(cosmetic only) it’s been flawless.

smurfly13
    Free Member

Cree lights currently in Aldi for £40

https://www.aldi.co.uk/p/70187/0

MoreCashThanDash

The Aldi Cree light is great value, and a three year warranty

ceepers

I know people have had mixed experiences but for budget riding I’ve found the solar storm x2 has been ace for under £30. First one lasted a couple of years and it’s replace,ent did this winter of regular use. Pair it with a £15 Cree off eBay for your helmet and you’re sorted.

mattyfez

I’m interested in that aldi one, anyone know what the battery quality is like? I’ve got a cheap solar storm x2 cree with a failed battery, and to replace the battery with something decent will be about the same price as just buying one of them..

If they are the same recycled ‘lucky dip’ laptop batteries then I may just buy a new battery pack.

rezis
    Free Member

Try the 7dayshop Cree light, I have one and very good for £20!

steffybhoy
    Free Member

These lights are best quality value for buck! Very small and very bright. Quality product.

coolbeanz
    Free Member

Thanks for your suggestions.

So would the consensus be that Cree are of similar quality to MTB Batteries or C and B Seen, or not really?

craig24
    Free Member

Had 6 of these between me and my mates. I use one on my bars and one on my helmet. Have bars on wide and helmet on narrow, lasts 3 – 4 hours normally. My mate just uses the 1 and gets on fine. You could get 2 for your budget though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171813873607?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=470751202004&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

dalesjoe
    Free Member

C & B seen. Simply superb. One of my mates got some and raved about them. Now about 5 of us got them and all rave about them. I had an issue with mine. Called them up and he posted me a replacement the same day. Just said to send the old one back whenever I got a chance. Can’t ask for more than that.

mattyfez

So would the consensus be that Cree are of similar quality to MTB Batteries or C and B Seen, or not really?

Cree is an LED bulb manufacturer, not the manufacturer of the lamp itself. C&B seen units use cree bulbs, as do many other bike light manufacurers.

Cree

SaxonRider

Those C and B Seen lights look superb. I think I will get myself the roadie set asap.

Thanks for the heads up!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The cheap ‘cree’ stuff you see is generally straight from China and is of unknown/varying quality.

The mentioned Solarstorm X2, for example, is OK but most on the market are actually copies so it is hard to get a genuine one. Plus the battery packs and chargers MAY be alright, or they may not.

C & B Seen are one of the cheapest of the china importers that will then apply some degree of quality assurance to the stock they sell, and some decent backup.

MTB Batteries are a step up, probably with better quality batteries.

Torchy the battery boy is probably in the middle of the two.

Buy MTB Batteries if you can afford it, otherwise C & B Seen.

The Aldi stuff is no cheaper than C & B Seen.

You really want a bar light and a head light for night riding.

SaxonRider

The mentioned Solarstorm X2, for example, is OK but most on the market are actually copies so it is hard to get a genuine one. Plus the battery packs and chargers MAY be alright, or they may not.

I had bought one of these last year on the basis of everyone talking about them on here. The battery lasted about 2 rides.

I haven’t told Mrs SR.

scaled
    Free Member

where are you? ive got a couple of solarstorm head units kicking about somewhere

gonzy
    Free Member

i’ve had my c&b seen lights for 4 years now and never had any problems with them. they are awesome!
    they burn brighter and longer than the cheap ebay specials my mates have too.
    cant fault them for the money.

they’re selling the 1200 lumen set for £40 at the moment.
    http://www.candb-seen.co.uk/product-green-1200-bike-light-kit.html

Northwind

I’d want to see the Aldi light’s charger and battery connector, but the light itself makes a lot of sense- quad XP LEDs is a great setup, gives a more balanced beam than most multi-XML lights.

I’d like a go of that 7- XPL light C&B have, there’s nothing else in their range I’d buy though. Troutie usually has something interesting worth checking out. MTB Batteries don’t look competitive any more, to me…

keppoch

Those all look pretty good bar mount options. Any suggestions for a wire free helmet solution to add to one of those? Like a Joystick but cheaper.

1timmy1
    Free Member

We bought between us 4 Brite-R cree lights from Camera King, all hae been fine for 2 winters. About £20 each, looks like they have been updated since we bought them.

Northwind

keppoch – Member

Like a Joystick but cheaper.

The cheaper light manufacturers have never really gone for this market, that I’ve seen, probably because torches cover it so well (that’s all a joystick is; a nice, lightweight torch and a really nice bracket)

Does it have to be wireless? Wired can be a slight hassle but it makes for a much better light otherwise, and takes weight and bulk off your head

fatbobb
    Free Member

My Solarstorm X2 battery lasted two rides too. Got one of these from Torchy for 20 quid-

Torchy BK 01

Great light. Battery lasts for about three hours. Great build.

scc999

I’ve got a C&B Seen light – but the battery pack is dead after a year and not much use.
    Was going to get a replacement battery from Magicshine but just seen Gonzy’s link to a complete package of light and battery for £6 more.
    Not sure whether to risk C&Bseen’s batteries again though.

singletrackmind

+1 for Craig24’s linky.
    Cheap , bright, almost disposbale at that pirce point ( ie new one each winter ) A sensible upgrade would be a battery upgrade from MTB batteries or Torchy .
    I use one with a XML torch on my lid and it is fine.
    For all out lumen wars the Four 4ths are right up there

deadkenny
    Free Member

singletrackmind – Member
    For all out lumen wars the Four 4ths are right up there

+1 and very well built, solid construction and connectors that will take punishment and cope with the weather. UK based (Aldershot).

But a bit above a £50 budget 😉

That said on the thread title I’d say they are good value for money.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Maybe go for some secondhand Hopes? If they go wrong, you can get them repaired, sometimes free, but will be like new.

The issue with cheap lights can be the quality of the mounts, connectors, chargers and the beam pattern.

I know its money, but a good set of lights will make it enjoyable and be confident, get you back home with some charge left and can save your life or injury. I always ride with a small front led light, so on road I can dip down and be seen and not blind others. Just remember to get a good back light too and a Pro Viz jacket.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Magicshine MJ900 @ £25 until midnight tonight at PX?

Northwind

scc999 – Member

I’ve got a C&B Seen light – but the battery pack is dead after a year and not much use.

TBH part of this is that lipos are ornery about care and storage- it can happen to any light, though after 1 year is pretty quick.

Harry_the_Spider

I’m long term testing a Starry Light RX02 for a mountainbike magazine that has a website and everything. Review coming soon once I’ve finished it.

Very impressive and about £50.

Got a Solar Storm too. The light is good but the charger and battery are rubbish.

sheepdip71
    Free Member

Slightly more expensive but I use a Hope one, bright enough to see where I am going & decided on that because it takes AA batteries. I use rechargeable ones with a set of normal ones as a back up.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Best value lights for night riding’ is closed to new replies.