Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Best tyres for les arcs
  • hughjayteens
    Free Member

Am taking the trusty ML8 to les arcs this summer for a bit of gravity fuelled fun so was after some tyre advice. Currently running single ply Nobby Nic USTs and love em but think they might be a bit lightweight for the alps.

Not overly fussed about tubeless although it probably makes sense as I run it in the UK.

Cheers

Chris

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Bump

jhw
    Free Member

high rollers or eskars?

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’ve been and I just used the tyres I had on the bike. Unless you are planning to ride completely differently and smash into big rocks at top speed your NN’s will be fine and you’re used to them. A lot of the riding there is actually forest singletrack similar to Wales. Also Borg has a big bike shop so if it does go pear shaped you can easily buy a new tyre/tyres.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Assuming you’re doing lift assisted stuff, I’ve usually used 2.5 twinply supertacky Minion on the front, 2.5 twinply maxxpro Minion or Highroller on the back. Tubeless versions available I believe…

loddrik
    Free Member

Fancy selling the ML8..? 🙂

smogmonster

A second for SuperTacky Minions here – used them last year when with White Room, will be doing same this year as they went an entire week without a single puncture. I run 2.4″ Fat Alberts year round in UK…i ripped the rear apart within half an hour out there (so went straight to the local shop to pay an extortionate amount for the Minions!). Its rocky, and the rocks are sharp – you need thick tyre walls.

chakaping
    Free Member

*makes note to take Fat Alberts off and replace with Minions on visit to Les Arcs this summer*

JEngledow
    Free Member

Where’s the cheapest place to get High Rollers / Minions?

smogmonster

Next Day Tyres seem good for most tyres..i only buy from them these days as they have great customer service IME. Chaka, yeah i love the FA’s but they just arent heavy duty enough for the razor like rocks out there.

Obvious question is when and where is everyone heading? White Room, June 18th – 25th for me.

chakaping
    Free Member

PdS area june 24th, Verbier june 30th, Les Arcs after that probably

budgierider67

Wiggle look pretty cheap at the moment.
    I’m out in Les Arcs in Sept on a back country week.
    I’m leaning towards 2.35 folding Maxxis High Rollers or Minions (with tubes). Which would be the less draggy for the climbs (no lifts!)and are the sidewalls of both pretty tough?

chakaping
    Free Member

There’s a new variety of Maxxis single-ply tyres with extra sidewall protecion. Think ST had a positive review.

Called Exo-protection maybe?

TheSwede
    Free Member

2.5 dual ply super tacky minions here. Not for XC days though 😯

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

Personally, now that Stendec are importing the new versions of the Michelin Comp 16 (called the WildGrip’R 2.50), I wouldn’t bother with Maxxis tyres any more. High Rollers, etc., were always a cheap and inferior copy of the Comp 16.

I would happily use a 16 (or WildGrip’R, if you insist on calling them by their new name) for everything except thick mud.

http://www.stendec-works.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11&Itemid=11

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input – will keep an eye out for some deals and see what I can get hold of. My rims are Bontrager Rhythm Pro (as found on high end Remedys) – any idea if there is a width limit?

I’m in Les Arcs for 16th-19th of July staying at a friends apartment in 1950. Can’t wait to pop my alps cherry!

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Oh and Loddrick – I don’t think I’ll ever sell the ML8 it really is just an amazing bike and I’ve yet to ride anything that does so much so well. It’s built up to about 27lbs which for a 160mm bike capable of some pretty burly drops yet climbs like a race bike is fantastic. Another mate I ride with tried it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and said he had never ridden anything else that felt so ‘right’ the instant he got on it.

loddrik
    Free Member

I know. I can get a new one from je James for 650, I’m weighing up what can get sold to raise funds.

jhw
    Free Member

I’d be most careful about using Michelin Comp 16s in the Alps – they wear very, very quickly (like in 8 hours of riding) – at least the old ones did. Good grip though.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I was days away from buying a J E James frame last year but spotted a frame and forks/wheel for the same money on here so snapped it up. I think theirs are the 08 model with improved rebound damping.

goog
    Free Member

conty verts for teh win

northair
    Free Member

Maxxis High Rollers or Minions are my choice. I use 2.5″, dual ply maxx pro. I only use maxx pro because I can’t afford to replace my tyres every week or so.

Last year I started using a Maxxis Larsen TT on the back and a Schwalbe Fat Albert on the front for pedalling in Les Arcs (only on dry days). Liked that set up a lot.

Ben
    trailAddiction

budgierider67

northair – Member
    Maxxis High Rollers or Minions are my choice. I use 2.5″, dual ply maxx pro. I only use maxx pro because I can’t afford to replace my tyres every week or so.

Last year I started using a Maxxis Larsen TT on the back and a Schwalbe Fat Albert on the front for pedalling in Les Arcs (only on dry days). Liked that set up a lot.

Ben
    trailAddiction

Ben,

do you use the High Roller/Minion as a combo?
    Is there any change of preference for a backcountry week?

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info – are maxxpro just harder wearing versions of the super tacky ones? These will only see very limited use so I’m guessing super tacky would be the bet option?

Is it worth getting the front and rear specific tyres?

Northwind

If in doubt, Highrollers, they’re not always the best tyre but there’s very few situations where they’re not good. But don’t underestimate how fast you can wear a supertacky out especially on the rear, mine have done one race and maybe 2 or 3 push-up days and they’re pretty rounded.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Managed to pick up some used but unworn Minion 2.5s so will report backmonce I’ve tried em!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Best tyres for les arcs’ is closed to new replies.