Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Best Scottish "gravel" rides
  • jimmy

A friend is visiting from Oregon next month and she wants to “experience as much as possible on her cx bike”. Other than local Edinburgh stuff I wouldn’t know what’s out there – guessing lots on the landrover, sorry, gravel tracks around the Highlands. Any must-do’s?

scotroutes

Tons of stuff round Rothiemurchus, Abernethy, Ardverickie, maybe Affric. Lots in Caithness but it’s a long way to go and the scenery isn’t (in my opinion) as good.

Edit: let me know if you want some more specific ideas and/or company.

donald
    Free Member

Get tae Falkirk – canal or John Muir way?

tjagain

Glen Ogle? – wonderful bit of old railway very scenic but its really back the same way or on the road. Glen Tilt circuit to much perhaps? Great glen? Most of the stuff I know ( apart from wht scotroutes mentions) are really best as multiday stuff or very long day loops Lochan Na Hearba by laggan is beautiful and all on decent tracks

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Galloway forest park, absolutely miles of forestry roads around glentrool all the way up to loch doon. Stunning area too.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I rode from Tomintoul to Breamar in May. Part of the published tour of the Cairngorm’s route. Bit of nice moorland pushing in the middle but fine for CX type bikes othwise.

jimmy

Thanks. All this is doing is making me want to go with her.

13thfloormonk

We did a great route on our CX bikes starting on the West Highland Way from Milngavie up to Drymen, then up and over the old Gartmore road and turning left on to waymarked landrover tracks (part of the Rob Rob Way I think). These took us into Aberfoyle and then over to Loch Venachar and into Callander.

From there you can follow the cycle path up to Lochearnhead and get onto the afore-mentioned Glen Ogle Viaduct. Follow cycle path into Killin, up and over into Glen Lyon and either left to Bridge of Orchy for the train home, or right and up and over to Rannoch via the Lairig Gallabhaich (almost certainly misspelt) and train home from there.

Lots of great stuff in and around Dalwhinnie as well, can take you all the way to Ft Bill pretty much on decent tracks.

tjagain

HOw about. Dalwhinnie south west down towards loch pattack then north to lochan na hearba. Loop round the lochs and back to Laggan, return onthe road. 30 odd miles, no single track, mostly off road

richmtb

Glen Finglas is pretty much 100% fire road and stunning on a nice day. Bastard of a climb though!

towzer

See – http://scotland.forestry.gov.uk/images/pdf/rec_pdfs/MidArgyllCyclingLeaflet.pdf

posted as nearby Crinan canal is a fab(imho) bimble

we’ve done the Ardnoe trail – hilly, fab views, vast majoriry was forest road – with a bit of not too ruff stuff

Trekster

http://www.southofscotlandcountrysidetrails.co.uk/uploads/pdfs/HST_INF_ITT_020-Temporary-Diversion-of-Countryside-Trail.pdf

There are many roads in Ae forest, some new ones at the top end near Beattock still to be explored.
    I have a Ridley X Trail “gravel” bike and have been revisiting a lot of the forest/farm/coastal tracks I began my “off road” cycling as it used to be called a few years ago 😉 You can also add the “old” forest across the road from the main car park/Ae cafe to cycle up to Loch Ettrick before entering the main Ae tracks on the Mitchellslacks road.
    Lots of options.

It’s possible to link Dumfries on cycle paths, minor roads, Dalswinton wind farm through Auchentaggert forest and into Ae to join that route up for a big day out.

It is also possible to ride out to Mabie on either road or cycle paths and then over to Dalbeattie. You can choose to cycle the coastal path from Sandyhills or from Portling all the way to Kipford before entering Dalbeattie forest, or alternatively at Colvend.

Lots over riding in and around the Kirroughtree area which somafunk is better able to advise . The 7Stanes Glentrool route would be good as is the gravel bike event route which mostly uses the trail.

I have also done a loop of the Annandale Way joining the linked route back to Ae / Dumfries(45mls I think)

Happy to meet for advice or guide if dates suit(weekends)

joshvegas
    Free Member

You’re over thinking this. Scottish roads are either dissintegrating into gravel or juat been surface dressed WITH gravel.

dovebiker

Capital Trail starts at Portobello Beach, takes you into Border Country, across the Southern Uplands Way to the Tweed Valley and then back up through the Pentlands and back through the centre of Auld Reekie including the Golden Mile and Arthur’s Seat.

The-Beard

You’re over thinking this. Scottish roads are either dissintegrating into gravel or juat been surface dressed WITH gravel.

This ^^^

Roads round here (Galloway) are shocking. There are plenty of cracking fire roads that you can link up with sections of rapidly disintegrating tarmac roads. Grab an OS Explorer map and fill yer boots.

Steve_B

Interesting thread as like Trekster I have been exploring some of the areas were I started out, but which are def less fashionable now – guess its an age thing in my case. I have also just persuaded my good lady to get a hybrid for putting in miles on easier riding so interested in ideas.

Perhaps best for the OP to check what his visitor means by gravel riding. Eroded Scottish hill tracks might not be what she has in mind 🙂

Around Aviemore and Nethy Bridge would also be my first thought as we discovered a lot of the tracks no longer need a mountain bike.
    Pattack I agree also has potential.

Glen Ogle can be made into a circular route by going through Glen Ample as it has an estate path running all the way through it – though do G Ample first and return G Ogle

This place is usually so dismissive of Glentrool I hadn’t considered it as an option, maybe need to reconsider

G Tilt, unless out and back to the bridge, would involve a fair bit of carrying on the Beinn a Ghlo circuit

G Finglas unless equipped with legs of steel and excellent brakes would be a bit masochistic on a cross bike in my view – tho I know others have done it.

Falkirk does now have the Wheel and the Helix and a (poorly) signposted circuit between them which makes for an entertaining few hours so not totally daft for a visitor – tho maybe not high on a must do list

Another option is the forest tracks from Aberfoyle – heading out through Milton to the south of L ard and then over towards L Chon. A lot of the forest has recently been cleared and there are some spectacular views. There is then potential for a loop around L Katrine and a return over by the L Drunkie tracks to take in the Trossachs

towzer

*Re Trossachs – for a different experience get the steamer out and cycle back – awesome
    http://trossachs-scotland.co.uk/steam.htm

vmgscot

Galloway Forest

somafunk

Check out The Raiders Road forest drive, Gatehouse of Fleet (Gatehouse viaduct) to Clatteringshaws, Clatteringshaws to Loch Trool (part of 7stanes big day out trail @ Glentrool) and finally Carrick Drive – All listed here. Galloway is also a dark sky park so night time star watching is pretty stunning if you get clear skies above.

Or just head to Aviemore/Rothiemurches area as there’s any amount of fantastic riding up there

😉

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Best Scottish "gravel" rides’ is closed to new replies.