• This topic has 121 replies, 76 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by copa.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)
  • Unexpected Strava results
  • copa
    Free Member

As MG saes there is a line around the step, but much of the climb is so cobbly cleaning it in the wet is a real achievement.

Smart, I’ll give that a go next time. I was a bit wary because of the scary looking drop on that side, it was also pretty slippy after raining.

molgrips
    Free Member

It used to be about 2″ wide but now it’s spread out a lot more it’s much easier.

mooman
    Free Member

I could be tempted to dust the mtb off … been awhile since it got taken out, and somebody`s gotta be on hand to call the ambulance for Taxi25.

Saxonrider too busy writing on here, or taking photos of his new slim line figure to ride his bike. Priorities eh James!!

bigyinn
    Free Member

My favourite isn’t a KOM, but a 4th place (out of 711) on a road climb!
    What made it more satisfying was I set it a 3am whilst being simultaneously pissed and stoned, on my MTB with slicks.

Im still 5th nearly 3 years later.

trickydisco
    Free Member

9 KOMs here – All from around 4-5 years ago when i was fit and riding loads.

Best one is 1st out of 3236 but it’s incredibly short at 0.2 miles <gloat mode>and hasn’t been beaten since 2013!

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I’ll be going for that KOM maybe Friday evening maybe tomorrow evening, but not sure if I’m in this weekend or not. Not in next weekend either.

paule
    Free Member

Looked at that map on the previous page, and I’ve got one where I’m KOM (although 2nd overall, as the QOM is 40s faster) and 6 seconds faster than Tim Gould, one of my heroes when I started racing as a kid 🙂

4 of my 9 are high speed road descents, often where hitting them with the right timing for the lights is the issue.

Got quite a few random fell running ones (with me as the only “athlete”, and 1 attempt) turns out I’ve got auto-create for segments turned on!

uselesshippy
    Free Member

My best KOM is on a segment I made myself called “field writing” I rode about 1.5 miles around a field near tunnel hill, to spell out the word “BOOBS” in big letters 😀

tlr

I’ve got a few KOMs, mainly around the Peak, and I have got a couple on road out of 4000 people which was a big enough surprise.

However my favourite is this bit of randomness from Spain a couple of weeks ago:

[/url]

Its just GPS error, but 16 other people had had the same error so Strava created a segment for it, going uphill at 65kph, and 90bpm.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

18 KOM’s, but 2nd place on the Widowmaker is my favourite.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

I know strava has a lot of naysayers but for me I’d be nowhere near as fit as I am if it wasn’t for it. In summer I often make a point of targeting certain segments so it ties in with my training on that day. Around the Trough of Bowland there’s loads of (road) segments to go at, 1-2min all out sprints, 4-5min vo2 max efforts, 20min FTP all the way up to 1-2hr endurance rides. Like others have said its good to look back on your previous efforts to see how your improving. A top 10 or a kom is always a bonus as well 😉

dirtyrider
    Free Member

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have just checked for the first time and I have 43 kom’s, some road and some mtb. A few I’m pleased about but some are local bits that you wouldn’t bother putting any effort into and I got them without realising. Amazes me what people create as a segment.
    I do really like strava. Despite the haters I find it a good way to create an interval type ride which isn’t as boring as a normal interval ride and I can use live segments on my garmin to race my previous times. I really don’t care too much about other people times and mainly compare myself to myself. But the odd kom is nice I won’t lie.

SaxonRider

SaxonRider has just checked in, and is willing to take some time off from starting unpopular threads to go for a ride. Bearing in mind, of course, that my mountain biking skills suck.

I say we do a day on the mtb followed by a day on the road…

nedrapier

You should all clearly be female

A lady friend of mine claims that the reason she’s got 6 pages of QOMs is that she’s female, not cos she’s quick.

I think it might be a bit of both!

Clover

Where are you lot finding the total?

I have 12 pages but I didn’t realise that they were all QOMs until you made me look. I’m not that sad that I’m going to sit around counting them. Also, do they disappear off the total when someone takes one off you?

cloudnine
    Free Member

2 road KOMS this year.. particular proud of the 1.3 mile segment thats -2% gradient. Managed an average speed of 29.8mph… #1 /1372 with 2981 attempts.

Annoyingly hardly any of my mates even noticed that one 😆

My best (MTB) is 1/684 (1582 efforts), but Strava doesn’t even show all my KOM’s when I click on achievements – currently showing 4, but I have at least a couple more I know of

v8ninety

Are we allowed to be chuffed with downhill backroad segments? Because Strava doesn’t like it, for reasons of not encouraging us to kill ourselves on public roads, but truth be told I’m enormously chuffed with my mile long 1/542 KOM on a segment called Balls Of Steel… 😆 😆

mooman
    Free Member

No – you should be embarrassed to have a KOM on a road descent; it often only means your fat, stupid … or both.
    Rolling down a steep hill assisted by a considerable belly and ignorant of the dangers to yourself, or others, is not a demonstration of fitness or strength.

BadlyWiredDog

Wow! A quintessential STW humblebrag thread… 🙂

I didn’t even know I was on Strava until I read this thread and checked. Then I realised that those 300 odd pages were all records of KoMs I hadn’t realised I held – I’ve just been tootling around off road in the Peak on my fixie, singlespeed track bike pulling a trailer with a picnic on it 😉

amedias
    Free Member

I don’t normally give much of a toss about KOMs on Strava as I normally only use it to track my own progress but there is one I really really want, because I’ve been sitting in 2nd on it for a couple of years (one of the red route descents at a local TC)

I know I’ll never get it, everyone behind me is like 1 or 2 seconds off, and then there’s a whopping 7 second gap to the guy at the top (and yes it’s genuine I know who he is) and there is no way I can ever get another 7 seconds off that ~3 min descent, I’ve tried so many times! 🙁

For someone who doesn’t normally care this one bothers me just because I’m so close but yet so far…bloody Strava making me try harder, grrr…

This one is bugging me – I had KOM by 10s for a year. I’m now 14s off the lead in 3rd.

Trouble is, I did it on my S-Works Enduro with 3×9 – not a chance I will be able to take it back with 1×11 (top speed 31mph, average 24mph)

Beeley green lane

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

mooman – Member
    No – you should be embarrassed to have a KOM on a road descent; it often only means your fat, stupid … or both.

Now I just don’t get this. If your on a mtb and get a downhill kom everyone nods in appreciation (well, apart from the guy/girl who’s just lost it 🙂 ) on your rad skills but if you get one on the road it’s a bit meh ? To be a able to descend quickly (and safely) is surely a great skill to have ? To see some of the top tour guys (Sagan, Nibali Spring to mind) come down some of the big alpine mountains is truly breathtaking.

g5604
    Free Member

There are 6 uphill segments on my commute I am top 5 on all of them, but the margins are huge to the KOM – always someone faster

crispedwheel
    Free Member

143 KOMs here – mixture of road and offroad in my local area. Offroad ones much easier to get as far fewer people ride them.

mrmo
    Free Member

only 34, including one set sitting behind a tractor, i lost another on that ride to someone sitting behind a horse box. Off road ones are easy, it is the road KOMs that take the effort.

molgrips
    Free Member

Depends on where you live I suppose. Lots of fast people where I live and lots of local trails so on the well known trails the standard is high.

jam-bo

What is amazing is how everyone here appears to be well above average…

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

I have to confess to being a Strava bully using this tool http://labs.strava.com/achievement-map

Last year whilst out for a sunny mtb ride I got a Kom without trying. The segment was one of those which is a boggy mire 360 days of the year. I just got it on one of the 5 days it’s dry. The following day the original Kom holder nabbed it back off me. Well a few months ago when I discovered that tool I realised how useful it could be and entered this chap’s user id into it, saw all his koms and created a route incorporating as many of them as possible whilst trying to keep a nice flowing circuitous route. I took 7 of them in one ride and absolutely killed his times. I suspect he doesn’t like strava so much now.

TheSanityAssassin

What I find a bit disappointing is that if you match a current KOM you don’t get a share in it in your achievements. I’ve equalled 2 or 3 local segments, along with the 4 (all road) outright KOMs that I hold, but it appears that you have to beat the previous KOM to get the award – or indeed be beaten to lose it.

v8ninety

Rolling down a steep hill assisted by a considerable belly and ignorant of the dangers to yourself, or others, is not a demonstration of fitness or strength.

😆 Well, that’s told me; Hilarious! 😆 Thing is, probably in common with a lot of native MTBerists, I only go up so I can go down, quickly, and with a shit eating grin on my face. I don’t really get the whole ‘pleasure from extreme pain of grinding out a tedious climb’ thing. The fact that I happened to do it quickly enough to get a KOM on a mile long knadgery bit of descending back lane (which is national speed limit and not in a baby robin breeding area) just makes me smile even more. So thank you Strava, you’ve increased my enjoyment of my chosen past time and motivated me to lose some more of my ‘considerable belly’. 😆

frood
    Free Member

Northwind

I held the KOM for the innerleithen downhill pushup for ages I push like a champ apparently.

There’s a pushup at inners? Surely you don’t mean the lovely little technical climb to the top of plora?

molgrips
    Free Member

I took 7 of them in one ride and absolutely killed his times.

😆

Strava punishment.. love it 🙂

acidtest
    Free Member

Got a couple of pages worth around the Surrey Hills ranging from out of 8 to a couple of thousand. Nearly killed myself going for a top 50 along telegraphs, live segments will be the death of me.

Klunk
    Free Member
    jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I get frustrated by the segment where I’m 2nd on Stockport Station approach. The KOM clearly had his Strava on when on a passing train as he clocked an average speed of 95.8MPH

jam-bo

so flag the ride if you’re that bothered

christhetall
    Free Member

A lady friend of mine claims that the reason she’s got 6 pages of QOMs is that she’s female, not cos she’s quick.

Just discovered I have a running KOM, which is odd because I’m quite slow, and the route in question is one which I did as social night run, with people even slower, and a dog who occasionally sprints but mostly dawdles.

Turns out I actually 5th out of 7 – the 4 ahead of me are all women !

fooman

I like it when me & my wife are KoM and QoM of a segment makes me feel like we’re Strava Royalty. You may kiss the hem of my Castelli jersey! I know I’m no great shakes on a bike but I have a handful at less ridden places – I had a few days in Hereford recently & got a bunch, are bikes pre-pneumatic there of something?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘Unexpected Strava results’ is closed to new replies.