Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Best reason to turn down a job
  • ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Following on from the best reasons for being turned down, whats the best reason you’ve got for turning one down………

Mines a sub 100 quid a year payrise for going from a corporate drone to a technical management role. Also requiring a relocation, with no relocation package.

Cheeky sods.

allthegear
    Free Member

I once turned down a job because I had also been offered a job the same day by the company next door to it.

I turned down a job at Condé Nast in the 90’s – the publishers of Vogue etc. I’m still trying to think of a good reason.

Rachel

BigDummy
    Free Member

“Because the person I’m replacing is not actually going to leave, and they are literally insane”

… would have been a great one. But I had given away everything I owned and moved to the other side of the world before they told me. Hey ho.

🙂

Xylene
    Free Member

I sat in an interview in a hotel suite in London, it was for aschool in the ME. As the interview progressed I realised that I had absolutely no interest in working at this school, nothing, it was as if a void of blackness had engulfed my desire to work there.

So I got up, told them I wasn’t interested in the job as I didn’t feel we were the right fit for each other and left. Hottest day in February in years, so I went to Hyde park with an 8 pack of Heinekein and drank it all, before getting the train home, and spending it talking to a professor from Syria, at Durham uni.

So where is the turning down bit.

About 6 months later, I received an email offering me the job, I politely turned it down, with a thank you I have just signed a new contract.

How desperate must they have been to do that!!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Working as a consultant on a big IT project with several other companies involved. One was staffed by brain dead oxygen thieves.

We were discussing what needed to be on a report showing weekly call centre volumes, a simple report showing each call centre and the volume and average duration of the call. This other company were due to deliver this report 2 weeks later. The deadline came and went and it started to affect other parts of the project.

I was sent over to try and work out the delay and it turns out they were having a big debate about the font sizes and colours because one of the coders was a football fan and wanted the call centres to be in the colours of the local football teams. I was shocked, stunned and angry and explained at the next high level meeting that this kind of bell-endery could not go on. That company were removed from the project.

The boss of the company called me up to see if I would work for them. I thought it might be a good careeer move to turn the company around but the MD was also a bell-end who wanted me to explain why they had been thrown off the account for a 4 week delay while they agreed on the colours for a report to be printed out in black and white.

Reason for not taking the job?
    You don’t have the intelligence to understand my answer to that so lets just say goodbye.

matt_outandabout

Thank you for the job offer, however working at Grimsby is not for me.

Thank you for the interview, however taking three weeks to decide between myself and another candidate, while calling to see what the lowest salary I would take, has made me suspicious of your organisation as a supportive future employer. That and the fact the charity commission website shows you are £2m in debt and under investigation means I am withdrawing my application.

Yes I have cut short a family holiday for an interview for senior position at Ullswater Outward Bound, however that means I am not interested in the junior position at Aberdovey and yes I am put out by the fact you filled the advertised post last week internally…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

2 in a month, one was because is was in Walsall and badly paid, the second was in the north east apart from the asbestos bit sounded good then got an offer that was nearly double what either the other 2 were going to pay and living in the lakes. Decent enough reasons

somouk
    Free Member

one was because is was in Walsall and badly paid

I wouldn’t have moved to Walsall either and I only live down the road.

DaveRambo

This slightly applies…

Was chased by an agent to apply for a role at a competitor. Almost everything about the role was the same so I declined but he talked me into having a phone interview. On the interview I asked them the question of why would I change for the same money doing the same things, in a very similar culture. They didn’t take it as I expected and reported back that of all the candidates I was the only one suitable and they wanted me to attend a second face to face interview with the head of division (or whatever)

The agent was very excited as they were hard to please it seems so tried to talk me into taking the following day as a holiday (or calling in sick) and making a 100 mile drive to meet the head of for a breakfast meeting at 7am.

I guess it pays to be disinterested.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Got offered a job in Basingstoke

zippykona

I would never take a job if they listened to kiss or capital radio.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Had a job offer, big pay rise. Easy job. Like most above I couldn’t think of a good reason to take the job. My children told me I had another option. Retire. I did. Best bit of advice ever and I claim best excuse to turn down a job. Thank you children.

jam-bo

I would never take a job where there was piped radio…

vondally
    Free Member

The interview was conducted by a male wearing a suit, very very saville row with baseball cap Washington redskins and espadrilles.

MoreCashThanDash

I once turned down a 50% pay rise and very generous relocation package that was attached to my ideal next career move. The recruitment agent had a melt down on the phone.

Half an hour later she rang me back – they had offered a 60% rise and congratulations on my ballsiness. Honestly, what did they expect me to do when one of the reasons they wanted me was for my negotiating skills?

And it was the best career move of my life. Shame it’s been downhill ever since….

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Early twenties I turned down an offer to talk dirty down the phone to ladies for money. Didn’t give the boss a reason as such (said would think it over) but the fact that I found her uncomfortably attractive was certainly a huge factor in my politely declining. She drove a metallic gold Merc, highlighted Lady-Di haircut, sported a salon-tan, stilletos and an ankle-bracelet. Thought I’d be safe from such tasteless charms but no, she somehow carried it off to powerful effect with ridiculous confidence and a very direct gaze.

badnewz
    Free Member

Early twenties I turned down an offer to talk dirty down the phone to ladies for money.

Don’t s’pse you know if they are still recruiting by any chance?

lemonysam
    Free Member

I turned one down because in a half hour interview I’d managed to say about five sentences. That manager would have driven me nuts!

Klunk
    Free Member

i turned down a job at digital domain summer 96, had driven past a number of schools on the way to venice beach studio and they all had metal detectors at the entrances and razor wire fences so i thought, nah!

mattyfez

Turned down an IT contract role a few years back, the agent called me back two or three times to try and persuade me – They were offering £8.50 per hour. Upon asking if that was an estimation after I’d paid my national insurance, Tax and expenses etc…no that was the top line!

They didn’t seem to understand that I don’t work for free, and were ‘very keen to get me onboard’ – I bet they were! 😐

chewkw
    Free Member

I turn down a cowboy British consulting firm in the far east because they wanted me to pay for all my traveling expenses, hotel and etc using my own money in advance when working for them … I did not even have a debit/credit card in those days. 😯

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Cuz “We’ve already got someone who’s done all the work we’re asking you to do , we think it’s probably crap though … you’ll be working alongside him … “

I should’ve turned that one down, shouldn’t I?

terrahawk
    Free Member

I’ve just turned one down this morning. The only reason is that I’ve been in my current job for 24 years, I’ve got loads of mates here and they let me store my caravan indoors here for nowt.
    I used to be a lot more career-minded than this. Now all I want is a comfy chair, some decent teabags and maximum holiday entitlement.

qwerty
    Free Member

I turned down a job, that totally suited me, which i was head hunted for, and one which i’d of loved, because it would of made it harder to leave London, & i really wanted out of the city. Maybe a regret, maybe not.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

An average ago, I interviewed for a sales role, second interview, which was pitched as a formality, not a test. Interviewer opened with, “Drink?”

I replied that just water would be fine, as I was going to be driving shortly afterwards.

“Have a drink. Go on.”

Erm, no. Thanks, but I don’t drink and drive. At all. Zero.

“Just one drink is fine, though.”

I thanked him for his time and walked out.

leftyboy
    Free Member

I turned down a job when I found out that it involved installing software from an encrypted CD-ROM into frontline battlefield systems in Iraq. At both the first and second interview there was the mention of travel to Germany for 1 week in every 4 with a very generous package.

Once I’d asked is there any other travel involved the visit Iraq once a month to deploy code was mentioned. I challenged this as this effectively meant 2 weeks a month in the UK 2 weeks away one in a hazardous environment. At this point the company involved told me it wasn’t dangerous but there was a daily allowance for being ‘in the field’, the details eventually emerged that the allowance was between £500 and £1,000 a day!

At that point I declined the offer. The company involved was small and had only every employed ex-services previously, they just couldn’t understand why I wasn’t keen on being ‘in the field’!

legend
    Free Member

My would-be manager clearly had no idea what I would be doing if I’d started working for them. She also had a hefty mustache

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Best reason to turn down a job’ is closed to new replies.