Viewing 27 posts - 121 through 147 (of 147 total)
  • Fatbikes
  • Lester
    Free Member

for anyone interested i have a carbon beargrease in size large for sale on the fat bike selling facebook page for £1500 🙂
    i bought a bucksaw, as fat bikes are ace

slimjim78
    Free Member

But then being O-O the frames will be £150-£200 soon enough, blutos are ‘only’ £450, O-O wheels+tyres are £250, £30 for a headset and £70 for some cranks and you’re down to needing normal spares box stuff and it’s only cost £1k (the same as the complete bike) and you’re free to upgrade the bits ytou like

I’m trying to work out a cheapo build cost – where are you seeing their wheels+tyres for £250?
    I can only spot the V2 wheelset for £300 plus tyres at £80 the pair. I ‘think’ i’d rather the V2’s as aren’t they the easier set to run tubelss?

With the classic fatty at £800 currently and the same spec as the carbon fork fatty, you can instead buy a carbon fork for £99 and come in £100 cheaper than the carbon fork version (I hope that makes sense).
    So, £900 for a fatty/carbon.

However, if you dig a little deeper you can also find that smart looking Tomac Hesperus full carbon jobbie for £1500 with full 11sp X01. Then you can start the prolonged justification process..

5thElefant
    Free Member

However, if you dig a little deeper you can also find that smart looking Tomac Hesperus full carbon jobbie for £1500 with full 11sp X01. Then you can start the prolonged justification process..

I kept ending up at the Hespersus. The hope of a full sized Dune next year has put that on hold for the moment (for the frame, forks and wheels).

Lester
    Free Member

if you are going to run blutos, these are fantastic value

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/WBOOEELF/on-one-emmental-fat-rim-on-el-guapo-fat-hubs

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m trying to work out a cheapo build cost – where are you seeing their wheels+tyres for £250?
    I can only spot the V2 wheelset for £300 plus tyres at £80 the pair. I ‘think’ i’d rather the V2’s as aren’t they the easier set to run tubelss?

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/WBOOEELF/on-one-emmental-fat-rim-on-el-guapo-fat-hubs

The V2 is just the original fatty wheelset with slightly updated hubs, means the 135mm front hub can be changed to 15mm (but then you need to figure out how to get it to 150mm wide for a bluto, not impossible but a little more faff than just putting adapters in. Floaters are £25 each (or were when I bought them). The emmental’s will only work with the bluto though, not the On-One fork.

As for tubeless in the original wheels, it’s a little faffy, but not impossible. People with compressors claim they get them up with just gorilla tape and sealent, I found it took, foam, tape, washing up liquid, and a lot of swearing with a track pump the first time (since then they go up 1st time each time).

Northwind

The Emmenthal rims seem to be the same as you get on the Dune, and for OE on a £500 bike they’re fine but I wouldn’t pay actual money for em. Don’t know about the hubs though, I’d assume they’re better than mine!

NormalMan

How are you getting on with your Dune NW?

Northwind

Only had it out a few times but loving it tbh, great fun. Nothing Dune-specific about that to be fair, I’m sure any traily fatty would be much the same. Needs more front tyre though, got a Bud on order. Spending £80 on a tyre for a £500 bike feels weird!

lightman
    Free Member

There are two pairs off OO Fatty wheels plus tyres, on ebay at the moment.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Just looked on one ones site, trail fatty has £100 off at the moment (was £1699)

I was looking at the Scott big Ed for £1599, thinking yeah £100 less than the on-one, although the Scott doesn’t have the XO1 or a reverb I’d put that £100 towards XT 1×11!

Id rather have the canyon dude, but their not on canyons site at the moment, anyone know if their still stocking the dude for 2016?

NormalMan

Thanks for the reply NW.

Hope you keep on enjoying it.

I’ve got a 2 day loan of a fat bike over the next week (just waiting on a call to firm up which days). Can’t wait!

NormalMan

Doing my best to get one in time!

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve just upgraded my very well specced oo for a carbon beargrease so after a bit of fettling today I’m off for my maiden ride in the morning.

Suggsey
    Free Member

First proper trail riding since June’s injury stopped play….went to the Chase on my Dune, had a ride round the North Side, over the quarry just to see if I could climb the gravel climb at the side which for the first time ever I managed….and easier than only getting the first 20 metres on the normal trail bike.
    Found the limits of adhesion in super soft off camber mud…..a few times……roots are breeze, even slick wet roots. Despite only having the tyre as suspension my injured shoulder didn’t hurt at any time….it actually felt like I had more suspension than on the 29er with 100mm travel forks plus no irritating trail buzz.
    Came back cleaner than on normal trail bike in same conditions too.
    Self steer on off camber fire roads was an odd sensation but none when riding singletrack trails.
    Lack of a dropper post was the only real drawback…..that and I’m tired now 😆
    If you haven’t tried one you need one in your quiver……

tillydog
    Free Member

He’s given you just over a year 😉

thv3
    Free Member

Having tried my best to ignore these threads, while I was in Edinburgh yesterday afternoon I went for a quick “look” at the Dune in Go Outdoors.

Anyway….. it’s now currently in my living room having had the cable disc brakes replaced this morning. Managed to get the 10% off as someone else had mentioned, as it was the last one and was on display. At £521, I’ve paid more for components before!

Northwind, Suggsey etc, that’s 1 more commission for the STW Dune selling team 😉

chrisylad24
    Free Member

I’ve had my felt fatty since March its been used on everything from trail centres to the beach ,I absolutely love the thing was starting to get a bit jaded with MTb till I got it now I get miserable if I can’t get out on it Begun to think maybe some blutos and then my rarely used fs can go

NormalMan

tillydog – Member
    He’s given you just over a year

Hadn’t spotted that! 🙂

Hope it won’t take that long!

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Awesome, but all this big wheel action has been seeing me looking an awful lot at a Trek Stache 7. I think the bikes would overlap too much though.

fd3chris
    Free Member

@ Johnny boy I just demoed a stache after waiting weeks for it and that’s my thought exactly. I have a oo fatty but just bought a salsa with the money for the stache. It doesn’t help that I’ve already got a short chainstayed 29er either but the stache was neither here nor there for me.

slimjim78
    Free Member

My impressive stature calf muscles used to hit the seat stays on an old Alpinestars cro-mega I once owned, I’m worried that the OO Fatty frame will also hit my calves as it looks such a wide junction with the extra tyre clearance built in.

I don’t have the opportunity to try before I buy and am hoping to bid on a set of the OO wheels on the bay ending in an hour… Need someone to put my mind at ease

anotherstan
    Free Member

my ‘less than impressive’ calf muscles don’t catch the seat stays on my fatty, but they do catch on my mukluk.

use that information as you please 😕

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Had my Caribou 12months now. I only really use it for dog walking and tag-alonging but it’ll be ready for duty when the snows come. I had a go at ghetto tubelessing when I first got it but the Weinmann HL80’s were not having it. Anyway was out today and got my first puncture so got to thinking it might be time to upgrade the rims and get something a bit better and tubeless friendly.

My limited fatbike knowledge naturally pointed me towards the on-one v2 wheelset which seems reasonable at £300. (Wouldn’t wanna spend more than that tbh) anyone recommend these or have any better ideas? Ta

NormalMan

It takes me all the way back to the 80s and my first MTB experiences – it might not be the fastest but it’s the most fun getting there

When dovebiker wrote this, this was the very escence of why I wanted a fatbike. A weekend riding a loaner Pug and now I own one. Totally loving it.

johnnystorm

Jaffejoffer,

The Fatty V2 wheelset is the same as the V1 bar better hubs, I.e. The rims are still rubbish for tubeless, in fact my fatty arrived with the front tyre completely off the rim so they’re rubbish with tubes too! I’d look at the Halo Tundra wheelsets from Crc, etc for similar money. They’re drilled too. The on one El Guapo wheelsets might be better than the fatty ones.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

cheers johnny. having done a bit of reading up the consensus is the tundras are not so great for converting to tubeless?

Viewing 27 posts - 121 through 147 (of 147 total)

The topic ‘Fatbikes’ is closed to new replies.