Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Best Man Speech Ideas
  • corundum
    Free Member

Best mate has asked me to due the duties at his upcoming nuptials, agreed with gusto at the time, thinking ‘i’m a fairly funny guy’ i’ll cruise this. However now that i’ve sat down to write, am really struggling with the speech.
    I’ve got the usual tosh of thanking people and embarrassing groom stories, however he’s marrying a doctor (surgeon to be precise) and i can’t get any humour in there, thats wedding friendly. Tried google etc, but nothing terribly funny or clever is coming up.
    Reaching out to see if anyone has a similar experience or been to a wedding for doctors to give me a starting points for some ideas?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Christ don’t try and be funny!

jamesmio
    Free Member

Golden rule of wedding speeches – your speech is for the WHOLE audience, not your mates.

I was BM at my mate’s wedding recently and he (groom) made the (common) schooboy error of trying to make his mates laugh, and it was car-crash, toe-curlingly cringeworthy in parts and almost painful at times.

Having made the same mistake myself a few years back, I found and read this book:

It doesn’t give you a load of cliches and toilet humour that you’ll get in 3/4’s of Best Man’s speeches over the years. Instead it gets you thinking in a much, much better way.

Having used it for inspiration for my own BM speech in the summer, I can vouch whole heartedly for it – it worked an absolute treat. I still get people commenting on how good my speech went down (and I am NOT a good, natural or regular public speaker – quite the opposite).

niall1975
    Free Member

Speak to her friends and see if they have any good stories about her. Best man rule is to go easy on the bride however.

Niall

blader1611
    Free Member

The best speech i heard had no jokes in it, just good stories of escapades that most people in the room didnt know about. It was done in a self deprecating style by the best man so made the groom feel good about himself and it felt a bit more personal rather than just stuff to fit crap jokes in.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Finish up with, a few complimetary phrases, then “when they made him, the broke the mold. They had to, it was crap”

andrewh
    Free Member

Best one I ever heard the BM bought the bride a load of presents – helmet,armbands,stabilisers (for bikes with or without engines) that sort if thing.
    Premise was “I’ve had to keep him alive for the last 30 years,now it’s your turn. You’ll need these…” Each one had a little anecdote to go with it. Brilliant.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

A best man’s speech isn’t a stand-up comedy routine. It’s expected that you’ll poke fun at the Groom but keep it tasteful.

But overall the speech should be light-hearted and sincere with funny moments but no-one will be expecting laughs from start to finish.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Best Man Speech Ideas’ is closed to new replies.