• This topic has 25 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by jeffl.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Best glasses for not fogging?
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

My Roka Matador glasses got pinged into a bush today and there’s no hope of getting them back.

I’ve always struggled with glasses fogging – I’m a sweaty boy, and despite using a spray used by divers which does help reduce it, the Matadors still fogged up a lot.

Has anyone got any recommendations for clear riding glasses that keep the mud and rain out but are less prone to fogging?

jeffl

I’ve just ordered some of those Banana Industries BananaOptics riding glasses in the PSA thread. Will report back once they arrive and I’ve taken them for a ride or two.

snotrag

Oakley Radar ‘Advancer’, not sure if they do other models in the ‘advancer’ spec.

Theres a little toggle on the nose bridge, you flick it, and the lens moves way from your face – and instantly demists. its brilliant.

Got them half price through a PSA here a couple of years back, would never have bought them but then now I own them, they are brill and would replace like-for-like if i needed.

stanley

I suffer from profuse sweating and steaming up of glasses (thanks to hormone therapy). The best that I have found are Oakley Radars. The lenses are slightly vented, and they can be pushed forward a bit on climbs. That said, I also use Zeiss anti-fog spray on these and still suffer steaming up, and sweat marks on the inside, on the slower climbs. I usually look to give them a quick rinse every couple of hours with a shot of water from a bottle.

I’d also like to hear others’ recommendations.

Edit- might try that Advancer model.

snotrag

These ones – You can see the little linkage on the noise piece.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/glasses-goggles/oakley-radar-ev-cycling-sunglasses

jkomo

The closer it sits the more it fogs.
    Mental frames with nose pads on arms fog less than plastic frames that sit right on the face.

I’m a sweater and can recommend the glasses I recommend every time there’s a glasses recomendation thread – Endura Dorado II

orena45

The Rad8 507 is really good. Vented lenses and sit a bit further away from the face than their other models.

I’ve been using Rad8’s since the beginning and the latest 507 design is the best so far with regards to not fogging up. A couple of years of use in mild and damp Cornish winters (and summers :-/ ) and I really haven’t had an issue with them misting up.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered some of those Banana Industries BananaOptics riding glasses in the PSA thread. Will report back once they arrive and I’ve taken them for a ride or two.

bought some last week and had my first ride with them at the weekend. Early days but absolutely zero complaints. Didn’t realise I was wearing them half the time which I take to be a good sign…

jkomo

Metal

Northwind

Literally anything you like, plus a coating of Nikwax Visor Proof. Costs a tenner but nobody has ever managed to finish a bottle, it’ll last you forever. Just spray, wipe, dead easy, do not get it on a linoleum floor or you’ll die next time you walk on it in socks. It also helps water to run off, though you need to be going fast for that to really work.

It’s more effective than any factory coating ime. But some glasses are naturally sweatier/have less airflow so that comes into it too, I hate having airflow over my eyes so I like close and protective glasses and that does mean they might still fog up no matter what you do. Ventilated or more stood off glasses are better for fog, I just never found it to be worth the tradeoff

dyna-ti

You used to be able to get a little block of wax(claimed it was other, but it was simply a little block of wax). Put a smear on the lens and then polish it, spreading the ‘wax’ across the surface. This prevented fogging.

It did work, but you needed to apply it pretty often.

Kryton57

After losing a pair of Oakleys somewhere on w2, I raced in some new Sungod Velans at the weekend.  No fogging and the clarity was bloody amazing, proper fit and forget – recommended.

radbikebro

I also struggle with fogging being a sweaty mess. The best glasses I’ve ever come across are from Heatwave Visual.

Safety glass, good range of colours/styles/sizes, including clear glass. But I can’t find them in the UK so I have to pay the tax on import which does drive the price up a bit.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

bought some last week and had my first ride with them at the weekend. Early days but absolutely zero complaints. Didn’t realise I was wearing them half the time which I take to be a good sign…

Another update – wore them again last night and zero fogging. Brilliant things…

Klunk
    Free Member

I tend to find it’s anything without a bottom frame.

bikesandboots

Melon Optics Alleycat work well for me, and I run hot and sweaty.

No bottom frame as it happens. Anything that fits close on any side will impede airflow.

The Endura’s I posted about can be run with or without bottom frame. There’s a nose piece you add if you take the frame off

mmannerr

I have had good luck with Julbo Rush and Stream -series, they have vented lenses and some tech on inside of the lens to help with fogging. Any fogging is cleared really fast but I have to say the inside is somewhat difficult to clean.

jeffl

Went for a short 1 hour ride yesterday evening to test out the Banana Optics glasses. Clear lenses as it was around 7pm.

No fogging and could feel the ventilation on the lenses. Previously used some bolle safety specs which would fog up a bit and need pulling away from my face. These were much better.

Not sure I’d buy them at the RRP but at the current DFS style discount price I’m well happy with them.

TiRed

Vented lenses and no bottom frame work for me. Koo Alibis have been my most recent purchase. That’s with contacts. No fogging, event in the rain. By contrast my Rudy Rydons with an Rx insert are almost dangerous when the rain comes and misting starts. I have just found an Rx insert for the Alibis so will have that glazed and report back.

mrslice

Ordered a pair of the Banana Optics based on the recs here, due to arrive today. Hopefully will try them out over the weekend!

nickc

Oakley Jawbreaker for me, first pair of riding glasses I’ve had that don’t just fog over. I sweat a lot as well.

pothead
    Free Member

Oakley Jawbreaker for me

+1

jeffl

Mid-ride pub based update on the BananaOptics. No fogging at all, even on a steep 5 minute pushup out of a valley with no wind to speak of, when I was sweating like a pig.

Only annoyance for me is that on rough descents the top of the frames knock my helmet. Or more accurately, the helmet knocks the glasses. Will have a play and see if I can adjust them to avoid this.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.